Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #41
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
wasn't jyoti on the defund the police train?
If you listen to Farkas on the last Jesperson podcast he's in favour of defunding the police, he says it himself. Of course that doesn't stop him from lying about his position and trying to scare people away from Gondek, who is by FAR a much better candidate and representative for the city.

Last edited by AFireInside; 10-15-2021 at 03:15 PM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #42
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand the love-in for Gondek. More or less every time I heard her speak in debates or interviews (albeit I missed the last one) she sounds like someone who knows some of the things she needs to say but there is absolutely no substance or any sense of detail.

That top 5 leadership debate was comical. Every single time I was asking myself "what is she even talking about?"

I don't get what everyone is so impressed with. I guess being "Not Farkas" is good enough for people to be enamored with her
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1449124217031692289

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #44
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I'm pretty set on voting for Gondek for mayor, even though nothing in her campaign really inspires me. I'm voting for her more to just block Farkas.

Who should I vote for in Ward 8? There's the old news guy with the severe fake tan, but who else?
I'd recommend voting for Courtney Walcott. Common Sense Calgary (I know, but they have the only ward by ward polling) have him in second, five points behind Bobrovitz, trailing 23-18%. You can have a look at his donor list here to get a feel for who supports him. Plenty of recognizable names to anyone who follows Calgary politics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hknssibht...%2014.pdf?dl=0
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #45
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
I don't understand the love-in for Gondek. More or less every time I heard her speak in debates or interviews (albeit I missed the last one) she sounds like someone who knows some of the things she needs to say but there is absolutely no substance or any sense of detail.

That top 5 leadership debate was comical. Every single time I was asking myself "what is she even talking about?"

I don't get what everyone is so impressed with. I guess being "Not Farkas" is good enough for people to be enamored with her
I’ll take a shot: she is educated and has demonstrated in her 3+ years in council that she understands the issues facing the city (ie property tax distribution) and what it needs moving forward (ie downtown redevelopment). She may not be as eloquent as someone like Nenshi, but I’ve felt she articulates her points well during council debates and isn’t going to back down from a fight worth fighting (ie racism). I also think she’s generally respected amongst her Council colleagues.

I won’t get into platforms because you can judge those for yourself.

I’ve also only watched one of the mayoral debates, so I can’t really comment on those. However, I would say that sometimes it’s easy to hear what you’re expecting to hear.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 06:09 PM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I'm pretty set on voting for Gondek for mayor, even though nothing in her campaign really inspires me. I'm voting for her more to just block Farkas.

Who should I vote for in Ward 8? There's the old news guy with the severe fake tan, but who else?
The only flyers I got were for Courtney Walcott who's resume appears to be... basketball coach?
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #47
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think he's a teacher, no? Pretty sure he teaches at Western.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #48
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I got a bunch of robocalls today from Evan Wooley endorsing Walcott. I already voted for Auffrey anyway.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #49
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Coun. Sean Chu disciplined for physical contact with 16-year-old girl
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rges-1.6212651
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It'll be a cold day in hell before I vote for a Lake Bonavistian Southerner.
You know, you say that, but North Calgary has both Chu and Magliocca. North Calgary gonna North Calgary, I guess?

Maybe it’s because they’re closer to Edmonton?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those two clowns are on their way out!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

A city council without Chu, Farkas and Magliocca. It will be a beautiful thing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #53
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
In all seriousness, we should celebrate Fuzz for creating this new and completely necessary thread. Some might say it's purpose is simply to placate the like four strugglers who could put the effort into complaining there wasn't a thread for the election but couldn't take literally the exact same amount of effort and use it to create the thread they wanted. I wouldn't say that. But someone might.

Fuzz: Hand-holder of the simpletons, thread creator for the people
I’m definitely one of the strugglers, and I have a weird smug sense of satisfaction knowing my whining worked actually.

Nice work Fuzz. I feel like I get an assist on the play though.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #54
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's the deal with Pootmans in ward 6? I moved into the ward right before he lost to Davison. How was he as a councillor? Anyone have any strong feelings for one of the other candidates?
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #55
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pootmans didn't lose to Davison, he voluntarily stepped down and didn't seek re-election. Now, after one term on the sidelines, he decided to run again.

FWIW, I thought he was a decent centrist on council. Informed on the issues, educated, and works well with others, but gives off a "boring accountant" style vibe. He's unlikely to spark strong emotions either positively or negatively from anyone. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a council member.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:43 PM   #56
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I got a bunch of robocalls today from Evan Wooley endorsing Walcott. I already voted for Auffrey anyway.
I actually ran into Walcott on my way home from work and wished him luck. I liked both Walcott and Auffrey but went with Walcott due to polling.
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #57
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post

I like that she seems to share my values and vision for the city. Plus, on her socials she's out in the city taking part in events and enjoying what YYC has to offer. I respect and admire that. Plus she seems to have a great personality and is someone I want representing me.

Her platform is also quote strong IMO. I'm wavering back and forth between Gondek and Damery (who I also think has a strong platform that matches my values). I will probably make my mind up on Monday. I enjoy voting for someone rather than against someone.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #58
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

News that does not relate to Chu, Gondek announcing some of her staff:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1451193360866103299
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, Stephen Carter is a smart guy.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #60
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Pootmans didn't lose to Davison, he voluntarily stepped down and didn't seek re-election. Now, after one term on the sidelines, he decided to run again.

FWIW, I thought he was a decent centrist on council. Informed on the issues, educated, and works well with others, but gives off a "boring accountant" style vibe. He's unlikely to spark strong emotions either positively or negatively from anyone. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a council member.
He was the only one who door knocked at my place. I would agree with this description.

I did vote for him though as I thought he would do a good job and some of my neighbors liked him from before.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote