Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #81
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Had these for about a month. Multiple issues with the controller, app is buggy, absolutely no customer support. Would not recommend.

Last edited by The Fisher Account; 11-28-2022 at 02:23 PM.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #82
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Just an FYI on Watts.

Had these for about a month. Multiple issues with the controller, app is buggy, absolutely no customer support. Would not recommend.
Do you know what the brand your controller is? There might be a way to change your software to WLED which is basic software that is open source.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #83
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Do you know what the brand your controller is? There might be a way to change your software to WLED which is basic software that is open source.
This sounds nerdy and possibly handy in the event that support ends and/or a company folds.

I have Gemstones, and I don't think that they're going anywhere, but I have wondered about what would happen in 5-10 years when/if they stop supporting stuff but the lights still work fine.

Do you happen to know what type of controller Gemstones uses and if it is compatible with WLED?
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #84
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone ever have success trouble shooting strings of those mini LED lithgs.

I have three tstrings of lights that i am sure worked last year when i took them down. Plugged them in this year and the lights do not work; however, electricty runs thru the cord from one end to the other as i plugged one set into an outlet (no lights came on), and i plugged a random device in the other end of the string and the device worked.

i have swapped out the fuses in the string and then looked at all bulbs to ensure they were seated securely and i pulled out many bulbs to ensure the contacts were good.
Also inspected the bulbs at the start and end of the string, including those bulbs with three wires going into the socket.

i'd say the sockets are too small to get a multi-meter in as i think the probes would be toughing each other.

seems so odd that all three strings would do the exact smae thing
Old 11-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #85
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

I have three tstrings of lights that i am sure worked last year when i took them down. Plugged them in this year and the lights do not work; however, electricty runs thru the cord from one end to the other as i plugged one set into an outlet (no lights came on), and i plugged a random device in the other end of the string and the device worked.

i have swapped out the fuses in the string and then looked at all bulbs to ensure they were seated securely and i pulled out many bulbs to ensure the contacts were good.
Also inspected the bulbs at the start and end of the string, including those bulbs with three wires going into the socket.

i'd say the sockets are too small to get a multi-meter in as i think the probes would be toughing each other.

Sure, ya, just take them here:

https://www.barewirerecycling.ca/

Then take that cash to fund buying some that aren't the cheapest available.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #86
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Troubleshooting mini lights is a time consuming exercise. It just isn't worth it.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 01:39 PM   #87
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sure, ya, just take them here:

https://www.barewirerecycling.ca/

Then take that cash to fund buying some that aren't the cheapest available.
thanks - this is good as i hated the thought of just tossing them in my black bin
Old 11-28-2022, 02:36 PM   #88
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
thanks - this is good as i hated the thought of just tossing them in my black bin
I've had good experiences taking them all sorts of wire and metal, and get more back than I expect. I hate throwing stuff out. Smells a lot better than a bottle depot, too!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:43 PM   #89
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone with Gemstone lights that can maybe answer a question for me......

We have 2 devices controlling the lights, mine and my wifes phone. She can't see the zones I've made, or any of my custom patterns, she can only see the timer. This leads me to believe that that information is stored locally on the phone, not on the controller (and the timer is on the controller, because it obviously operates independently)

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, so anyone else with them have the same behaviour?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2023, 06:49 PM   #90
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that’s how ours are, or at least that’s how we do things.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:26 PM   #91
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Anyone with Gemstone lights that can maybe answer a question for me......

We have 2 devices controlling the lights, mine and my wifes phone. She can't see the zones I've made, or any of my custom patterns, she can only see the timer. This leads me to believe that that information is stored locally on the phone, not on the controller (and the timer is on the controller, because it obviously operates independently)

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, so anyone else with them have the same behaviour?

Thanks
You are correct. Apparently they are working on iCloud sync/backup of patterns, but currently everything is local except for the timers.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:51 AM   #92
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would anyone be interested in a DIY kit like gemstones? It would be open sourced using WLED or can go a step further with Xlights/FPP (christmas light to music software).

Lights would have 2" spacing instead of the 4" that gemstone offers. I am guessing costs would come in around $1000.00 for the kit (hopefully lower based on 120' of trim and lights). Track colour will be white but I am guessing you could paint to match your soffit colours as needed. I can provide support but this would definitly be a DIY Hobbyist adventure.

Last edited by fundmark19; 08-09-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christmas lights in the Middle of August? Could this come back to haunt us??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:14 PM   #94
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bit of a follow-up after close to a year with Watts.

The first 6 months were not good. Software issues, app challenges and then they pushed out an update that destroyed pretty much every client's set up.

Had them send out a guy to fix things. They then updated the app, and I've had no issues since.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:00 PM   #95
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

How difficult would a DIY installation be? I could probably do the basics and prep but the actual installation I would have to get help as the roof is quite high
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #96
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting out my snow shovel.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #97
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
How difficult would a DIY installation be? I could probably do the basics and prep but the actual installation I would have to get help as the roof is quite high
Depends on your house really and comfort on ladders. Scissor lift rental would be the safe way to do it. The light tracks themselves just screw in a back plate and click on the lights/wires.

Cable mangement would depend on how you want things to look. It would need access to an outlet somewehre with ethernet or wifi signal.
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 03:06 PM   #98
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I am 6 months behind on this years light show already.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:54 PM   #99
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Has this place turned into Costco?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #100
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
This sounds nerdy and possibly handy in the event that support ends and/or a company folds.

I have Gemstones, and I don't think that they're going anywhere, but I have wondered about what would happen in 5-10 years when/if they stop supporting stuff but the lights still work fine.

Do you happen to know what type of controller Gemstones uses and if it is compatible with WLED?
Controller isn’t really what you need to worry about as that part is cheap. You can run 800 lights off a 4 dollar part. It’s that their lights are proprietary so it would depend what the chipset they are using and if you can incorporate them into a different environment.

I would try and buy some extra led lights in the case that one goes out and you need to change it a company isn’t around anymore. I saw on Kijiji one of the lighting companies is for sale. I doubt it’s gemstone but you never know what the future holds.

Last edited by fundmark19; 08-09-2023 at 07:38 PM.