Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #41
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most annoying non-feature that angers me unreasonably to no end... why the hell does Honda and most vehicles not track duration since ignition? Acuras have been doing it for at least a decade and I always loved pulling it up on the display and knowing how long the vehicle has been on since ignition to see how long it takes me to drive certain stretches of road.

It angers me that Honda doesn't have this feature and they're associated with Acura (or I am an idiot and I can't find it and why the hell has Honda made the feature buried?)

Why the hell do other vehicles track idiotic crap like average speed on the trip, but not time for the trip?

Come on! Time since ignition should be a default on all vehicles!
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #42
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
With the first gen MINI Cooper S, the power doesn’t really get going until you get over 3K rpm due to the supercharger needing to do its thing.
Oh man, wish you hadn't chimed in with that as I just spent $350 on this thing, but I guess you're right and that makes sense. I think slow throttle response is a factor, though. It's not just a lack of power; it's a fraction of a second delay as the RPMs build that feels like the delay illustrated in the video. I'll 100% do my best to give feedback on this thing that is objective. The good thing is you can do a launch with it off, then turn it on so it's pretty tough to ignore if there is no difference.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #43
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cancel the throttle box and change the blower pulley.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #44
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Cancel the stupid throttle box and change the blower pulley.
That's been done already. JCW exhaust, too. It's just this delay that's getting to me now. Once I have this sorted out, I'm sure I'll be happy and won't need to do anything else
Old 06-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #45
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you flash tune it after changing the pulley and exhaust?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #46
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I didn't change it; bought it that way. It's the JCW pulley and JCW exhaust, so my guess is it was dealer installed. I can't remember why I'm so convinced of that, but I'm 100% sure the car was bought as a JCW. Maybe it says that on the title? I can't really remember. When I researched it when I bought it a couple years ago, I was going to put the new pulley on and realized it already had it along with the exhaust. The previous owner didn't seem like the modding type as nothing else was done to the car including having that super long weird antenna which is kind of the $10 no-brainer mod most people do on this generation to get it down to a reasonable-looking stubby. If you didn't do that, you didn't do anything else. So if the dealer sold it as a JCW with the exhaust and pulley, I'm hoping it has the tune to match if it is needed.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #47
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing General Automotive Thread

Look on the cylinder head, towards the passenger side. A full JCW will have a sticker with a serial number in place of one that just says MINI. And yes, JCW’s have their own specific tune.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Imma check that out. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #49
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Toyota Camrys... there's this "feature" where if the tire spins a little bit, it kills power (throttle disabled or something) to the vehicle for almost a full second. This is annoying as hell in general, but I was also trained to do evasive maneuvers when driving, not hope the car comes to an uneventful stop in the middle of the road or whatever. It also triggers if I accelerate a little stronger from a stop.

Any ideas on what specific thing I can research which can be done to reduce this to something less than half a second to quarter of a second, like a normal vehicle (aside from turning off the traction control)? I've done a ton of research and read a ton on different Toyota forums and seen nothing aside from people just slapping mods to their Camry for more power and noticing it less. I don't know what I should be looking for solution wise.

Sliver's throttle thing looks neat, but I wonder if there's something more "default" or less expensive than that that can be done? I'm pretty sure the throttle kill "safety function" thing is more of a software thing.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #50
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

DashCams. Recently purchased and installed Thinkware f200.

I’ve toyed with the app some, but’s it’s buggy. Anyone else gotta Thinkware with wifi? How do you find it ?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #51
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Genesis is the 2020 champion at 89 problems per 100, the only brand to reach double digits- Lexus sits in 2nd place with 100 problems per 100.
The universe keeps telling me I need to by a G70
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
JD Power’s 2020 Dependability rankings are out - it looks at problems per 100 vehicles over a three-year period.

Genesis is the 2020 champion at 89 problems per 100, the only brand to reach double digits- Lexus sits in 2nd place with 100 problems per 100.

All the way down at the bottom, there are two manufacturers for whom you are GUARANTEED to be back at the dealership for warrantied work at least twice during a three year span - Land Rover (220) and Chrysler (214).

Now, for all their faults, at least Land Rovers are fantastically complex, capable vehicles with oodles of power and styling that, if it’s for you, really pops.

Chryslers have none of these things, and appear to have been built entirely by people who all had better things to do.

In seven years in the industry, all of the most apocalyptic financial situations I’ve encountered involve Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.

So my question is this: who is buying Chrysler vehicles, and why?
I have a 2011 Durango Citadel and never have had any problems.

I believe I am an outlier.

Genesis eh?

I rememebr driving my buddy's Pony in High School and thinking it was a POS.

Hyundai really is a success story. I have owned two and both had been more than i expected. In fact I am looking at buying a third one right now to replace the Durango.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
JD Power’s 2020 Dependability rankings are out - it looks at problems per 100 vehicles over a three-year period.

All the way down at the bottom, there are two manufacturers for whom you are GUARANTEED to be back at the dealership for warrantied work at least twice during a three year span - Land Rover (220) and Chrysler (214).

Now, for all their faults, at least Land Rovers are fantastically complex, capable vehicles with oodles of power and styling that, if it’s for you, really pops.

Chryslers have none of these things, and appear to have been built entirely by people who all had better things to do.

In seven years in the industry, all of the most apocalyptic financial situations I’ve encountered involve Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.

VW in 6th spot? I remember the days when they were in Chrysler/Jeep territory. Surprising that GM and Ford are above all the Japanese outside of Toyota but then again Japanese reliability isn't what it used to be.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #54
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
On Toyota Camrys... there's this "feature" where if the tire spins a little bit, it kills power (throttle disabled or something) to the vehicle for almost a full second. This is annoying as hell in general, but I was also trained to do evasive maneuvers when driving, not hope the car comes to an uneventful stop in the middle of the road or whatever. It also triggers if I accelerate a little stronger from a stop.

Any ideas on what specific thing I can research which can be done to reduce this to something less than half a second to quarter of a second, like a normal vehicle (aside from turning off the traction control)? I've done a ton of research and read a ton on different Toyota forums and seen nothing aside from people just slapping mods to their Camry for more power and noticing it less. I don't know what I should be looking for solution wise.

Sliver's throttle thing looks neat, but I wonder if there's something more "default" or less expensive than that that can be done? I'm pretty sure the throttle kill "safety function" thing is more of a software thing.
What psycho modifies a Camry?

(I’ve got no suggestions for your problem except ‘turn off the traction control’, sorry!)
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #55
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

The thing that I'm curious about is what it looks like by model rather than by manufacturer. It appears that there are a couple of Lexus / Toyota models that are really good and then there must be some models to avoid that drag the average down.

I'm wondering if it's the hybrids.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #56
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Dodge has 96 month financing, and Chrysler credit allows for 175% loan to value ratio. They’ve created their own inescapable cycle with their truck buyers. They’ve also historically flooded the market with their trucks drastically hurting their re sale value. They’ve really built brand loyalty by creating finance scenarios which their customers cant get out of by purchasing a GMC or Ford. So they convince theirs owners to “dig up” by simply financing another truck three years later “for a little more money, but full warranty”. It’s really sad, they draw customers back because to move out of a Ram to a GM or Ford generally means a huge payment jump (max 84 months) or they are unable to finance with anyone else do to their massive inequity their high for most other brand credit is capped at 125% loan to value.

On the SUV side, it’s the same with the Dodge Journey. New SUV for $200/ month, over 8 years. So many uneducated car buyers fall into this trap, and they to get caught in the same cycle as the truck buyers.

Dodge buyers tend to worry all about payment vs value, cost of ownership and future value.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #57
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What's the general consensus on where and how to sell a low value used car these days? Just throw it up on Autotrader and Kijiji and ignore the low ballers?
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #58
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
What's the general consensus on where and how to sell a low value used car these days? Just throw it up on Autotrader and Kijiji and ignore the low ballers?
I guess it depends on your definition of low value, but I've had a range of cars to sell and pretty much sold them all on Kijiji (including one last week that sold in less than a day). I always list them on Autotrader as well, but its almost always Kijiji that brings in the buyer.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #59
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have a 2011 Durango Citadel and never have had any problems.

I believe I am an outlier.

Genesis eh?

I rememebr driving my buddy's Pony in High School and thinking it was a POS.

Hyundai really is a success story. I have owned two and both had been more than i expected. In fact I am looking at buying a third one right now to replace the Durango.
Hyundai has really been Germanified over the last 15 years.

The Chief designer at Hyundai for the last five years was a guy named Luc Donckerwolke, and he oversaw the design of the Lamborghini Murciélago (among others).

Peter Schreyer, who designed the original Audi TT, the New Beetle when it was relaunched, brought the Kia Stinger to life, as well as the Soul and original Genesis sedan.

The current president of Hyundai is Albert Biermann, who ran the M division at BMW for a few decades, including the golden age of the M5. He was hired to create the N performance line of Hyundai, and now runs the whole show.

They’re worth a long look, for sure.

(Disclaimer: I work for Hyundai)
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #60
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of low value, but I've had a range of cars to sell and pretty much sold them all on Kijiji (including one last week that sold in less than a day). I always list them on Autotrader as well, but its almost always Kijiji that brings in the buyer.
Less than $5,000 is my definition - car runs great and hasn't given any problems but has hail damage and is hardly ever driven. No point keeping a second car around to just pay insurance on and never drive so might as well try to monetize it.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote