Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #21
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A long time ago my dad worked at a dealership. He always said never buy the first run of a new model.

I’m also not keen on the iPad on the dash look of many new models. I’m also not in a complete rush to buy, so just seeing what kind of deal can be had.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #22
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ford made a huge mess of the recent Explorer and Aviator rollouts. The first-year thing may be overblown, but that company seems to be having its fair share of production issues lately.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 01:48 AM   #23
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a couple friends who got in on the x-plan, Pricing was well worth taking advantage of. If you can add the costco discount and veteran discount on there it's pretty hard to beat.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:42 AM   #24
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I think the avoid first model year thing is overblown, our last two vehicles have been first year and neither has had anything wrong.
Model year is fine, more just be aware if it's the first year of an engine. That I'd definitely avoid
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Ford made a huge mess of the recent Explorer and Aviator rollouts. The first-year thing may be overblown, but that company seems to be having its fair share of production issues lately.
I don't think the first year model issues are overblown. Some manufacturers can pull it off but (Toyota or Nissan for example rolling out a new model that's largely based on decades old drivetrains and tech) it's pretty rare that they don't ship with equipment that isn't revised or replaced in later years. I know the MK7 GTI had bad turbochargers in their first year and the MK7 Golf R first year shipped with bad Haldex units. The first year of the Subaru Ascent was a massive disaster for Subaru and anyone that purchased one as the Motor Trend long term Ascent wasn't a lemon as most of them had a lot of these issues as this is a prime reason you may want to wait a year or two on a new model;

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/suba...-term-verdict/

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-09-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Model year is fine, more just be aware if it's the first year of an engine. That I'd definitely avoid
And with Ford, transmission too...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
And with Ford, transmission too...
Absolutely as I was a victim of the early China made MT82 transmission.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #28
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I have a couple friends who got in on the x-plan, Pricing was well worth taking advantage of. If you can add the costco discount and veteran discount on there it's pretty hard to beat.
Ford and Costco cut their relationship around two years ago if my message is correct. Costco now has a relationship with GM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #29
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just to follow up on the Ford X plan pricing...it has lead to some funny results. Somehow, three dealer’s formula of what the X plan price should be us spitting out completely different results on the same truck, and one dealer was waaaaay off. At this point I’m just considering to wait until the fall and see what happens. I do think Ford’s incentives are pretty decent right now, but I can’t imagine they will get worse.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #30
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Just to follow up on the Ford X plan pricing...it has lead to some funny results. Somehow, three dealer’s formula of what the X plan price should be us spitting out completely different results on the same truck, and one dealer was waaaaay off. At this point I’m just considering to wait until the fall and see what happens. I do think Ford’s incentives are pretty decent right now, but I can’t imagine they will get worse.
Yeah, I even printed off my x-plan code... Still got the 4 square sheet pricing with different prices from different dealers too. Nothing sketchier than the car business
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 04:05 AM   #31
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Ford and Costco cut their relationship around two years ago if my message is correct. Costco now has a relationship with GM.
Shows how often I buy new cars. lol, I look at lot but always end up in the used market.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:10 AM   #32
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Yeah, I even printed off my x-plan code... Still got the 4 square sheet pricing with different prices from different dealers too. Nothing sketchier than the car business
That sheet makes me want to march right out the door. I don't trust anything they say anymore when it comes to purchase price etc. I helped someone buy a new car a couple years back and it was so confusing. They get you coming and going.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #33
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I find the throttle response in my Cooper S to be a bit lazy and it's been getting to me. Googling around for a solution, I found the Sprint Booster. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for - customizable throttle response tunes you can hit on the fly. You cannot find a bad review about this thing. People rave about it. I ordered one last night and am looking forward to installing it. Anyone used one of these?

Here's a video:
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never used them but I have seen plenty of people over the years use them on forums. They do seem to work.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #35
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

JD Power’s 2020 Dependability rankings are out - it looks at problems per 100 vehicles over a three-year period.

Genesis is the 2020 champion at 89 problems per 100, the only brand to reach double digits- Lexus sits in 2nd place with 100 problems per 100.

All the way down at the bottom, there are two manufacturers for whom you are GUARANTEED to be back at the dealership for warrantied work at least twice during a three year span - Land Rover (220) and Chrysler (214).

Now, for all their faults, at least Land Rovers are fantastically complex, capable vehicles with oodles of power and styling that, if it’s for you, really pops.

Chryslers have none of these things, and appear to have been built entirely by people who all had better things to do.

In seven years in the industry, all of the most apocalyptic financial situations I’ve encountered involve Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.

So my question is this: who is buying Chrysler vehicles, and why?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #36
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
JD Power’s 2020 Dependability rankings are out - it looks at problems per 100 vehicles over a three-year period.

Genesis is the 2020 champion at 89 problems per 100, the only brand to reach double digits- Lexus sits in 2nd place with 100 problems per 100.

All the way down at the bottom, there are two manufacturers for whom you are GUARANTEED to be back at the dealership for warrantied work at least twice during a three year span - Land Rover (220) and Chrysler (214).

Now, for all their faults, at least Land Rovers are fantastically complex, capable vehicles with oodles of power and styling that, if it’s for you, really pops.

Chryslers have none of these things, and appear to have been built entirely by people who all had better things to do.

In seven years in the industry, all of the most apocalyptic financial situations I’ve encountered involve Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.

I bought a Grand Caravan because it’s the perfect vehicle for my business. I wouldn’t get one without the warranty because the transmission is doomed to fail (which it did) eventually but it’s suited my needs well.

They make some fun vehicles and the interiors have really improved. Too bad they haven’t figured out reliability yet.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #37
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The dependability score isn't just a measure of how often you're back at the dealership for warranty work though. It's reported problems that basically cover everything from the oil pan falling off to not liking how your phone pairs with the car or feeling like there is too much road noise.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #38
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I find the throttle response in my Cooper S to be a bit lazy and it's been getting to me. Googling around for a solution, I found the Sprint Booster. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for - customizable throttle response tunes you can hit on the fly. You cannot find a bad review about this thing. People rave about it. I ordered one last night and am looking forward to installing it. Anyone used one of these?

Here's a video:

With the first gen MINI Cooper S, the power doesn’t really get going until you get over 3K rpm due to the supercharger needing to do its thing.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #39
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I bought a Grand Caravan because it’s the perfect vehicle for my business. I wouldn’t get one without the warranty because the transmission is doomed to fail (which it did) eventually but it’s suited my needs well.

They make some fun vehicles and the interiors have really improved. Too bad they haven’t figured out reliability yet.
This is just me, but a major manufacturer shipping a vehicle (never mind a best seller like the Caravan) with a transmission “doomed to fail” this far into the 21st century is completely unacceptable.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is just me, but a major manufacturer shipping a vehicle (never mind a best seller like the Caravan) with a transmission “doomed to fail” this far into the 21st century is completely unacceptable.
It happens a lot more than you would think. Ford went an entire generations of the Focus with their Powershift DCT transmission that never worked properly from day one (see the class action lawsuit). Also there is a class action lawsuit on Hyundai for faulty DCT transmissions. Honda has always had issues making dependable automatic transmissions. Any vehicle you buy today with a CVT will likely suffer transmission failure around 150k km's or less as that's why automakers like Nissan and Subaru had to offer 10 year warranty extensions on their CVT's.