Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Might the slowness be due to the website being overwhelmed by everyone applying now?

I applied for unemployment in Texas; the website would sometimes be quick and other times just completely non-responsive. I found, though, that if I was logging-in or applying at unusual hours the process went a bit quicker.

Likely but the other problem is the way its set up, one question per page, 6 pages of individual declarations. about 20 or more pages of pass through.

The quickest way to fix the problem is to streamline it as much as possible.

I'm sympathetic as hell that nearly a million people are trying to get onto the site, but frankly this is going to be a nightmare, I'm glad I applied early because I'm worried now about the possible or probable backlog to get benefits rolling.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #22
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What are you taking for school? This is one of things I am interested in if the whole engineering thing dries up here.
I started doing a bunch of training online about two years ago on various things like Project Management, Lean, Six Sigma and Python via LinkedIn Learning/Lynda, Udemy and other free institutions. At the beginning of the year I found a link to a funded program called EdgeUp (https://edgeupyyc.com/) and I was accepted to join the Data Analytics group at SAIT. It has been a great opportunity and hopefully it leads to a promising new careers. I've always enjoyed using data and gaining insight from it and actually learning to utilize the tools effectively will help me out a lot.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #23
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So I thought I would kind of do quick diary entries, maybe we can use this to spring board discussions.

So in terms of today

Finished setting up my resume and searches on indeed.ca, Linkedin, Career builder, Zip Recruiter and Monster.

On Friday I applied for 7 roles and saved 9 to evaluate today. Today I applied for 9 roles in total.

I heard back from one just in terms please do this personality profile and math test.

Most unusual application - Besides doing the usual and doing a survey, they asked for a video submission, which was three reasons why you think this is a fit.

Tomorrow I'll continue the search. Today I focused on Sales Manager/Account Manager/Client Account Manager as the primaries to search. Tomorrow I'll add on to my search. Any suggested tags will be welcome.

time spent thus far today 4 hours.

This afternoon, I'm going to submit my UI claim though I don't have a record of employment and do some personal budgeting.

That's it that's all.
Take a look for Hilti AM jobs, u have a vast background and they are great company to work for early on into my career here and have some stability through all this. A quick google search of ‘Hilti Calgary Jobs’ brings up lots of opportunities from what I can see and some very recent postings .

Good luck to all those displaced by this, let’s get through this together my friends. This community has taught me how much good exists in the everyday down to earth people and there are so so so many here. Big hugs all!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figure this is as good a place as any to post job openings.

My company (commodity trading and risk management software) is looking for someone to fill a Senior QA role. If anyone is interested I can forward the posting via DM.

We also have an opening for a Chief Risk Officer as well, just in case someone here can fill that.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is worth mentioning that Superstore is advertising for short term staff to fulfill their demand. Not ideal, but who knows what people are looking for.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #26
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My EI claim went through quickly - but I applied just before all the craziness as I got let go and not "Temporarily laid off"

My wife just got "TLO" this morning. So we will be putting her claim through.

Question - does anybody know of any sites where one can get some "career coaching". My wife has been with the same company for 15 years (different roles) but not very happy over the last couple, but thinks she has no options.
I recommended that she take this time to contemplate a few things - what she like/dislikes about her job, about her company, give some thought as to her skills, what she has done, etc.

Any ideas out there?
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #27
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just as a continuation the online application for EI is painful. Answer one question submit wait 5 minutes. Wash and repeat. Oh and the occasional site crash where you have to go back in wait and then enter a password and pray that it finds your application.
Wonderful, but I guess that's understandable given the situation. My wife is fighting her way through it and has the pleasure of dealing with the process twice. First she has to issue herself an ROE which is proving to be equally as adventuresome. Then she can go through the fun of applying for EI.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Dear Diary (I joke)

I decided to stop for the day, I put in a couple of hours on my search.

So far statistically

After today, I have applied for 20 positions, I applied for 3 today, and saved another 4 that I'm going to evaluate.

I guess I'm impatient, I heard back from one that I wasn't being considered, but it was a major stretch. I had to write an assessment on another one both in terms of problem solving and personality.

I know that I've only been unemployed for 2 business days (Friday and Monday), and its a new normal that companies are scrambling. Hopefully I hear back from some of these opportunities.

I've completed the other things that I need to do, submitted my EI application, though I won't have a ROE until next Thursday. But I should be ok without it with a bit of a struggle for about 2 months or so.

I've cut back on a lot of things on my budget.

So why am I calling it quits today after 2 hours and only 3 applications? Because it just feels tough and almost futile now, I'll get back at it tomorrow after looking at the three or 4 saved positions.

For you that are looking, sorry to be a bummer.

Oka tip to maybe help. In the last few days I've gotten the question, I'm applying on linkedin and on indeed and it puts my resume into their ATS. Is a cover letter really necessary?

My answer might be old school but yes. Its a selling document, it allows you to match your experience to requirements and try and sell yourself. Its also in my mind important to customize your cover letter to the opportunity. I think I'll put in an example. As always any tips or feedback is great.

Example

Quote:
Dear ******** Team;

Please accept this application and my attached CV as an indication of my interest in the Client Success Manager role that you posted on Indeed. I feel that my abilities and experience would make me a strong candidate for this role.
Of interest to your organization:
· I have demonstrated strong communication, demonstration and Account/Client Management skills with a track record of success.
· A strong history of building trusted advisor relationships with a varied client base by building a strong value proposition.
· A history of using strong ROI proposals to assist clients in making changes.
· A strong understanding of SaaS benefits based on my work with ******** and **********.
· I have vast experience in selling and working with account resources and connecting clients with their best resources.
· I have demonstrated a solid foundation of end to end client engagements and I want to bring that skill set to your organization.
· I have strong problem-solving skills and selling skills.
· I have proven skills in terms of developing proposals and written responses.
· I have strong communications and presentation skills.
· I have exceptional people and communication skill set and have shown a strong ability to work with others in a business environment.
I am particularly interested in your posted position as it is a strong match to my experience and skill set.
I'd like to meet with you to discuss adding value to your organization as I've done for my previous employers. Should you wish to contact me before then, I can be reached via cell phone at ********** or by email at **********.
Sincerely,

Old 03-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #29
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey everyone. Hope you're all staying safe and healthy.

If anyone is looking for help finding new employment opportunities, I can recommend a professional recruiter. I've been working with him for 4 years now and he's put several great opportunities in front of me.

I am self employed as a Sales and Business Development Consultant and the clients he's connected me with have been great to work with.

If you want his contact info or more details, just PM me.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #30
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

@ CaptainCrunch

I feel that my abilities and experience would make me a strong candidate for this role.

Change that line from feeling you are, to instead telling them in confidence why you are.

I am interested in securing the position of a Client Success Manager as posted through Indeed on Jan 1,2020 where my abilities and qualifications will be fully applied to our mutual benefit. I will bring to the team an extensive list of skill sets that will enable me to thrive in this challenging yet rewarding opportunity which include but are not limited to:

* highlight point 1
* point 2
* point 3
* point 4

I think Im a good looking guy. I think I'm funny, don't over cook my chicken, and believe my impersonation of Kip from Napoleon Dynamite is spot on.

I know I'm 41 years old. I know tomorrow is Wednesday. And I know I'm the right candidate for your job. Here is why.

Last edited by jmac98; 03-24-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Typo
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sigh rejected by 2 so far, haven't heard anything from the other 20.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:27 AM   #32
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sigh rejected by 2 so far, haven't heard anything from the other 20.
Hang in there, Cap.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #33
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My team is looking for an intermediate web application developer. Full stack is preferred, but we can teach you what you don't know. Mainly use Angular, Typescript, Node for our development.

https://cantire.taleo.net/careersect...C04VFE&lang=en

PM me if you want to know more.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So my diary entry, please guys let me know if you want me to stop.

Time spent today 3 hours

Applications today 6.

Overall applications 27 rejections 2 interviews 0, reach outs 0.

Not great results but I was let go on Thursday and started Friday, so this is 4 days as I'm not doing activities on weekends.

Strategic changes

I'm applying outside of my normal skills sets in terms of looking at terminology like Client engagement managers, client success managers, stretching a bit in terms of higher management roles. Searching based on technologies.

I've come to the realization that this stretch is necessary as I'm laying a foundation to be able to make choices as things go forward.

Outright refusals to apply

Jobs based around pure commissioning or bonuses, my 30 years of experience has value, I am willing to take a haircut to prove myself, but I won't do uncertainty.

Point of annoyance.

Getting tons of call from Worldcom and other financial planner organizations, or part time roles marketing from my home with no safety net. I'm also getting a ton of scam phishing emails now that I've opened up my linkedin, indeed, ziprecruiter stuff.

Side project - I've had lots of reach out from the other people from the company that I was with asking for guidance and help. So I'm doing a little coaching on the side, and also gleaning some ideas of what they're doing.

That's it, that's all.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #35
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey guys,

Figured I'd chime in here with the other CP'ers looking for work. I am a 25 y/o Finance & Accounting Business grad from UBC. I worked the past 2.5 years in the Accounting and Commercial Real Estate Industry but quit my job in September to travel South America for 4 months. Like many of you I have struggled to find any work since I got back in early January. I have kept a spreadsheet and since January 11th, have applied for 39 jobs - 9 rejections, 7 initial interviews, 5 of which the position has now been put on hold due to COVID and 23 which I haven't heard from. I have been extremely selective as to what I apply for and haven't bothered to apply for any jobs I am not qualified for, so basically applying for EL or Associate level positions.

Figured I'd use CP as another resource if anyone knows or their company is looking for a younger, greener level employee with experience in the finance, accounting and real estate industries.

Times are tough but we will eventually bounce back! So for the fellow job searchers, I know how you all feel and how frustrating it is. Keep at it though CP
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emti For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #36
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So my diary entry, please guys let me know if you want me to stop.

Time spent today 3 hours

Applications today 6.

Overall applications 27 rejections 2 interviews 0, reach outs 0.

Not great results but I was let go on Thursday and started Friday, so this is 4 days as I'm not doing activities on weekends.

Strategic changes

I'm applying outside of my normal skills sets in terms of looking at terminology like Client engagement managers, client success managers, stretching a bit in terms of higher management roles. Searching based on technologies.

I've come to the realization that this stretch is necessary as I'm laying a foundation to be able to make choices as things go forward.

Outright refusals to apply

Jobs based around pure commissioning or bonuses, my 30 years of experience has value, I am willing to take a haircut to prove myself, but I won't do uncertainty.

Point of annoyance.

Getting tons of call from Worldcom and other financial planner organizations, or part time roles marketing from my home with no safety net. I'm also getting a ton of scam phishing emails now that I've opened up my linkedin, indeed, ziprecruiter stuff.

Side project - I've had lots of reach out from the other people from the company that I was with asking for guidance and help. So I'm doing a little coaching on the side, and also gleaning some ideas of what they're doing.

That's it, that's all.
Are all those positions you are applying to really matching what you want/are qualified for? Or are you casting a very wide net?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've widened my net.

Right now I'm sticking to matching up to IT Sales/Software Solutions/Cloud and SaaS technologies/Payroll and HCM/also I've put out some feelers in terms of recruiting and recruiting services.

I've started with Business Development, Account Management, Client Success management, Sales Management, Regional and district and team management. I've added things like Sales training, technical sales (IT etc).

The one thing that's changed even from a couple of years ago is that most of these applications go through ATS so if your stretch is too much, the parsing software and value system within the ATS will insta backshelf with you.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a heavier focus around recruiting roles since I have good experience in terms of recruitment as well as IT solutions. That way, hopefully a few more roles in my core will pop up.

I literally have about 50 searches happening at the same time.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Woke up this morning, there's not much new out there,

Haven't heard back from anyone in terms of applications, and I know I have to be patient, that companies aren't likely doing much resume reviews right now.

Just depressing, maybe I'll take the day off.

I hate my life so much right now.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #39
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Woke up this morning, there's not much new out there,

Haven't heard back from anyone in terms of applications, and I know I have to be patient, that companies aren't likely doing much resume reviews right now.

Just depressing, maybe I'll take the day off.

I hate my life so much right now.
Sounds stupid, but I woke up in a bit of a funk myself. It's a beautiful morning out so I did a couple extra laps of my block with my dog. The fresh air and sun sure helped me out this morning.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #40
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Capt, I know it's likely not what you want to hear, and it doesn't help to pay bills, but you need to relax. Look at the market you're trying to apply to right now. Even if there's a posting, it likely posting was posted before all this #### hit the fan. The people in HR departments might not even remember it's out there because they're so loaded with other things. You're going to get less call backs now than normal. Don't take it too hard, it's going to take longer this time and it's nothing to do with you.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: