Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Are you saving enough for retirement?

These days, people are living longer, university tuition and houses cost more than ever and pensions are being eliminated from many work places. There's a great deal of personal responsibility needed for people to plan accordingly for their retirement.

Are you putting enough money away for retirement? Do you have a realistic estimate of your yearly living expenses in retirement? Or are you, like some, planning on never retiring?

It's strongly advised that you start putting money away as early as you can, in order to take advantage of compound interest:http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator...calculator.htm

I've always been a saver and am constantly planning for retirement. I've whipped my woman into shape after years and years of her being in debt (she'll have all of her debt paid off this summer at age 36, after spending all of her money on "good times" in previous years).

It seems most of the co-workers I know (I'm a government lawyer) don't really set much savings aside (nice cars, big houses, going out for lunch most days, while some are still paying off student loans)

I get a DB pension with the government, but I save like it's not going to be there, or if it is, it will be in a severely reduced form from today's current state. I hope to be able to have a good retirement at 55 or 60. I don't want end up like some of the 65+ year old guys in my office working (I have to make sure not to get divorced like they did, fingers crossed).
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

No
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
No
This, but I'm getting there
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

When do most people even start saving for retirement?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Awaiting the "I was financially ready when I was 35 because I was smart with my money, it was easy for me, it's easy for you" comments.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Currently 13.5% of my pay cheque is going into my pension so that will have to suffice for now.

My main focus is removing debt at the moment. I track my assets and liabilities every month and monitor the resulting net worth from it. Sometimes I will go back over a prior month and will breakdown my entire expense spend for the month but I don't usually note any significant frivilous spending.

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eddly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
When do most people even start saving for retirement?
Good question. The only advice I can offer is to start as early as possible. The longer someone waits ie 40s or 50s, the harder it will be, because they won't have the benefit of compound interest to see their savings grow over time. They'll have to save a lot more from their pay checks.

I think a good plan for people would be to try to fill up their TFSA every year ($5,500) from an early age, if possible.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is just a setup for a humblebrag
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This thread is just a setup for a humblebrag
Everyone here makes over 200K.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddly View Post
pfft. Peasants.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I started saving for retirement as soon as I got my first real job after university. Unfortunately I can only say I've been debt free for a grand total of 3 months of my adult life. It was that magical summer between finishing paying back my student loans and buying a house. I still have mortgage debt now, but I'm not in a huge rush to pay it off when my investments are paying more than my mortgage interest.

I've been smart enough to never carry any vehicle or consumer debt. That is what really seems to sink people versus mortgage debt. My current financial plan has me retiring at 65 with the same equivalent income as I have today amortized until I'm 95 factoring in 2% inflation.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well the RRSP Thread proved that the TFSA should be used to help save for retirement.

There are other ways to retire besides save though. I think I am about the only person on this site over 35 who has a mortgage still. So anyone else can buy a second third fourth property, use the rent to pay it off and have income in retirement.

Really it's hard to be in worse shape financially than I am, but even I should be able to stop working by the age of 67.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I started my RRSP's and mutual fund investing around the age of 15 and had a conversation with my Financial Advisor about 6 mths ago.

Advisor: Your RRSP's and investments are really working well, I think if we go hard at it for the next 10 years with what your doing you will be amazed.

Me: Is there a possibility I can retire around 55? (I'm 33)

Advisor: I knew you were gonna ask that, you always ask that so I did some numbers for you. *pulls paper out* Yes you can.

Me: YES!!

Advisor: As you can see you will be broke by 65 but you could retire at 55.

Me: I seriously hate you right now.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #14
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Well the RRSP Thread proved that the TFSA should be used to help save for retirement.

There are other ways to retire besides save though. I think I am about the only person on this site over 35 who has a mortgage still. So anyone else can buy a second third fourth property, use the rent to pay it off and have income in retirement.

Really it's hard to be in worse shape financially than I am, but even I should be able to stop working by the age of 67.
Dude, I'm 31 and I'll be far, far off from paying off my mortgage by the time I'm 35. Don't sweat it. There's others out there like you, too. Some people do pay off their mortgage really early (my brother in law did it when he was 27), and I have no idea how... but comparing yourself to others isn't really fair. Everyone has different paths, just live yours.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #15
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think I am about the only person on this site over 35 who has a mortgage still.
I turn 36 next week. Just bought my first house and will take possession in June. My first mortgage!

The Following User Says Thank You to eddly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it comes down to would I rather spend my money now on travelling and good times, and then work it off as I get older, or do I want to save my money now and spend it when I'm older. I've chosen the former largely because I know I have the health to do that stuff now, and that's not likely to be the case as I get older. I've also seen middle-aged people and the vacations, "good times," etc. that they do, and I'm pretty damn sure they're not having nearly as much as I am.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #17
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I am about the only person on this site over 35 who has a mortgage still.
Not even close.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #18
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddly View Post
And doesn't need to save a dime with the massive inheritance coming down the pipe soon.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #19
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
No
Ditto. My current plan consists of hoping I die before I'm broke.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #20
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are people saving enough for retirement?

What's enough?

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote