Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #201
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
so what? he's the talent.

the way streaming services rip off artists, I don't mind them making some money when they can. Props to him for being upfront about it.

I'll reconsider my support for him making the money if stories come out that he's not paying a good wage to his band and crew.

Like he said, I'd rather the money going into his pocket than the resellers and ticketmaster.
That’s mighty naive to think the money ever went to just to the resellers and ticketmaster.

How do you think they got those tickets in the first place? By offering the artist a nice big cut.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:12 AM   #202
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
His point is that someone is going to pay $5,000 for a ticket in the front row. Why should that money go to Broncos Jacket instead of Bruce Springsteen.

Does anyone actually know that guy?
Old 11-29-2022, 12:59 AM   #203
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metallica just announced Canadian dates for their upcoming tour. Montreal and Edmonton are the only two cities on the list. Edmonton in August 2024, nearly two years out from now! Back to back shows at Commonwealth.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:03 AM   #204
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Man, that is absolutely absurd. Concert planning has gotten out of hand. Let me guess, expensive tickets to start with and then "surge pricing" on top of that to make tickets 300 feet from the stage $350 a pop, or $500-$1000 to get anywhere close?

Got I ****ing hate trying to go to hot concerts now a days, its become so stupid.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-29-2022 at 01:21 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 01:07 AM   #205
jayswin

Exp:

I hate most bands now, it's so dumb. I make good money and I honestly have just resigned myself to going to second and third tier bands at smaller venues with 3-6 month lead times at reasonable prices.

**** the big bands and their Covid induced "Hey, we heard you missed us and going to live shows, we're playing stadiums only at absurd prices.....oh and on top of the crazy prices, those prices will actually get 3X as crazy once surge pricing comes into effect. We love you guys, but we gotta make our money, right? Oh and by the way, the concert is almost a year out".

**** the top selling bands and artists from my vantage point. I'm just pretty much going to medium and lower end shows now at smaller venues with reasonable prices. The shows usually end up being a blast anyways.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-29-2022 at 01:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 01:10 AM   #206
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry for that mini rant, I'm just so done with top tier live music. It's so out of hand. I got lucky with Blink in the pre sale at $150 per ticket in the second tier of the Dome, many weren't so lucky. And they are on the lower end of the top concert tour bands for pricing.

August 2024 is the most insane lead time I've seen so far for a concert though. Like who even knows what's going on in 6 peoples lives in nearly two years if you get tickets, lol.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-29-2022 at 01:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 05:13 AM   #207
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The giant bands charging hundreds of dollars, years in advance of the concert, is adding to the struggle for smaller bands. It's not a new thing, but it's reached a breaking point for the concert system.

The last huge concert I attended was Black Sabbath because they're an all-time favourite and I wasn't alive to see them (with Ozzy as frontman) back in the day. I saw Metallica back before they became caricatures of themselves so I don't need to see them again. That works for me but others who buy tickets to their shows might not have the budget to see other bands. That sucks.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:16 AM   #208
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m with you Jayswin. This Blink concert is where in drawing a line in the sand.

I hope more bands continue to come to The Palace. I saw one of my fav bands at The Palomino a couple years ago and it was awesome.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #209
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In the name of smaller shows, the Big Winter Classic announced it's lineup earlier

https://www.bigwinterclassic.com/
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #210
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I hate most bands now, it's so dumb. I make good money and I honestly have just resigned myself to going to second and third tier bands at smaller venues with 3-6 month lead times at reasonable prices.

**** the big bands and their Covid induced "Hey, we heard you missed us and going to live shows, we're playing stadiums only at absurd prices.....oh and on top of the crazy prices, those prices will actually get 3X as crazy once surge pricing comes into effect. We love you guys, but we gotta make our money, right? Oh and by the way, the concert is almost a year out".

**** the top selling bands and artists from my vantage point. I'm just pretty much going to medium and lower end shows now at smaller venues with reasonable prices. The shows usually end up being a blast anyways.
Would you trade lower prices for no resale, ID and credit card verified at the door?

I think the artists have a point that they might as well make the profit instead of resellers.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #211
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Would you trade lower prices for no resale, ID and credit card verified at the door?

I think the artists have a point that they might as well make the profit instead of resellers.
Absolutely, I would. And that started to become a thing about a decade ago when bands were battling scalpers on behalf of their fans....then decided "wait, instead of taking steps to eliminate scalping, why don't we just become the scalpers and rape our fans ourselves, instead of letting someone else do it?"
Old 11-29-2022, 12:58 PM   #212
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry for that mini rant, I'm just so done with top tier live music. It's so out of hand. I got lucky with Blink in the pre sale at $150 per ticket in the second tier of the Dome, many weren't so lucky. And they are on the lower end of the top concert tour bands for pricing.

August 2024 is the most insane lead time I've seen so far for a concert though. Like who even knows what's going on in 6 peoples lives in nearly two years if you get tickets, lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if the multiyear out scheduling is a profit strategy. It encourages reselling of the initially sold tickets. Sell out a concert at really expensive prices to a lot of people who will end up reselling because they now can't go and places like ticketmaster take another cut. The longer the time between sale and the show, the more chance that a ticket gets resold multiple times.

Boardrooms of suits strategizing how to eke out every nickel.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 03:07 PM   #213
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It also lets Ticketmaster keep your money for two ####ing years and use it to their benefit in the meantime. Meanwhile the ticket holder has a $400 promise that may or may not come true.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 06:44 PM   #214
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man, that is absolutely absurd. Concert planning has gotten out of hand. Let me guess, expensive tickets to start with and then "surge pricing" on top of that to make tickets 300 feet from the stage $350 a pop, or $500-$1000 to get anywhere close?

Got I ****ing hate trying to go to hot concerts now a days, its become so stupid.
Apparently it will be $99-$325 US for a 2 day pass so probably around $400-$500 CDN after fees for the lower bowl and field. Ticketmaster loves their "dynamic pricing" aka self-scalping though.

They won't be selling single show tickets until January 20th.

Last edited by Inferno; 11-30-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #215
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

For lower bowl, Metallica tickets were $500 for a two day pass. I got 4th row, Section W. With in-the-round that should be just as close as being in the middle. In the middle that close Ticketmaster did their platinum ticket garbage and were charging $800.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #216
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMilwaukee View Post
I saw one of my fav bands at The Palomino a couple years ago and it was awesome.
This is the way.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #217
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It also lets Ticketmaster keep your money for two ####ing years and use it to their benefit in the meantime. Meanwhile the ticket holder has a $400 promise that may or may not come true.
Yep. As with others I just can't get behind what's going on with these big artist concerts. As much as I think it would be cool to see back to back sets of Metallica, I feel Ticketmaster and the artists are taking advantage of music fans with concert arrangements such as this. I'll stick with the smaller venue shows and support the bands that are touring for a living rather than the fat cats padding their retirement funds.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #218
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a 2 year tour and the Edmonton show is near the backend...that is why they are on sale so early. Commonwealth is massive, there will be people selling tickets at face closer to as plans change ect.

A lot of people working on these massive tours are trying to make a living...it's a huge operation it's not just the four guys in the band....the stage setup they have planned for this tour is something else.

Last edited by dino7c; 12-02-2022 at 10:03 AM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:29 AM   #219
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
the stage setup they have planned for this tour is something else.
The pit is supposed to fit 800-1000 people. Hopefully that means the stage takes up most of the width of the playing field and people in the stands get a closer view.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #220
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy and I just got tickets in the upper deck for both shows, $202 total. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Tags
calgary , concerts , western canada