Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #4122
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
^^ Isn’t that a 1300 sq.ft suite?
Yeah, the only rooms available from Marriott for next weekend are some of the biggest suites at those hotels. I have no idea what is going on. Fairmont has no rooms available (luckily I was able to get a room at the Waterfront for about $500 per night a while ago.) Shangri-la has nothing available either.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #4123
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've been going through the same exercise for Christmas and it is brutal. I finally decided to just cash in some Bonvoy points on the new Marriott hotel in Mazatlan. Everything seemed ridiculously priced. We are also going to Vancouver next weekend and I don't know if there some big event happening but the availability is really weak and the prices are sky high. Marriott Pinnacle Downtown is $3,500 per night while the JW is $5,500.
Elton John I think.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #4124
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flew in business on the Dreamliner for the first time to Europe last weekend. Fantastic experience. Would only have been better if we werent delayed an hour due to maintenance but just a minor gripe on timing. Will definitely do it again.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #4125
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Elton John I think.
That is why we are going out there but I find it hard to believe that the concert would lead to such a high non-vacancy rate. Maybe I'm underestimating how many people are traveling into the city for the show.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #4126
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
As covered, it's a NIMBY rule, not a technical one.

There have been a few powerful senators who have gotten exemptions added to these rules (DCA in Washington is similar) for their home town airlines, but realistically Westjet/Calgary isn't likely to have the political heft in the US to get that done.

And while the perimeter doesn't apply on Saturdays I can't see them adding a 1/week flight either.
That's really interesting. I did not know that. It's too bad WestJet doesn't fly into Newark anymore. I remember taking the Calgary-Newark flight once upon a time (shortly after it was launched maybe 8 or 9 years ago and thanks to Chris Myden, it was something like $260 round trip).

Air Canada, of course, still has the Newark-Calgary nonstop but I was hoping to get a little competition in there to drive some airfares down.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #4127
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
That's really interesting. I did not know that. It's too bad WestJet doesn't fly into Newark anymore. I remember taking the Calgary-Newark flight once upon a time (shortly after it was launched maybe 8 or 9 years ago and thanks to Chris Myden, it was something like $260 round trip).

Air Canada, of course, still has the Newark-Calgary nonstop but I was hoping to get a little competition in there to drive some airfares down.
WS does fly to JFK
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #4128
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
WS does fly to JFK
Good to know, I never consider JFK haha. I mean, from where I am, it's faster to go to Philly.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #4129
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
That is why we are going out there but I find it hard to believe that the concert would lead to such a high non-vacancy rate. Maybe I'm underestimating how many people are traveling into the city for the show.
Vancouver is pretty stupid this weekend for hotel rates as well...I'm going for a concert, and it's like $200 a night at a Sandman.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #4130
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People in the Facebook Group seemed to find this info useful, so I'll post it here:

List of nonstop (aka 'direct') flights available from Calgary (YYC) to places with a beach, sorted by length of flight, and including the days of the week that they are available

spreadsheet: https://tinyurl.com/c64cnnr3

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #4131
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
People in the Facebook Group seemed to find this info useful, so I'll post it here:

List of nonstop (aka 'direct') flights available from Calgary (YYC) to places with a beach, sorted by length of flight, and including the days of the week that they are available

spreadsheet: https://tinyurl.com/c64cnnr3

-
They forgot BC, Halifax, and St John's.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #4132
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So has the passport situation improved at all? Me and the wife decided to surprise the kids with a trip and need to get my daughters passport renewed. We aren't traveling till after christmas, will they let me walk up @ harry hayes on this Wednesday and try to renew? Or am I better stopping in Red Deer on my way home to do the renewal?
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #4133
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still really slow, I’d steer clear of harry Hayes.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #4134
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Still really slow, I’d steer clear of harry Hayes.
Thanks for the heads up. I will detour into Red Deer instead.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #4135
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have experience with how long WJ takes to deliver delayed luggage?

They forgot 1/2 of our plane's luggage in Hawaii (came on today's flight luckily - per airtags) but given the size of the delayed luggage pile in the customs hall....wondering how long of a wait we're in for.

Big regrets putting damp kids swim trunks in the luggage tho
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #4136
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We were 3 weeks Halifax to yyc on WJ to get bags back in Aug. Bags were transferred to Toronto for some reason. We were told it's dependant on where you're flying from and what their baggage management is. Best of luck.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:44 PM   #4137
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for some advice - I am looking at a bit of a road trip through Christmas, and I am not really sure if the weather is going to cause some hiccups, so I wonder if anybody has had any experience when dealing with non-refundable hotel reservations.

My credit card has some trip cancellation / interruption insurance, which is in legalese, so I am not really sure if what it is means is that I pass on this extra fee, and if it turns out that I can't get to a particular hotel I booked on that date, that I am not out-of-luck.

Also not booking directly with the hotels, but as planning to go through hotels.com, if that makes any difference.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:50 PM   #4138
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking for some advice - I am looking at a bit of a road trip through Christmas, and I am not really sure if the weather is going to cause some hiccups, so I wonder if anybody has had any experience when dealing with non-refundable hotel reservations.

My credit card has some trip cancellation / interruption insurance, which is in legalese, so I am not really sure if what it is means is that I pass on this extra fee, and if it turns out that I can't get to a particular hotel I booked on that date, that I am not out-of-luck.

Also not booking directly with the hotels, but as planning to go through hotels.com, if that makes any difference.
I had a really bad experience with Hotels.com in Costa Rica. The owner and I sorted it out, but with no help from Hotels.com, they left him in the wind. I haven't booked with them since.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 08:58 PM   #4139
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had a really bad experience with Hotels.com in Costa Rica. The owner and I sorted it out, but with no help from Hotels.com, they left him in the wind. I haven't booked with them since.
This is just some domestic travel, but I haven't had any problems with them before for international bookings. I just don't want some cascading problem where one day behind schedule affects a bunch of one-night stays.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:33 PM   #4140
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
As someone who has had to deal with the backend(inn operator) of expedia (hotels.com), if you want flexibility, book directly with the hotel. As a hotel, we can't do much with bookings through 3rd party sites and it involves a bunch of phone calls from both sides to resolve issues. Hotels might work with you, but it might cost them the commission to hotels.com to help you which can be up to 15+% of the booking.

If you book direct, then the only relationship that you need to filter issues through is directly with the hotel.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post: