Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 11-15-2022, 11:03 AM   #81
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
1000 points to redeem $10???

Good lord, I miss Air Miles.
A scene point is worth about 1/10 of an air mile but the offers seem to give 10x so it’s a wash.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #82
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Glad to see this is officially out, as has been floating around for a while now, mysterious IT issues/can't enter scene etc card at self checkout for weeks, weird non-answers if you ask about it, and within the previous week or so news articles popping up essentially with "uhh, they are being quiet but about all these IT issues...".
Interesting. LYLT (which owns air miles) has been absolutely destroyed this year as a result of losing sponsors plus the war in Ukraine, as they have a promotional business that is mostly based in Eastern Europe. But the stock has more than doubled off the bottom the last couple of weeks, I wonder if this has been a factor.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Sobeys / Safeway hit by Ransomware:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...tack-1.6650636

Scene Redemption, Pharmacy, Self Checkouts are all down. Internal operations are a mess, so warehouse is sending out items based on guesses (and it's also why the meat counter case was closed). Payroll is down.

I think it's safe to assume Scene and Pharmacy personal data was breached.
I was wondering why so many shelves were empty for the past week. Meat dept has had no chicken breast for days and they couldn’t tell me when they’d get more. Seemed very odd. Way beyond the usual supply chain issues that have been going on for the last while.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #84
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe a dumb question but are there ever are welcome bonuses or signing up for a scene card? Just the regular card on its own - not as part of a credit card...
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #85
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
A scene point is worth about 1/10 of an air mile but the offers seem to give 10x so it’s a wash.
Except it's only on specific items. I spent $200 at Safeway and got 26 Scene points, but if I bought 6 microwave breakfasts for $4 each I would get 10,000. It's stupid.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #86
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Except it's only on specific items. I spent $200 at Safeway and got 26 Scene points, but if I bought 6 microwave breakfasts for $4 each I would get 10,000. It's stupid.
PC Optimum is similar. Points are based on offers in your app (some are in store). Every few weeks they have a continuous spend offer where you spend $300 in the week you get 30,000 points.

Although you get points based on dollars spent at Shoppers, not sure if Lawtons (or whoever the Scene+ equivalent is out West)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #87
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Maybe a dumb question but are there ever are welcome bonuses or signing up for a scene card? Just the regular card on its own - not as part of a credit card...
On launch week of Scene, all new members got $10 of points. I suspect there will be promo weeks when they do this again, probably when other new companies join.

Quote:
I suspect Sobeys / Loblaws charges a portion of those "points" in specific items back to their suppliers as a "promotional" fee that's on top of their normal stocking fees they charge. There is no free lunch....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #88
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Spouse has been using the scene card since it came out, mainly at Sobey's. Seems like an utter waste of time.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #89
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I've lucked out, insofar as I have earned a couple hundred points (or $2) in the last couple weeks on stuff I would have bought either way. Going forward I expect it'll get a lot crappier, as MisterPants rightly point out in a post on the previous page.
In the seven weeks since I posted this I have since earned a paltry 200 Scene points ($2.00) from $376.50 spending at Safeway. I would have earned 12 Air Miles ($1.26) under the old program by comparison, so for me it's still better than Air Miles was.

(I earned another 1325 Scene points from Cineplex in the same time period.)

Last edited by timun; 11-28-2022 at 01:45 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:02 PM   #90
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We've been to 1 movie (4 tickets) and gone shopping at the Sobeys group of companies a little less than normal, and have cashed in $30 so far. I am a little annoyed that it's constantly prompting you to cash in your points. I haven't looked be generally cash is the worst deal on points. I should log in and see if that's a setting I can turn off. I assume merch/movie tickets are far better value than groceries cash from this program. Seems at the very least on Par with Air Miles, the points just accrue 10x fast and are worth a 10th.

I did find it very annoying though, my wife has the scene card linked to her email for Cineplex, and it was impossible for me also to link it to mine, so if I want points I am entirely reliant on her email to buy movie tickets. (no more movie dates with the mistress)
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #91
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
PC Optimum is similar. Points are based on offers in your app (some are in store). Every few weeks they have a continuous spend offer where you spend $300 in the week you get 30,000 points.

Although you get points based on dollars spent at Shoppers, not sure if Lawtons (or whoever the Scene+ equivalent is out West)
But you can earn many many more points if you also have a PC Master Card and if you are a PC insider, you get even more points.

I have the PC World Elite card. I earn points on any purchase, I think 10 points on things that are not PC and 30 points on anything that is PC. I use the credit card to pay for everything.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #92
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the seven weeks since I posted this I have since earned a paltry 200 Scene points ($2.00) from $376.50 spending at Safeway. I would have earned 12 Air Miles ($1.26) under the old program by comparison, so for me it's still better than Air Miles was.

You would have earned base Air Miles. It's nearly certain that the same items that had bonus scene points would have had bonus air miles as well.

Last edited by bizaro86; 11-28-2022 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:32 PM   #93
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wouldn't that be 18 base air miles?
Old 11-29-2022, 05:31 AM   #94
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
You would have earned base Air Miles. It's nearly certain that the same items that had bonus scene points would have had bonus air miles as well.
Not in my experience over the last 20ish years...

Quote:
Wouldn't that be 18 base air miles?
Nope, 12. 1 Air Mile per $20 spent, per transaction.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #95
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok then. Hard for me to argue a hypothetical, but I was getting similar/greater value in bonus miles before than I am in bonus scene points now. And obviously with the base rate going to zero I was getting infinitely more in base earnings. YMMV.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #96
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Nope, 12. 1 Air Mile per $20 spent, per transaction.
376/20 = 18.8

Pretty sure Safeway was a cumulative count where if you spent $10 one day and $15 the next you'd get 1 air mile and be $5 on the way to your next one
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #97
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Ok then. Hard for me to argue a hypothetical, but I was getting similar/greater value in bonus miles before than I am in bonus scene points now. And obviously with the base rate going to zero I was getting infinitely more in base earnings. YMMV.
Absolutely YMMV. As I wrote weeks and weeks ago:

Quote:
True there were Air Miles offers of similar value to what I 'earned' yesterday from Scene, but they were very very seldom relevant to my buying. Whereas yesterday, without modifying my buying pattern at all, I earned considerably more. It's just one anecdotal weekend shopping trip, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is about as good as it gets for the Scene program, but it really reinforced just how incredibly pointless and stupid the Air Miles program had become.

[...]

(... in my experience I essentially never bought anything that earned me "bonus" Miles)

Yes, it's entirely my own anecdotal experience. I like reading this thread and comparing anecdotal stories because Air Miles was pointless and stupid for me, and I'm somewhat fascinated by stories from people for whom it 'worked'.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #98
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
376/20 = 18.8

Pretty sure Safeway was a cumulative count where if you spent $10 one day and $15 the next you'd get 1 air mile and be $5 on the way to your next one
If that was the case I got cumulatively screwed out of a few hundred miles accrued up to 2015ish.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #99
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
376/20 = 18.8

I thought it was cumulative per week (I don't know when their week started or ended), so if you went to Safeway on Sunday and Wednesday in the same week and spent $35 each time, you'd get 3 Miles for $60 dollars spent that week. If you went weekly on Sunday and spent $35 each time, you'd get 1 Mile per week for $20 spent.

I just checked my Air Miles account and all my Safeway points are posted on Saturdays, and I never shop at Safeway on Saturday, usually Sunday or Monday if it's a long weekend.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #100
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I thought it was cumulative per week (I don't know when their week started or ended), so if you went to Safeway on Sunday and Wednesday in the same week and spent $35 each time, you'd get 3 Miles for $60 dollars spent that week. If you went weekly on Sunday and spent $35 each time, you'd get 1 Mile per week for $20 spent.

I just checked my Air Miles account and all my Safeway points are posted on Saturdays, and I never shop at Safeway on Saturday, usually Sunday or Monday if it's a long weekend.
It was definitely cumulative per week. Safeway has scrubbed their site of anything air miles related, but one of the smaller chains still has it up. The week ended Saturday for Air Miles purposes.

Quote:
When you present your card, you will earn one AIR MILES Reward Mile for every $20* you spend cumulatively from Sunday morning to Saturday night (11:59 pm or at store closing time) in any Thrifty Foods.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: