Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #1041
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
When on a contract… how far in advance of the end of contract should discussions of an extension start? Who initiates?

These days does one say hey about that inflation can we add 5% to the rate?
Yeah, great question. I'm heading into an expiration of my contract with one of my clients at the end of the year.

So I did a reminder of that with the client at the start of November, and we agreed to sit down at the start of December.

It doesn't hurt to ask about an inflationary bump, I'm going to certainly do it. Just make sure you have some KPI's to back up the increase beyond hey its getting expensive out there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 10:47 PM   #1042
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, great question. I'm heading into an expiration of my contract with one of my clients at the end of the year.

So I did a reminder of that with the client at the start of November, and we agreed to sit down at the start of December.

It doesn't hurt to ask about an inflationary bump, I'm going to certainly do it. Just make sure you have some KPI's to back up the increase beyond hey its getting expensive out there.
Those are both great ideas.
I’ll have to come up with some quantitative KPIs justifying my continued existence and a rate bump. I’m open to anyone sharing ideas on good reasons for the bump, and how much bump. I’m not sure if the typical staff salary increase but for larger organizations would assume ~3-4%??
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:01 PM   #1043
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Those are both great ideas.
I’ll have to come up with some quantitative KPIs justifying my continued existence and a rate bump. I’m open to anyone sharing ideas on good reasons for the bump, and how much bump. I’m not sure if the typical staff salary increase but for larger organizations would assume ~3-4%??
Your EPC right? so I think the big focus would be the increased demand for all positions given the current commodity price forecast. Capital budgets are at or higher than 2022. From what I can tell there is a struggle to find quality personal these days. So in a time of increasing work you don’t want to have to retrain and want to keep consistent people in client facing roles to attract more of the upcoming work.

As far as number I would try to find out what EPCs are increasing fee structure by. I have seen 5-7% citing inflation but that’s only one data point. If you know the fee increase your company is passing on its a straight markup business.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 07:22 AM   #1044
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Your EPC right? so I think the big focus would be the increased demand for all positions given the current commodity price forecast. Capital budgets are at or higher than 2022. From what I can tell there is a struggle to find quality personal these days. So in a time of increasing work you don’t want to have to retrain and want to keep consistent people in client facing roles to attract more of the upcoming work.

As far as number I would try to find out what EPCs are increasing fee structure by. I have seen 5-7% citing inflation but that’s only one data point. If you know the fee increase your company is passing on its a straight markup business.
Previously (many years ago) was at EPC however my individual role is similar so your suggestion definitely is valid/applicable.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #1045
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I am hiring for a helpdesk support role for a downtown corporate head office - this is more of a entry-level IT role but it is good for anybody you may know who is just starting in IT or maybe studying IT at SAIT, etc. Feel free to PM me if you are interested or know anybody.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #1046
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I hate to compete with Hack, but I have two Support Analyst roles one in Edmonton and one in Calgary and a infrastructure analyst role in Calgary. I should have details enough to post here in the next couple of days.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #1047
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love seeing these posts about people hiring.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #1048
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Asking for a friend - any high quality companies you know of that offer the choice of working completely remote? I haven't seen or heard of any of the local oil & gas shops offering this up as a permanent choice. Doesn't have to be oil & gas; can be any industry.
Somewhat related to this question - I'm exploring the world of Consulting and am trying to figure out this client prospecting thing.

I've heard some of the Consulting and CPA Firms have a new "on-demand" consulting model. You're pre-qualified, given access to their portal, and as jobs come up you can take them or decline them. Basically it's like Uber for IT and Management Consulting. The work is typically fully remote.

Anyone know i) what firms / companies are doing this and ii) other online sites (i.e. Indeed) that support this?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:18 AM   #1049
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a contact (if at all) for a beginning 3D artist here in Calgary ?

My son is trying to get started but the results aren't coming so it's time for Dad to step in and see if I can help.

He completed the Digital Media and IT 2 yr program at NAIT a few years back and has been working on his portfolio since.

A foot in the door would really help.

Cheers.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:29 PM   #1050
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Wow, surprised this thread hasn't been bumped in quite a long time!

I'm currently hiring for a few IT positions here in Calgary. One is entry-level and the other two are in Cybersecurity including a more senior role! Hybrid or full remote is available. I'm not a recruiter, it's for my team!

Let me know by DM if you or anybody else you know is interested and I can provide details!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 08:21 PM   #1051
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Wow, surprised this thread hasn't been bumped in quite a long time!

I'm currently hiring for a few IT positions here in Calgary. One is entry-level and the other two are in Cybersecurity including a more senior role! Hybrid or full remote is available. I'm not a recruiter, it's for my team!

Let me know by DM if you or anybody else you know is interested and I can provide details!
have anything that can be done from home? Tech support chat or something?
Old 05-18-2023, 08:22 PM   #1052
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I am hiring for a helpdesk support role for a downtown corporate head office - this is more of a entry-level IT role but it is good for anybody you may know who is just starting in IT or maybe studying IT at SAIT, etc. Feel free to PM me if you are interested or know anybody.
can this be setup on my pc for example and done from home?
Old 05-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #1053
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had one of my contracts ended, and I'm looking for something new, more in the fulltime role.

I have a lot of strong skill sets.

I've been a full cycle recruiter in technical, life Sciences, Executive and volume hiring.
I've been in business development with about 20 years experience in software and IT Technical, I'm also very good in a client success role.
I've worked on small business competitive and market analysis, I'm also working on workflow and process analysis and change management. As well as working with companies to analyze and make recommendations on the technology that they use to build their platforms and products.

Old 05-25-2023, 08:11 PM   #1054
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Might need to get some independent health/dental benefits preferential towards paramedicals, somewhat basic/middle level dental, drug coverage not as important.

So this would NOT be a corporate plan. Last time I looked some places were stupid expensive. Last time I used Manulife and they were brutal. Any advise for good experiences?
Old 05-26-2023, 08:57 AM   #1055
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I ran all the numbers for our family of 5 for our medical expenses with some contingency in there and we came ahead just paying out of pocket. The premiums are so ridiculous for what you get for coverage.

I suggest putting everything down on paper and comparing it to the plans offered. Obviously everyone is different and the situation will change as our family gets older. At this moment we figured we're probably saving a few thousand a year paying out of pocket and if something happens we can cover it.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 10:17 AM   #1056
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
My wife and I ran all the numbers for our family of 5 for our medical expenses with some contingency in there and we came ahead just paying out of pocket. The premiums are so ridiculous for what you get for coverage.

I suggest putting everything down on paper and comparing it to the plans offered. Obviously everyone is different and the situation will change as our family gets older. At this moment we figured we're probably saving a few thousand a year paying out of pocket and if something happens we can cover it.

Yes that's the delicate balancing act for sure. The age old issue is the great "what if something significant happens?" Such as major illness requiring expensive drugs/treatments. I'm finding that to get a decent health/dental for us runs about $500/mo. This excludes critical illness and life insurance. That $500/mo is only "worth it" during normal healthy times if everyone does their dental visits on time (and the odd fix), AND some minor drug coverages, AND some paramedicals such as physio and/or massage... AND perhaps some eyecare/eyewear.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:37 PM   #1057
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ever started a job and had the feeling your new supervisor wasn’t ever in agreement with your hiring and so basically ensured things didn’t work out but their leadership dont see that and now that bus you’ve been thrown under keeps backing over you?
Dagnabbit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 05:10 PM   #1058
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, had a 14.5 year employment run come to an end yesterday. Don't really know who to tell and don't really want to broadcast it to the world so anonymous posters on CP it is. Financially I'll be fine. Mentally I'm absolutely gutted right now. I'm alternating between telling myself everything will be okay and bawling because of the rejection.

The worst part is it's in an industry (tech) and role (product management) where the job market is very rough right now. The last time I was laid off I was back in 6 weeks but this time I would be shocked if I'm back that quick.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2023, 03:08 PM   #1059
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Well, had a 14.5 year employment run come to an end yesterday. Don't really know who to tell and don't really want to broadcast it to the world so anonymous posters on CP it is. Financially I'll be fine. Mentally I'm absolutely gutted right now. I'm alternating between telling myself everything will be okay and bawling because of the rejection.

The worst part is it's in an industry (tech) and role (product management) where the job market is very rough right now. The last time I was laid off I was back in 6 weeks but this time I would be shocked if I'm back that quick.
As someone who went through something similar, I strongly recommend taking some time to get in a better place before starting applications, etc. Go hiking and get some fresh air, something like that.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2023, 04:30 PM   #1060
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
As someone who went through something similar, I strongly recommend taking some time to get in a better place before starting applications, etc. Go hiking and get some fresh air, something like that.
FULLY agree, especially if you have the means to do so. Go enjoy one month, deal with those legit feelings and frustrations, then start networking in August and developing your resume, then in Sept hit the Search button.

If you haven’t been laid off before that first time is a huge shocker. Really sucks and for sure there’s some ptsd too.