Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2022, 03:49 PM   #3681
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question, why is the Green Line subway line going under 11th ave, and not 10th ave -- where it won't affect Manhattan & Lewis Lofts?

(propaganda: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....ocumentId=6833 )
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #3682
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Question, why is the Green Line subway line going under 11th ave, and not 10th ave -- where it won't affect Manhattan & Lewis Lofts?

Crap, I recall hearing the debate but forget what the rationale was for this. I'm guessing a bit here but my two trains of thought are either (or both):

1. 11 Ave closer to the new events centre and Stampede Park in Victoria Park
2. turning radius required to turn the train north and into downtown might be too great to work along 11 Avenue
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #3683
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Crap, I recall hearing the debate but forget what the rationale was for this. I'm guessing a bit here but my two trains of thought are either (or both):

2. turning radius required to turn the train north and into downtown might be too great to work along 11 Avenue
I was wondering if it had to do with the depth required to go under the south LRT line, as it sinks underground after the library?

https://www.calgary.ca/green-line/green-line-map.html

IMHO, it's silly as they're going to cut the corners of the two best loft buildings in town (Manhattan & Lewis), and they're Heritage. There's surely going to be foundational issues. Recall just recently, the Hanover building from the huge pit adjacent during TELUS Sky construction.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:51 PM   #3684
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

Well played.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #3685
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post

1. Your link is from five years ago, when the proposed alignment was on 12th Ave. The current alignment, agreed to last year, is to go down 11th and not touch the Manhattan and Lewis Lofts at all.

2. Going down 10th presents several problems, the biggest being the crossing at 4th Street SE. To go under 4th St is not an option because it wouldn't be deep enough. To go over would require a new bridge and then to drop below grade west of 4th Street, which means 10th Ave becomes a trench between 4th St and Macleod. There likely isn't enough room to get the train entirely below grade by the time it crosses Macleod, so you're potentially looking at an at-grade crossing at Macleod.

Finally, accommodating for the radius of the curve onto 2nd St SW would put the tunnel underneath the PennWest Plaza and Bankers Court buildings, both of which have much deeper foundations that the lower-rise buildings on 11th.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 09:49 AM   #3686
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-t...ases-1.6002339

The planin to address safety concernis includes bringing in 28 additional peace officers and hiring 31 transit security guards to patrol and provide customer assistance.

Doing so will cost an additional $5.9M annually and $370,000 in one-time expenditures.

Rider safety on public transit has been a critical concern for many Calgarians over the past few months.

In early July, the Calgary Police Service partnered with Calgary Transit to crackdown on crime along transit lines.

Over four days, police executed 327 warrants, laid a total of 86 criminal charges, seized about 30-thousands dollars worth of hard drugs and prevented four overdoses.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:35 PM   #3687
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think those types of pushes to move the problem out of commuting hubs and into local communities is probably a net good. It certainly doesn’t solve the problem for the city as a whole it just moves it to areas where less people notice it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #3688
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Running a full size bus on the 101 every half hour is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.

Like, comically stupid. Empty bus running up and down Inglewood all day long for a total daily passenger volume that wouldn’t fill a passenger van. It was a joke when it was a shuttle bus, now it’s just blatant waste.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:27 PM   #3689
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...o_saved_me_on/

I owe a shout-out to the gentleman who stepped up for me on C-Train going southbound between Erlton Stampede station and Chinook station at around 10:35 am on Friday August 5.

A homeless person approached me on the Ctrain, asking to use my cell phone. I felt unsafe and declined him, and then walked to the other end of the cart. He followed me and stood beside me. Suddenly, he tried to punch me. I ducked with my instinct. I am a short and thin female, and was too shocked and scared at that moment to think how I should remain safe from this attacker double my size who seemed on drug then.

A gentleman standing beside me stepped up. He scolded this homeless guy and asked him to back off. He said, “You leave her alone. Do not even think about hurting her. This is not gonna happen. Not under my watch.”

The homeless person murmured something and then walked away. He took off at Chinook station. Before I had a chance to say thank you, the gentleman who stepped up for me also took off.

To this gentleman who saved me, thank you. I should have posted this earlier. I hope you may see this. Thank you for speaking out for me, thank you for watching out for others on the Ctrain, thank you for being the hero.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:14 PM   #3690
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could believe everything in that story, except what that guy was quoted as saying.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #3691
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I could believe everything in that story, except what that guy was quoted as saying.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #3692
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Question in case anybody knows. Today when tracking my bus on the YYC Transit app there was a skunk icon right beside the bus. It wasn't there when I first started tracking the bus, but was a few minutes later. It followed along with the bus on the map.

The bus ride was fine- no stinky passengers or anything like that.

Anybody know what that is supposed to mean?
Spoiler!
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #3693
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is somebody’s icon. They use it to augment the location. It’s kind of like Waze.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 10:03 AM   #3694
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My icon is a wizard.
I friggen love the app. *most of the time* it's very accurate and let's me avoid standing in the cold for 40 minutes.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #3695
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1597680601037144064

https://twitter.com/user/status/1597727495864090624
Old 11-29-2022, 04:16 PM   #3696
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Less seats / m of car, roughly the same capacity.

I wonder if the low floor stations will lead to more injuries due to collisions as it won’t be as visually obvious where the edges are. The 4 foot drop Kees you further back that the 1 foot drop will.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #3697
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those few seats are going to be in high demand if the green line ever reaches it's full length. We'll have flying cars by then so it won't be a concern, but still...

I do find it a little amusing that they went with a design that integrates with the street environment, yet most of the current route is completely separated from the urban realm. Maybe Inglewood, and a few north stops, but the rest of the line is pretty separate.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #3698
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard something about Ottawa low floor trains sometimes getting stuck in the snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Those few seats are going to be in high demand if the green line ever reaches it's full length. We'll have flying cars by then so it won't be a concern, but still...

I do find it a little amusing that they went with a design that integrates with the street environment, yet most of the current route is completely separated from the urban realm. Maybe Inglewood, and a few north stops, but the rest of the line is pretty separate.
Maybe that's why they insist upon running it up Centre St
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #3699
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...fasd-diagnosis

Man who slashed stranger’s throat on CTrain avoids federal prison; judge considers FASD diagnosis

Sending an offender who slashed the throat of a total stranger on a CTrain to a federal prison would do no good for either the perpetrator or society, a judge said Monday.

Instead, provincial court Judge Harry Van Harten sentenced Bobby Crane, 25, to the maximum provincial jail time of two years less a day and ordered him to serve three additional years of probation.

Crown prosecutor Tara Wells sought a four-year penitentiary term for Crane, who slashed the throat of a visually impaired Calgary man on his way to work during morning rush hour.

In a victim impact statement, Leonard Smith, 65, said doctors told him the 23-centimetre gash on his throat missed his carotid artery by four millimetres.

Wells said a severe sentence was required for what she called “a horrific act of random violence.”

Reading from a statement of agreed facts, Wells said Smith was standing on a CTrain around 6:20 a.m. last May 18, when he was attacked by Crane.

She said Crane told a friend he wanted “to get” a guy before walking up to Smith with a utility knife.

Van Harten said the generational trauma European society has caused to Indigenous communities had to be addressed.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:16 PM   #3700
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598378413827493927

It’s going to be Scotiabank or Rogers, isn’t it?

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings