Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #2221
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
You jerks better have watched this! Easily one of the coolest I've seen in a long time.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #2222
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole series is so well done. In our house we're huge Brian Cox fans, so much that my 4yo son wanted to be him for Halloween.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #2223
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

2 Futures Can Explain Time's Mysterious Past

New theories suggest the big bang was not the beginning, and that we may live in the past of a parallel universe

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...sterious-past/

Tentative new work from Julian Barbour of the University of Oxford, Tim Koslowski of the University of New Brunswick and Flavio Mercati of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics suggests that perhaps the arrow of time doesn’t really require a fine-tuned, low-entropy initial state at all but is instead the inevitable product of the fundamental laws of physics. Barbour and his colleagues argue that it is gravity, rather than thermodynamics, that draws the bowstring to let time’s arrow fly. Their findings were published in October in Physical Review Letters.

Although the model is crude, and does not incorporate either quantum mechanics or general relativity, its potential implications are vast. If it holds true for our actual universe, then the big bang could no longer be considered a cosmic beginning but rather only a phase in an effectively timeless and eternal universe. More prosaically, a two-branched arrow of time would lead to curious incongruities for observers on opposite sides. “This two-futures situation would exhibit a single, chaotic past in both directions, meaning that there would be essentially two universes, one on either side of this central state,” Barbour says. “If they were complicated enough, both sides could sustain observers who would perceive time going in opposite directions. Any intelligent beings there would define their arrow of time as moving away from this central state. They would think we now live in their deepest past.”

Last edited by troutman; 12-09-2014 at 01:46 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #2224
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ That's what I was thinking.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #2225
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I believe that gravity instead of my stupidity stops me from understanding this...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #2226
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I believe that gravity instead of my stupidity stops me from understanding this...
Think of "Time" as a Direction rather than as Time. In our view going north is moving forward in time, and going south is moving backward in time.

If you look at light that took 13B years to get here you are actually looking at the big bang. Everything we see moving out from the big bang is effectively moving north, or "forward in time". But he is theorizing there is another universe layered on top (or below, or beside, direction doesn't really matter) that only sees everything moving south, or backward in time (from our view point).

This is just my own thinking here, but if you listen to Einsteins theory that there are an infinite number of universes. Then if this guys prediction proves to be true, maybe it is not just two universes moving in opposite directions in "Time", but many many many universes moving in every direction in time. and the Big Bang would be a central point where they all meet.

Then if you ever could reach the Big Bang by moving against the speed of light for 13 B years than you could start moving forward in time in a complete different reality.

Its a wild thing to think about. But so many ifs and untestable theories.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #2227
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wow. Good work with that explanation. Makes sense.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #2228
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The whole series is so well done. In our house we're huge Brian Cox fans, so much that my 4yo son wanted to be him for Halloween.
Cool costume idea! But how do you get a four year old to look like this man?

icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #2229
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
2 Futures Can Explain Time's Mysterious Past

New theories suggest the big bang was not the beginning, and that we may live in the past of a parallel universe

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...sterious-past/

Tentative new work from Julian Barbour of the University of Oxford, Tim Koslowski of the University of New Brunswick and Flavio Mercati of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics suggests that perhaps the arrow of time doesn’t really require a fine-tuned, low-entropy initial state at all but is instead the inevitable product of the fundamental laws of physics. Barbour and his colleagues argue that it is gravity, rather than thermodynamics, that draws the bowstring to let time’s arrow fly. Their findings were published in October in Physical Review Letters.

Although the model is crude, and does not incorporate either quantum mechanics or general relativity, its potential implications are vast. If it holds true for our actual universe, then the big bang could no longer be considered a cosmic beginning but rather only a phase in an effectively timeless and eternal universe. More prosaically, a two-branched arrow of time would lead to curious incongruities for observers on opposite sides. “This two-futures situation would exhibit a single, chaotic past in both directions, meaning that there would be essentially two universes, one on either side of this central state,” Barbour says. “If they were complicated enough, both sides could sustain observers who would perceive time going in opposite directions. Any intelligent beings there would define their arrow of time as moving away from this central state. They would think we now live in their deepest past.”
Meh, when black holes swallow everything and then merge to become one single black hole we'll have another "big bang" .....when if barfs of course.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #2230
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

There was this one animation at the end of Lucy that showed what I have often visualized as the multiverse, if we went back through the big bang. (I hated that movie so much.)

But here's the best rough idea of what multiverse might look like.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #2231
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Think of "Time" as a Direction rather than as Time. In our view going north is moving forward in time, and going south is moving backward in time.

If you look at light that took 13B years to get here you are actually looking at the big bang. Everything we see moving out from the big bang is effectively moving north, or "forward in time". But he is theorizing there is another universe layered on top (or below, or beside, direction doesn't really matter) that only sees everything moving south, or backward in time (from our view point).

This is just my own thinking here, but if you listen to Einsteins theory that there are an infinite number of universes. Then if this guys prediction proves to be true, maybe it is not just two universes moving in opposite directions in "Time", but many many many universes moving in every direction in time. and the Big Bang would be a central point where they all meet.

Then if you ever could reach the Big Bang by moving against the speed of light for 13 B years than you could start moving forward in time in a complete different reality.

Its a wild thing to think about. But so many ifs and untestable theories.
Einstein had no such theory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #2232
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Scientists Recreate First Spark Of Life

http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/...roid-collision

Using a high-power laser to simulate a collision, scientists from the Academy of Sciences in the Czech Republic created the four essential ingredients of RNA, a close relative of DNA, from a chemical soup. While the work can’t prove how life started on Earth, it is the first time that these four molecules have all been made under one set of experimental conditions. The work has been published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #2233
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Today New Horizons has been awakened, Next month it's expected to start sending back images slightly better than Hubbles images as it's down to the final 162 million miles of its journey and will arrive July 14.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...lutosdoorstep/

Mind boggling part:

Traveling at over 36,000 mph New Horizons is the fastest spacecraft ever, when it reaches Pluto after it 9.5 year mission this July it will have traveled almost 3 billion miles.

If it could have traveled at the speed of light it would have took about 4.5 hours to reach Pluto.
Spoiler!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #2234
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was young I thought the ancients were pretty stupid and uneducated. Since than I don't see much difference between man 2000 years ago and now. Anyways I found this fascinating.

Quote:
Ancient Computer Even More Ancient Than We Thought
http://www.iflscience.com/technology...n-more-ancient

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #2235
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is insane, the US Navy has developed a fully-usable laser weapon that in now authorized for combat.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_c2
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #2236
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
This is insane, the US Navy has developed a fully-usable laser weapon that in now authorized for combat.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_c2
That is INSANE!!!
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #2237
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Do We FINALLY Have Proof of Life on Mars?

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/do-w...f-life-on-mars

With all that said, this new round of headlines concerning Mars is worth some closer attention. One of the first reports came from The Independent whose headline reads: There just might be life on Mars….NASA Curiosity rover picks up mysterious methane ‘burps’ that could possibly be coming from alien organisms. In fact, Curiosity Tweeted the news: Certified organics! I detected organics for the 1st time on the surface of Mars. But the real “main event” took place at a press conference at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting in San Francisco, California when NASA scientists announced that an instrument (The Tunable Laser Spectrometer or TLS) on the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover has detected varying levels of methane on Mars.

So now we have the announcement that the TLS, which is a very precise tool for measuring methane content of the Martian atmosphere at ground level, has measured different levels of methane compared to some of its prior readings, confirming the variability of methane levels in Mars’ atmosphere. Variability in the methane is one of the prerequisites for concluding that organic life exists on Mars. It is not the only requirement, but it does fill in one piece of the “Life on Mars” puzzle quite nicely.

So is NASA getting ready for a big press conference to declare there is definitely life on Mars? Negative. Let’s face it, this would be one of the most important scientific discoveries of human history. NASA or the ESA or any other space agency can not get this wrong. It is simply too important, there is no immediate urgency behind this discovery, so there is no reason to rush in to any premature or highly embarrassing announcements. Science requires time to make discoveries, and time to understand what has been discovered. Mars isn’t going away, and if organisms are responsible for the methane variations, they are not going away either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #2238
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I think Nasa learned from it's last "Major Announcement" press conference.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #2239
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...elon-hyperloop

Elon Musk's Hyperloop concept is actually taking shape and making progress.

Ahlborn doesn't expect to have the technical feasibility study finished until mid-2015, but he decided to show off what his team has done so far to coincide with the midterm break of the design group at UCLA. So far, the team has made progress in three main areas: the capsules, the stations, and the route.

Interesting to note that it's going to cost $6-10 billion for a 400-mile stretch. And some routes are going to be impacted by rough terrain. The article mentions that the best layout is flat land - this is something we have between Calgary and Edmonton, and lots of it.

A CBC article from May says that in a feasibility report for an Alberta/Edmonton bullet train, the cost would be exactly the same.

Just thought it was cool, considering that Calgary and Edmonton are 186 miles apart and that's less than half the cost of a 400 mile line. Could a hyperloop be a better option in the future? It appears that the trip would take even less time than a bullet train, if the technology challenges are worked out.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #2240
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hi-res image of Andromeda Galaxy:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc.../image/a/warn/

These images should be downloaded, not viewed with a browser. Even though the file sizes may be small, the number of pixels these images contain can be problematic for a browser. The image may not appear, it may cause your Web browser to lock up, or it may crash your computer. Some Web browsers will display a "broken image" icon in response to your attempt to view the picture.

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science