Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #301
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The idea was that a visit by the CPS management to Disneyland "management training" after city council would help their organization deal with the situations of violent armed citizens in a warmer, fuzzier way.

Give them a big old goofy hug or a good ol' "don't forget about tomorrowland".

I apologize it did not take place at Disney.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 11-30-2016 at 12:19 AM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #302
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It was probably in the basement conference rooms of the Glenmore Inn or something (basically the opposite of Disneyland.)
The course our team did was actually at Disneyland in CA. Part of the course involves going through the interview rooms, dressing and employee break rooms and some interviews with employees.

Basically they claim to be the happiest place on earth and want to demonstate that to those on this course.

As far as I know these guys weren't going on rides during the day though. Unsure if CPS did the exact same thing.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #303
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Honestly, I'd like one politician to run on the premise they are going to make the city better by going to Disneyland on tax dollar expense. It's an upside down world.

My point was sending the police officers to Disneyland will not undo the reality of the calls and the threats to their person they will continue to face. There is no warm and fuzzy answer to violence from suspects or police.
Voters are stupid, they vote for you if you tell them exactly what they already believe. Complaining about a management training course because Disney was the provider is ridiculous. Complain because you believe in general management training is overpriced and ineffective.

If you change the word Disneyland to GE you would see a lot fewer complaints.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #304
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
The course our team did was actually at Disneyland in CA. Part of the course involves going through the interview rooms, dressing and employee break rooms and some interviews with employees.

Basically they claim to be the happiest place on earth and want to demonstate that to those on this course.

As far as I know these guys weren't going on rides during the day though. Unsure if CPS did the exact same thing.
I'd be interested in seeing the photos of fully uniformed officers squeezed into the teacup ride.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #305
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't have an issue with it. Disney has been doing these seminars for years. for 60 people it works out to about 1300 a person which is isn't to far out of the price range for these leadership seminars. If it helps this city become better able to handle it's duties than I am all for it.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socktape For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #306
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post

CPS did not go to (or have here) the Disney management course. That was the City of Calgary execs.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #307
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Let's Talk about the Calgary Police Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The idea was that a visit by the CPS management to Disneyland "management training" after city council would help their organization deal with the situations of violent armed citizens in a warmer, fuzzier way.

Give them a big old goofy hug or a good ol' "don't forget about tomorrowland".

I apologize it did not take place at Disney.

Okay, but the training was for City managers. Was CPS even involved? I didn't read anything about that and never got the impression they were related.

Edit: Ditto Whitetiger's post, really.

Last edited by ae118; 11-30-2016 at 10:46 AM.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #308
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The number of shootings from the CPS came up today in a chat with a South African buddy. Not to diminish the severity of 10 shootings so far this year, but he was saying he has a friend that works ER in Cape Town. She sees 8-10 shootings a day and "can't keep count of the stabbings".

I don't think we should use SA as our measure for societal crime or police involved shooting, but it sometimes is nice to remember just how good we have it here.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #309
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae118 View Post
Okay, but the training was for City managers. Was CPS even involved? I didn't read anything about that and never got the impression they were related.

Edit: Ditto Whitetiger's post, really.
It started as a 'joke' post about a page back now, where it was said that maybe CPS should go to the 'Disney' training. From there, the conversation has gone on to talk about the Disney training and its usefulness/effectiveness.

I'm kind of amused by how it's come full circle around now to people thinking that CPS did go to Disney on training. The last page has been an interesting show of how the game 'telephone' works, and how fast misinformation can get out there.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-30-2016 at 12:07 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #310
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks - I had no idea how he was putting the two together.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #311
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talking about stolen vehicles being a problem...from their FB page:

"This morning within a two-hour period, 5 vehicles were stolen with the keys in the ignition.
As a part of Operation Cold Start, officers on patrol are on the lookout for vehicles left running with the keys inside. Officers are using these opportunities to educate citizens so they don’t become victims of crime. In many cases, citizens had no idea how at risk they were.
Vehicle thefts are crimes of opportunity and we need your help to take these opportunities away from criminals. If our officers can find this many unattended vehicles, then so can thieves. Stolen vehicles are often used in many other crimes that impact each one of us, including break and enters, drug offences and fraud."

(Big Picture)
Spoiler!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #312
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Plus idling your engine is bad. Give it 30 seconds, pull away and your car will warm up faster and last longer.

Then there are the guys from Edmonton idling their diesels while parked in +5C weather...
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #313
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Plus idling your engine is bad. Give it 30 seconds, pull away and your car will warm up faster and last longer.

Then there are the guys from Edmonton idling their diesels while parked in +5C weather...
Revving the engine before it reaches operating temp can be bad. Driving a cold engine is bad.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #314
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

If there are any car thieves out there, I'd be happy to send them to my neighbour's house. He turns his diesel truck on at least twenty minutes before driving anywhere. That deep rumble drives me insane for the entire time. I'd rather have him playing super loud music than that. So car thieves, there is a truck waiting for you in Saddleridge.
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #315
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

If warming up my vehicle is bad for it, TFB. Minus anything outside, and mine gets 10 minutes (my ##### ass gasoline 1/2 ton). Not gonna lie, I hate getting into a freezing cold vehicle, so I use my remote start. Less selfishly, it takes quite awhile for the back seat to get warm, and I don't want my daughter freezing back there either. And even less selfishly, getting into a freezing vehicle and shivering and breathing vapour onto the windshield while going 10kph down the road is not at all safe.

I declare you to be incorrect! Warm up your vehicles, people! And brush off the snow, FFS.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #316
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you change the word Disneyland to GE you would see a lot fewer complaints.
A lot of the blame (As always) rests with the media. They're the ones so hellbent on pushing the Disney angle. Even the articles that explain what Disney does and how it is valuable training still go with a headline that is clearly written to sound like they got a free trip to Disneyland on our buck.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #317
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
If warming up my vehicle is bad for it, TFB. Minus anything outside, and mine gets 10 minutes (my ##### ass gasoline 1/2 ton). Not gonna lie, I hate getting into a freezing cold vehicle, so I use my remote start. Less selfishly, it takes quite awhile for the back seat to get warm, and I don't want my daughter freezing back there either. And even less selfishly, getting into a freezing vehicle and shivering and breathing vapour onto the windshield while going 10kph down the road is not at all safe.

I declare you to be incorrect! Warm up your vehicles, people! And brush off the snow, FFS.
Ya, maybe it is because I am full of hot air, but if I jump in a cold vehicle and drive off I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a fogged up, then frozen windshield within 1.3 minutes. I don't give a crap about being cold, but I'd like to see.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #318
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

The best part of the Disneyland news story is this timbit CBC included:

Quote:
In addition to the usual coffee and refreshments, the public servants were treated to breakfast and lunch which were paid for by the city.

They dined on salads and roast beef for lunch, with chocolate brownies and vanilla creme brulee for desserts.
A hot lunch and Salads oooooooooooooooooooooo

Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #319
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
The best part of the Disneyland news story is this timbit CBC included:

A hot lunch and Salads oooooooooooooooooooooo

They should get sandwich platters like the rest of us! Silly Hall indeed.

But really, the cost per person was $1300...that's incredibly reasonable for a training course.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #320
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

Can't disagree with the suckiness of getting in a cold vehicle, but;

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-harms-engine/
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post: