Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #281
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
What the hell does this even mean?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nded-1.3872151

You asked.

Quote:
CBC News reported yesterday that the city spent $80,000 on a one-day training course put on by the Disney Institute. As far as Mayor Naheed Nenshi is concerned, it was "money well spent".

The course was attended by nearly five dozen top city managers and supervisors.

"If we're going to look at every single training program, every single thing that we do, every consultant that we hire, just because it happens to say Disney and it's fun to make Mickey Mouse puns, I don't think that's a particularly useful exercise for me," he said.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #282
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Edmonton has 0? How is that even possible.
It's not linear so obviously lots of factors, but Calgary is sitting at its highest unemployment rate in 20 years and highest in the country yet our cost of living is still on par"ish" with places like Toronto and Vancouver. It's a tough place to be for a lot of people right now

Last edited by Leeman4Gilmour; 11-29-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #283
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
People shouldn't make fun of Disney. They move around a city full of people everyday and make them happy while they wait in lines. If our city can run like Disneyland does I am all for it. Imagine fast pass lanes on roads that schedule you a time to use it.

Spending 80k on a 60 person training course regardless of provider seems quite reasonable if the course was effective.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #284
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
People shouldn't make fun of Disney. They move around a city full of people everyday and make them happy while they wait in lines. If our city can run like Disneyland does I am all for it. Imagine fast pass lanes on roads that schedule you a time to use it.

Spending 80k on a 60 person training course regardless of provider seems quite reasonable if the course was effective.
I wasn't making fun of Disney.

I was just giving him info.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #285
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

ASIRT releases some preliminary info along with pictures of the two weapons the lady was holding, via their twitter - https://twitter.com/ASIRT_AB

https://solgps.alberta.ca/asirt/medi...20shooting.pdf

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-29-2016 at 03:47 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #286
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Whitetiger, is it true that suicide by cop (aka: forcing a cop to kill you by making it look like you're attacking with a weapon/gun) actually happens a few times a year, but because it's officially a suicide the media doesn't report it? or is that old wives tale?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #287
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF is that thing????
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #288
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
WTF is that thing????
My guess on the second one (since the first is obvious) is that it would have been one of the longer serrated bread knives, with the handle broken off and the blade twisted. Probably started its life looking something like this:

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-29-2016 at 04:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #289
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Whitetiger, is it true that suicide by cop (aka: forcing a cop to kill you by making it look like you're attacking with a weapon/gun) actually happens a few times a year, but because it's officially a suicide the media doesn't report it? or is that old wives tale?
Calgary media is very good and quick to report any shooting incident that its police department is involved in. Calgary media is very quick onto the scene any time there is any report or any sniff of a possibility that a police officer has discharged their firearm. As for other cities...not living there/working in them, I'd have no clue.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-29-2016 at 04:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #290
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You don't intervene, follow with a chopper until they leave the vehicle. There is definitely a trade off between risk to the public and risk to the officers.
You realize that the grand majority of stolen vehicle calls end up this way right? Unfortunately there is only 1 helicopter and there are restrictions with it being things like fuel and weather so there will be large swaths of time the chopper isn't available
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #291
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Senior management in my company attended that exact same course put on by Disney.

They found that course to be very effective because it focused on the Corporate culture at Disney and how they have been able to retain people and keep them happy. It started from screening the right applicants all the way to how to keep them happy in a what would be considered to be some pretty awful jobs at Disney (i.e. dressing up as a mascot and sweating yourself to death for low wages) and still manage to have an employee come away happy at the end of the day.

Of course our company implemented none of the recommendations, but from what I heard it was still a good course.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #292
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, I'd like one politician to run on the premise they are going to make the city better by going to Disneyland on tax dollar expense. It's an upside down world.

My point was sending the police officers to Disneyland will not undo the reality of the calls and the threats to their person they will continue to face. There is no warm and fuzzy answer to violence from suspects or police.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #293
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trying to not judge the chick and her new boyfriend police officer based on a single photo before proven guilty in a court of law.......
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #294
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Trying to not judge the chick and her new boyfriend police officer based on a single photo before proven guilty in a court of law.......
I clearly missed an article or something. What are you talking about?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #295
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post

Of course our company implemented none of the recommendations, but from what I heard it was still a good course.
This is the problem with these one day seminars (or even 2 day).

Unless you purchase the follow-through/follow-up package, or at least assign someone in the office to actually implement and track, these things tend to wither away and everyone goes back to the old ways. My former firm would spend huge dollars on these consultants/motivators and, while the presentations were often great, and made everyone feel good, shortly after things are back to normal.

Spending 80K on a seminar for a whole lot of managers directing 100's of millions of dollars is not a bad idea. But why Disneyland? That cost must have been astronomical.

Last edited by Kjesse; 11-29-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #296
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post

Unless you purchase the follow-through/follow-up package, or at least assign someone in the office to actually implement and track, these things tend to wither away and everyone goes back to the old ways. My former firm would spend huge dollars on these consultants/motivators and, while the presentations were often great, and made everyone feel good, shortly after things are back to normal.

Spending 80K on a seminar for a whole lot of managers directing 100's of millions of dollars is not a bad idea. But why Disneyland? That cost must have been astronomical.
They didn't go to Disneyland. It was a Disney based course.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #297
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with most of your post, but, I am a little confused by bolded, the cost was..... 80K?
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #298
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Honestly, I'd like one politician to run on the premise they are going to make the city better by going to Disneyland on tax dollar expense. It's an upside down world.

My point was sending the police officers to Disneyland will not undo the reality of the calls and the threats to their person they will continue to face. There is no warm and fuzzy answer to violence from suspects or police.

Sorry, what? They didn't go to Disneyland - it was a management seminar focusing on corporate culture held for senior City management. I didn't get the impression from the article that the police were involved either. Perhaps it's just late but I'm not following.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #299
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Now that I've read an article on National Post, it says:

"...city staff attended the Disney Institute training session in Calgary titled “Disney’s Approach to Business Excellence.”....

I'm surprised Disney has branched out to training managers as an enterprise.

The cost in light of that doesn't seem off to me at all.

For the seminars I was speaking about before, we'd go to a foreign location, all expenses paid. It was very expensive but seen as team building.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #300
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now that I've read an article on National Post, it says:

"...city staff attended the Disney Institute training session in Calgary titled “Disney’s Approach to Business Excellence.”....

I'm surprised Disney has branched out to training managers as an enterprise.

The cost in light of that doesn't seem off to me at all.

For the seminars I was speaking about before, we'd go to a foreign location, all expenses paid. It was very expensive but seen as team building.
It was probably in the basement conference rooms of the Glenmore Inn or something (basically the opposite of Disneyland.)