Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #141
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Well, I think it just emphasizes how bad his predecessors were. Again, see Tuchel with Chelsea - Rudiger goes from not even being on the bench to best defender in Europe. Maybe coaching matters.
Chelsea have far more talent than the Flames, even before they got Lukaku. I think we're more like a West Ham, or perhaps the Spurs now that they fired Nuno.

In general the PL has far less tolerance than the NHL for ineffective managers. No way would Ward or even BT have lasted so long in the prem.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #142
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soccer talk should be an automatic suspension.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #143
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
Chelsea have far more talent than the Flames, even before they got Lukaku. I think we're more like a West Ham, or perhaps the Spurs now that they fired Nuno...
What the hell is going on here.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #144
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Is he that good, or were the previous coaches that bad?
Sutter's really that good, but I wish he were more willing to blender things up when it's not going well, a la Hartley, or first-half-of2018/19 Peters. That's about my only criticism. IMO blenders work when they're a response to poor play on the ice (e.g. three guys had two poor periods, so shorten the bench and roll the other nine)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #145
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Ward was a terrible head coach. I think he's a fine assistant coach.

GG was a terrible head coach.
To be fair to Gulutzan he's also a fine assistant coach. They were both horrible NHL head coaches which probably robbed the core of this team of a few good seasons.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #146
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Sutter's really that good, but I wish he were more willing to blender things up when it's not going well, a la Hartley, or first-half-of2018/19 Peters. That's about my only criticism. IMO blenders work when they're a response to poor play on the ice (e.g. three guys had two poor periods, so shorten the bench and roll the other nine)
In the past, Sutter did match lines and blend with the best of them - which was Peter's primary issue (not the sole issue) in the Colorado series. Sutter may have certain goals for players that he's hoping to achieve - evaluating "performance" as he said in his press conference.

I suspect that line matching and blending will happen as intensity ramps up further along in the season.

In the summer, I did wonder how much Sutter had learned to modify his ways after his time with the Kings. He seemed like a different coach in LA versus Calgary and I wonder if in his down time he spends his time updating his approaches towards the game.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #147
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
To be fair to Gulutzan he's also a fine assistant coach. They were both horrible NHL head coaches which probably robbed the core of this team of a few good seasons.
I still can't figure out how Ward turned out so bad.

Like, Gulutzan, I get. Stubborn, never won at any level so didn't know exactly what it takes, used cringey catchphrases (Emotional Bank Account), had unimpressive stories (We all sat down on a train and had a beer!!!) and had bizarre motivational tactics (stick throw)

But Ward should have been better.

He won a cup in Boston.

He understudied under Julien and Peters who achieved strong systems play. He won the President's Trophy eith Julien and Western Conference eith Peters.

He made the brilliant decision to stitch together the Lucic-Bennett-Dube line after Bennett had been sidelined as a depth winger for years.

And yet he was an utter disaster outside of the play-in series vs Winnipeg. So bad that I was compelled to write an essay on it.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 11-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #148
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I still can't figure out how Ward turned out so bad.

Like, Gulutzan, I get. Stubborn, never won at any level so didn't know exactly what it takes, used cringey catchphrases (Emotional Bank Account), had unimpressive stories (We all sat down on a train and had a beer!!!) and had bizarre motivational tactics (stick throw)

But Ward should have been better.

He won a cup in Boston.

He understudied under Julien and Peters who achieved strong systems play. He won the President's Trophy eith Julien and Western Conference eith Peters.

He made the brilliant decision to stitch together the Lucic-Bennett-Dube line after Bennett had been sidelined as a depth winger for years.

And yet he was an utter disaster outside of the play-in series vs Winnipeg. So bad that I was compelled to write an essay on it.
He also coached the Sens to league-worst special teams, so maybe the successes could be more attributed to whoever his boss was at the time.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Ward was (a) thrust into a situation with Peters that was pretty much no-win. Then his non interim HC gig was with a short season with a tiny training camp with a very weird and compressed schedule. Not ideal for a guy with no HC credentials.

Most great HCs have had a few years that look pretty near incompetent when taken in isolation. Whether that’s the story with Ward, I dunno. I don’t think he’s some genius. But it wasn’t exactly a traditional “grow into the position” scenario.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #150
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I still think Ward was (a) thrust into a situation with Peters that was pretty much no-win. Then his non interim HC gig was with a short season with a tiny training camp with a very weird and compressed schedule. Not ideal for a guy with no HC credentials.

Most great HCs have had a few years that look pretty near incompetent when taken in isolation. Whether that’s the story with Ward, I dunno. I don’t think he’s some genius. But it wasn’t exactly a traditional “grow into the position” scenario.
That's fair. I'm curious if Dallas Eakins has developed into a good coach. I guess we'll find out when the Ducks have finished rebuilding their core.

It's funny how the Ducks essentially hired Darryl to coach their coach.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #151
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Soccer talk should be an automatic suspension.
I thought Ted Lasso changed that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #152
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

He was in a no-win situation, sadly. Glad to see he got another gig right away though.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #153
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Something I’ve noticed with the flames this year is that they seem to do everything with more purpose.

A great example is dumping the puck in. For years, it’s felt like the team dumped the puck in simply because they had no other option and it was better than giving the puck up. Now, when the flames dump the puck in it’s with the purpose of getting the zone and getting possession.

It’s not like they exclusively dump the puck in… in fact, they seem to carry the puck across the opposing blue line more than ever. But when they do dump it in, the team is moving forward with speed more often so that they have a good chance of gaining possession from it or they are pressuring the defence of the other team almost immediately to cause a turnover. It works so much better than simply having an offensive attack that almost exclusively works on carrying the puck into the zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #154
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many coaches have we had that talked about the team playing as a 5 man unit on the ice? All moving together and working together etc?

Even Brent Sutter talked about a "wolf pack" IIRC.

This team is actually doing it now under Darryl. They look so connected out there. A master at getting his message across to the players and then motivating/teaching them to do it properly.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #155
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm feeling really good about the Flames now, I'm just excited that their winning and playing so good! I could care less if they get Eichel at this point, and am just enjoying the current success

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #156
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Flames don't overplay Markstrom.
It seems like it could be easy to fall into that trap.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #157
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m loving this roll the Flames are on but wonder how they will respond when they face adversity such as an early 2 goal deficit against a good team. Will they stick with this system of low event hockey and potentially still lose by 1, or will guys start cheating to get the goals back but end up getting scored on in the process. I’m pumped that our lines are bringing balanced scoring, but when we need the goals will it continue? I sincerely hope our PP1 can settle into a consistent threat as it would go a long way to help in the scenarios I mentioned above.
As the thread topic asks, I’m cautiously optimistic the Flames are actually going to be a top tier team this season and may have the depth within the organization to sustain some success in the playoffs.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #158
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I'm feeling really good about the Flames now, I'm just excited that their winning and playing so good! I could care less if they get Eichel at this point, and am just enjoying the current success
Sutter talked during training camp about Vladar needing to be ready to play lots of games, and so far he has played 2/8 and won both. I don't think this should be a concern until something changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #159
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Sutter talked during training camp about Vladar needing to be ready to play lots of games, and so far he has played 2/8 and won both. I don't think this should be a concern until something changes.

It was already pretty gutsy to start Vladar after Markstrom had a shutout. It paid off.
Could be a good sign.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #160
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Something I’ve noticed with the flames this year is that they seem to do everything with more purpose.

A great example is dumping the puck in. For years, it’s felt like the team dumped the puck in simply because they had no other option and it was better than giving the puck up. Now, when the flames dump the puck in it’s with the purpose of getting the zone and getting possession.

It’s not like they exclusively dump the puck in… in fact, they seem to carry the puck across the opposing blue line more than ever. But when they do dump it in, the team is moving forward with speed more often so that they have a good chance of gaining possession from it or they are pressuring the defence of the other team almost immediately to cause a turnover. It works so much better than simply having an offensive attack that almost exclusively works on carrying the puck into the zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. I said when everyone was complaining about dump and chase that Tampa Bay was using it a lot with great effectiveness, because they were executing it well.

Most systems work if they are done with purpose and executed properly. Sutter's power is getting his players to do what he wants. I mean, I doubt other coaches were telling the Flames not to transition and move the puck up quickly. But somehow they failed to convince them to do it whereas Sutter succeeds. I don't know how he does it but he does.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote