Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers Abbotsford Heat Turtle Club Award

Alright, this may not be very interesting to those of you who live in Calgary or attend lots of Flames games, but this is a pretty interesting new tradition in Abbotsford.

A few of the fans here in Abbotsford have started a new tradition called the Turtle Club Award. The way it works is that every time an opposing player "turtles" in a fight against one of our players (which seems to happen a lot), he will be forever called a turtle. So, whenever he touches the puck we chant "TURTLE!!"

The Turtle Club Award website has been started here: http://abbyheat.blogspot.com/p/turtle-page.html

I know this isn't huge news, but for a new team trying to build a fan base, this is a good start for developing some kind of tradition (i.e. The C of Red).

edit: Just so everyone knows, I DID NOT create this site.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 11-17-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that the inspiration for your avatar then?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was reading the article on your site about fan support and how the Canucks fans won't support the Heat because they're affiliated with the Flames. I wonder though do they come to the games when the Heat play the Moose, to support the Moose?

I also wonder how the Moose's attendance would be affected by NHL hockey returning to Winnepeg? Simply from the stand point that old school Jets fans wouldn't support a Canucks affiliate..
Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I was reading the article on your site about fan support and how the Canucks fans won't support the Heat because they're affiliated with the Flames. I wonder though do they come to the games when the Heat play the Moose, to support the Moose?

I also wonder how the Moose's attendance would be affected by NHL hockey returning to Winnepeg? Simply from the stand point that old school Jets fans wouldn't support a Canucks affiliate..

NHL hockey returns to Winnipeg the Moose are extinct.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post

With all the Junior hockey in the area, and being the Flames farm team, and the team drawing horribly, the taxpayers should be fed up with paying for a team that has no following.

This isn't a jab from a former QC fan at all, but I think this experiment was a bad idea. Not from the attendance but the travel involved with them.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
With all the Junior hockey in the area, and being the Flames farm team, and the team drawing horribly, the taxpayers should be fed up with paying for a team that has no following.

This isn't a jab from a former QC fan at all, but I think this experiment was a bad idea. Not from the attendance but the travel involved with them.
They've signed a ten year deal with Abby, so even if they got rid of the team before the contract was up (which isn't likely), they would still be on the hook for 7 more years.

I'm a hardcore Flames fan living in Abbotsford (about 3 blocks from the arena) so I'm juicing the fact that they are here in Abby for all its worth because I know, unless they win a Calder Cup, they will likely be gone after the contract is up.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
They've signed a ten year deal with Abby, so even if they got rid of the team before the contract was up (which isn't likely), they would still be on the hook for 7 more years.

I'm a hardcore Flames fan living in Abbotsford (about 3 blocks from the arena) so I'm juicing the fact that they are here in Abby for all its worth because I know, unless they win a Calder Cup, they will likely be gone after the contract is up.
Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a shot across the bow at all. I wished like hell that we had better attendance to keep the team and I hope that Abby does too.

But don't forget contracts are made to be broken, QC and Omaha had contracts that were broken.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like the idea, but the website reads like a bad Google translate job of a russian website

Quote:
For new turtles to be added the crowd at a HEAT home game must recognize the turtle.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no part in creating this site. I don't know who did, but I know it is pretty badly put together.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Good God that site is hard on the eyes. Probably doesn't help that he's trying to host a website on blogspot.

Looks like HeatFan63 from HF put the site together.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=824625

Despite the website somebody should coax him over here so that he can share his Heat knowledge with the rest of us in the prospects forum.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote