Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I hated my nest also it was annoying I sold it and got an ecobee but I dont really use any of the features on it
I tell everyone the point of a smart thermostat is not the money savings. It's worth every penny not having to get out of the warm bed to adjust temps and just be able to adjust the temp from your bed via phone.

If there's a cost savings and features benefit, that's just pure bonus.

Other than the auto learn schedule, I didn't notice any annoying features? I mean the auto learn always just wants to turn down the temps constantly and never run AC or HVAC. The Algorithm is stupid.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #22
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like the Nest we picked up will be going on sale for $249 for Black Friday and we can get it price adjusted, so from a regular price of $329 - $80 - 17.5% because we were able to buy it from Canadian Tire with an employee discount, then - $75 for the rebate means we’ll pay around $130 before tax. Not too shabby in the end, even if it’s not perfect.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #23
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The Nest has sensors now which might negate the difference slightly, but to me, they seem really rudimentary vs the Ecobee sensors. What are your opinions on how well the sensors work for the Nest and what differences between the Nest and Ecobee were the most jarring to you?

I've also heard complaints vice versa Ecobee and Nest about interfaces. Do you have a down and dirty pros and cons about each? I have tried to read up on the differences and many of the explanations aren't super helpful IMO as it seems obvious that many individuals are often parroting things they hear rather than discuss actual practical things they know about the units.

I just sent in my application for the rebate. Now to wait 6-8 weeks.

If I had to give a summary about interfaces, I would say the Nest was like iOS and the ecobee is like Android. There was way more I could control with the Ecobee, the interface had more data. I appreciate both of them, they both operate on their apps similar to the device so they're familiar. Each are responsive, each just seemed to work.

I have submitted to them a few times to have custom scheduling, I can't for the life of me figure out why thermostats stick to 5+2 or whatever. Why can't I just input what I want over a number of days and have that repeat. Its a completely useless feature to have the scheduling and preheating and whatnot when I follow a 4 on 4 off schedule. I was told it would be sent to development to look at but that was years ago.

I do like that I can add programs in addition to "home" and "away" that I can activate a specific set of events with that button.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #24
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone who purchased near the deadline received an email confirmation and/or their rebate cheque yet?

I haven't received either. I called in last week because I didn't get an email like the first time I applied for the rebate and the person I spoke to said it had been approved within a week of my submission, so to keep an eye out for the cheque as it is around the time that the cheque should be showing up.

I took my sweet time to submit though and submitted on Nov 20, so I expected the rebate to show up closer to mid January.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #25
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I submitted my receipts a few days before the ending of the deadline and got my cheque in the mail last week.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #26
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Has anyone who purchased near the deadline received an email confirmation and/or their rebate cheque yet?

I haven't received either. I called in last week because I didn't get an email like the first time I applied for the rebate and the person I spoke to said it had been approved within a week of my submission, so to keep an eye out for the cheque as it is around the time that the cheque should be showing up.

I took my sweet time to submit though and submitted on Nov 20, so I expected the rebate to show up closer to mid January.
I submitted on November 21st. Haven’t received anything yet. Been checking my email, spam, and actual mailbox every day. Now you’ve got me thinking that maybe I should be calling them.

I gave them a call back in early December and they seemed a little annoyed that I called so soon after my application, so I resigned myself to waiting. Would you be able tell me what number you called to get that info?
Old 01-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I submitted my receipts a few days before the ending of the deadline and got my cheque in the mail last week.
Did you get a rebate approval email after the submission approval? I feel like they didn't send the rebate approval emails this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
I submitted on November 21st. Haven’t received anything yet. Been checking my email, spam, and actual mailbox every day. Now you’ve got me thinking that maybe I should be calling them.

I gave them a call back in early December and they seemed a little annoyed that I called so soon after my application, so I resigned myself to waiting. Would you be able tell me what number you called to get that info?
It was some phone number at the bottom of the website. I ended up with the wrong department anyways and they just transferred me without too much hassle.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #28
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

had to go back and check.
submitted application on Nov 6
got my confirmation on Dec 20
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #29
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I gave them a call this morning. I was approved on the 6th of December, but they said it could take until early February to get the cheque. Seems like they have a pretty extreme amount of variability in cheque delivery times, but I don’t really care too much. Just good to know it was approved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it seems like bossy got an email confirmation that the cheque was on the way. Aegypticus and I did not. I wonder if individuals who submitted application after a certain date (ie: Nov 15 or something) but within the December 31st deadline or whatever it was, didn't get a approval confirmation email because some type of automated system was shut down prematurely or something?

I think the person I spoke with last week said mid to late January. So if Aegypticus is being quoted early February and he filed a day later than I... these people are inefficient! JK JK.

But I guess I should just be happy the cheque is on its way. Nice to get a rebate on something I was going to buy regardless.

I did kinda tinker around with my original order to get a better deal on the Nest (Black Friday pricing) and get the Nest I actually wanted (I wanted the copper over stainless steel which wasn't available when I first ordered). It's a little bit of a grey area, but ultimately, I did acquire a brand new Nest to use in my home, so I can still sleep easy at night.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #31
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I gave them a call this morning. I was approved on the 6th of December, but they said it could take until early February to get the cheque. Seems like they have a pretty extreme amount of variability in cheque delivery times, but I don’t really care too much. Just good to know it was approved.
Called today and they told me the same dates, approved Dec 6th, could take 6 or more weeks to get a cheque. I had to resend the receipt in November so that will be about 2.5 months to get a cheque out. Running like a typical government program.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #32
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got my approval email today. Says in there that it’ll still be 6-8 weeks before I get the cheque. I hope that’s a mistake and they just delayed sending out the emails for nearly 2 months for some reason.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #33
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got my approval email today. Says in there that it’ll still be 6-8 weeks before I get the cheque. I hope that’s a mistake and they just delayed sending out the emails for nearly 2 months for some reason.
I got the same email.

Hopefully it's not another 6-8 weeks and the cheque is on the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #34
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So for some clarification, the nest you guys ended up getting was the E right, not the gen 3 (if I'm reading the website right)? I have an ecobee 3 that I'm wanting to change for a nest gen 3 just for integration sake and I want to make sure I didn't really miss anything
Old 02-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #35
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
So for some clarification, the nest you guys ended up getting was the E right, not the gen 3 (if I'm reading the website right)? I have an ecobee 3 that I'm wanting to change for a nest gen 3 just for integration sake and I want to make sure I didn't really miss anything
I bought a pair of gen 3 nests. Interface wise it looks the same as my Gen 2 nest. I think the main difference is slight under the hood differences integration stuff?

Nest E is the limited function version. I guess I realize that my Nest is overkill right now since my new home is just a basic old school furnace that I can't even control the fan on. My Gen 2 I had HE furnace, AC and humidifier all hooked up.

I am unsure of what the differences between Nest gen 3 vs Ecobee is though.

https://smartrobotichome.com/nest-ge...he_Differences

Quote:
Nest 3 has a higher resolution screen than the Nest 2.
The Nest gen 2 does not support Bluetooth or WiFi 5Ghz; Nest gen 3 supports both.
Nest 3rd generation has safety alerts and Farsight; Nest 2nd generation does not.
Nest 3 has five more sensors than the Nest 2.
“Furnace Heads Up” (see below for details) is installed for Nest gen 3 by default, not in Nest gen 2.
Nest 3 is compatible with the Remote Sensor accessory, Nest 2 is not
Old 02-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #36
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My rebate cheque came in this afternoon. I'm guessing the rest of you guys will start getting them too.