Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #141
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you have a PC I find one of the best racing sims out there that has serious drivers is iracing.

I dont really have a fancy sim rig, just a wooden one I built. Nothing to write home about. I just use a G27 steering wheel. Does the job for me, enough to burn time and practice.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #142
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I use a g29. It’s awesome. I have project cars 1/2, assetto corsa and F1.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #143
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Nice. Mind sharing exactly what equipment you got? I'm thinking of doing the same myself.
I got the Fanatec CSL pedals, wheel base, clubsport f1 wheel from Simulation1 in Ontario. Good to deal with...would've got seat from them, but shipping kills them. Was bit cheaper and free shipping with Staples.

Refurb PS4 from BestBuy and NextLevel GT V2 seat from Staples.
FLAMESRULE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #144
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any PC guys? Do I smell a CP grand prix coming?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #145
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Any PC guys? Do I smell a CP grand prix coming?
If this is happening you'll have to stream it.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #146
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was thinking we could! Im such a noob tho I'd have no idea how to get started. Half my gear showed up today...hopefully the rest tomorrow/Wednesday. I've got a buddy who is Instagramming live his daily races, kind of fun actually!
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #147
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I got the rig setup...not too hard. Little awkward getting it all adjusted, but it works well. Have to sort out a little too much flex in the wheel base.

Just figuring my way through a PS4 and F1 2019 and getting a feel for the wheel and pedals. The braking is the tougher one to gauge. But holy crap is it fun. Wifey did some Bahrain F2 practice runs and was just squealing for 25min.

Since there is no F1 yet...any one else have some tips on F1 2019?? Thinking about getting Gran Turismo as well...but want to learn F1 first.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and employed!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #148
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have both F1 2019 and GT sport, I get a lot more hours out of GT sport. F1 is great for campaign but the game is unplayable for online, while GT sport has an awesome online system with different championships going on all the time as well as daily races.

I say it’s a good call to learn on F1, do a season of the career mode and then dive into GT sport once you are comfortable with the rig. I’m unfortunately still just on game pad

When you do get gt sport add me jklupul
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #149
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

With no sports this will have to do. 6 out 16? Races so far? You got a favorite team? Taking bets?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #150
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll cheer for the Haas marble
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #151
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have Project Cars on the PS4. Career mode is pretty good. I followed the single seater path so started with Formula Rookie (Formula 1600), then Formula C (F3), Formula B (F2), and now I’m in Formula A, which is their version of F1.

No driver aids and 70% race distance. Each race is around one hour long on that setting.

I spend about an hour before each race practising on the track and working on car setup, which is the only way to be competitive. Things like tire temperature / brake temperature / fuel loads all play a part in how the car handles.

Today is Monaco!!

And for relaxation I’ll hop in a GT car and do some laps on the Nordschleife.
(I actually used this game to learn the track prior to going out there for real in 2018 to drive on that legendary circuit. Put it on your bucket list!!)
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #152
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this is the F1 discussion but since you guys are talking about iracing I have to say that iracing, Nascar and Fox have done a great job of broadcasting their new racing format with their drivers and crew. It is pretty cool.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #153
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Indy car had a virtual race yesterday too at Watkins Glen on iracing. It’s free on YouTube. Regular pbp guys. Tracy and the other guys.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #154
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a quick question for everyone here who plays the F1 game. Is it worth it to get a wheel/pedal setup? Pricing things out I found a refurbished G29 wheel/pedal for $300 and the it looks like another $200 or so for a stand. So whoever has played with both just a controller setup vs upgrading to a wheel do you think it's worth it? Thanks!
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:35 PM   #155
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Stand is important. Need to be able to use it properly.

If you only ever race 5 lap races and are more of an arcade player, controller is probably fine. Wheel makes it so much easier to drive distance. Plus you get so much more accuracy and control. Makes cockpit driving quite fun.

Controllers and racing games used to make my hands sore and felt like a video game. Racing with a wheel and it’s engrossing. I race half distance only to realize 45 mins has passed and I’m sweating (I keep my wheel resistance med/high). It’s a different experience. I also sit like 5 feet from a 55” tv.

@Flamesrule

I’d recommend a site like this for setups and ideas.

https://www.f1carsetup.com/index.php...m-codemasters/

I use medium traction control or it feels like driving on ice. Otherwise F1 is relatively easy to get into. Unlike some of the other racing games, the settings are all fairly easy to learn and you’ll be able to figure out what race distance, weekend format, car setups, difficulty etc You prefer with ease.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #156
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

So for those of you with racing wheel set ups - is there any cost efficient way to get into a racing wheel or is not worth it unless you spend the money?

Like is one of the lower end ones a huge upgrade over controller racing, or is one of those "spend the money or don't bother" situations?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #157
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Well first off, I’d be weary of compatibility. PS4 wheels only work with PS4/ps3. Xbox wheels only work with Xbox. No idea if they’ll be compatible with the new gen systems coming out.

You don’t have to buy the T300 or G29 ($300-400 I think). Both include wheel w/ paddle shifters and pedals. But I personally wouldn’t recommend buying the lowest end model. I think there’s an in between thrustmaster that’s not bad. Depends on whether that’s cost efficient. You’d have to check pricing.

You definitely don’t need anything super fancy. Some set ups can get crazy expensive.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #158
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Was hoping to spend $200 all in. If it needs to be higher than that I'll stick with the controller. Also, you answered one fear of mine - PS4 wheels not being compatible with PS5.

I plan to buy a PS5 on launch day so I would drop more on a wheel if I knew I could use it with PS5, but no chance I'm spending 3-400 if there's a chance it's done for me in 8 months.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #159
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a wheel that works with PS4 and PC (and XBOX) but it doesn't have force feedback, just rumble.

A stand isn't necessary if you have a desk or something similar to clamp the wheel to, I've even used a side table in the past. Im actually using a padded laptop tray and it works well enough for as much as I play GT now - my wheel has suction cups and clamps.

It's way better than a controller, even the cheaper one I have. Flashfire 4-in-1 or something. I was so pissed off that my G27 wasn't PS4 compatible I took this gen of wheels off.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #160
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made my own, just did something like this with a seat I got from pick n pull, like a cavalier or sunfire or something.

Last edited by btimbit; 04-06-2020 at 08:28 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote