Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #1081
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright so. Further testing shows that...

On wireless, even a good wireless, the Vizios wireless card doesn't handle data well enough for a large 4k HDR movie for plex. But it does ok on netflix streaming. I can watch the highest quality content with dolbyvision and it works perfect.

On wired connection, I can get plex movies to work if the movie file is no more than, say, 60 gig.

*shrug*
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #1082
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Alright so. Further testing shows that...

On wireless, even a good wireless, the Vizios wireless card doesn't handle data well enough for a large 4k HDR movie for plex. But it does ok on netflix streaming. I can watch the highest quality content with dolbyvision and it works perfect.

On wired connection, I can get plex movies to work if the movie file is no more than, say, 60 gig.

*shrug*
It works on other devices Plex app? I use Apple TV’s and one fire stick without issue but on my P series Vizio I was watching a lot of 4K remux streams from Plex when Apple TV went through there brightness issues in iOS 12 without issue.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #1083
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
It works on other devices Plex app? I use Apple TV’s and one fire stick without issue but on my P series Vizio I was watching a lot of 4K remux streams from Plex when Apple TV went through there brightness issues in iOS 12 without issue.
Yeah I think the vizio plex app combined with the TV's not so great network handling is the issue. I'm going to have to get creative on getting a cable across the room, or flip my room around, or, just play movies in non 4k which.. sucks for a 65" tv.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #1084
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK so using my Orbi satellite I was able to get a good signal that works by say of ethernet. This causes a secondary issue though, in that when someones in the basement it tries to connect to the satellite not the main router and really makes the wireless bad.

Soooo. I can either turn this thing on and off whenever I use plex, which is not a huge deal i guess, or, more ideally, I can disable the wifi on the orbi satellite which requires telnet which I dont know how to do, or,

Is there such a device that receives a wifi signal and all it does is convert it to ethernet out?
Old 03-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #1085
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something like this would do it:

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...#tab-techspecs
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #1086
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd want it to not extend the wifi tho. Just an ethernet plug.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #1087
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it's a wifi bridge so it should receive the wifi, and output wifi AND ethernet. I've got one, but never tested the ethernet, but it should work.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #1088
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, it's a wifi bridge so it should receive the wifi, and output wifi AND ethernet. I've got one, but never tested the ethernet, but it should work.
I just want ethernet tho. No wifi.

At bb buying a powerline adapter.

Well. As much as I don't love powerlines. This seems to work.

Last edited by White Out 403; 03-01-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #1089
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you did say this...

Quote:
Is there such a device that receives a wifi signal and all it does is convert it to ethernet out?

I'm not sure you can disable the wifi repeat portion, though you probably can. If not you can blackhole it to another SSID so no devices auto connect.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #1090
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Well you did say this...

I'm not sure you can disable the wifi repeat portion, though you probably can. If not you can blackhole it to another SSID so no devices auto connect.
The key word being all, but, this powerline seems to do the trick really well.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #1091
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So it works really well. But I went and checked and did more testing and it looks like it's just the plex app on Vizio that's causing an issue. Wireless I was able to stream Dolby Vision 4k on the native netflix app.

So the question now is, do I want to have a 90 dollar device for use only with plex. Lame.
Didn't realize you were using Plex. Yes, Vizio tvs have bad app performance across the board IMO, also they are monitoring the content you watch.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #1092
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I added a switch to the powerline so now I have my xbox and tv hooked up by ethernet. works fantastic... kinda wish I thought of this earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #1093
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a regular Apple TV 3rd gen, which basically has Netlfix, Crave, and Youtube. Will I get a lot more content if I moved to a new Apple TV? Like is CBC Gem and Kanopy, etc. supported?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #1094
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have a regular Apple TV 3rd gen, which basically has Netlfix, Crave, and Youtube. Will I get a lot more content if I moved to a new Apple TV? Like is CBC Gem and Kanopy, etc. supported?
Yes. Basically any media app on iPhone or iPad is on Apple TV as well.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #1095
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking to cut the cord. Can anyone tell me exactly what to buy to get the 6 OTA channels to 3, 4 or even 5 of the TV's in my house? Do I need an antenna for each TV or can I get one and a splitter? What antenna and splitter do you recommend? Is there a store that can help me? Thanks!
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #1096
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Looking to cut the cord. Can anyone tell me exactly what to buy to get the 6 OTA channels to 3, 4 or even 5 of the TV's in my house? Do I need an antenna for each TV or can I get one and a splitter? What antenna and splitter do you recommend? Is there a store that can help me? Thanks!
Since I was no longer using the coax that was already running through the house, i put in an antenna in my attic and connected it to the splitter that had previously been used for the cable connection.

I got something extremely cheap for a whopping 12 bucks at amazon and it works great. We live in the suburbs and Tulsa is pretty flat so it gets all the channels that are out there.

All my TVs had a coax connection and because I used the existing splitter and coax lines from the cable installation, the only cost was the antenna.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #1097
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
What antenna and splitter do you recommend?
Biggest question is where you are in the city. Close to the transmitters, you may not need much. However, if you have Nose Hill between you and the transmitters, you may need something excessive.

I've tested this one out in Copperfield, and works great on all 6 channels:
https://www.primecables.ca/p-356275-...or-both-vhfuhf
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #1098
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

This pandemic has really proved to me that without sports, I would never watch cable.

I dropped the sports channels for A&E and some other crap when everything shut down... and now I haven't watched any traditional cable TV since then. Now it's all Netflix and Crave.

To be fair, I did watch local news on cable for a few weeks in March when I was suddenly home all the time.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #1099
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
This pandemic has really proved to me that without sports, I would never watch cable.

I dropped the sports channels for A&E and some other crap when everything shut down... and now I haven't watched any traditional cable TV since then. Now it's all Netflix and Crave.

To be fair, I did watch local news on cable for a few weeks in March when I was suddenly home all the time.
Yeah it was the 2005 NHL lockout where i realized i had no need for cable anymore. Haven’t missed it for a moment since.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #1100
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will get the sports channels again soon- obviously. But when my current contract runs out I will drop TV and just sign up directly through Sportsnet if I want to keep watching hockey.