Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #81
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Totally agree that a game breaking C is what the Flames desperately need to give us the best chance of building an eventual contender, all top teams have that piece.

But for every Olli Juolevi that teams whiff on in the top 10.. there's guys like Sergachev, Makar, McCavoy, Byram, Hughes, Dobson, Heiskenen etc. More 1st round picks should be the goal. We can't be envious of teams with top dynamic D and then not take our opportunity to draft one if we get the chance.

It feels like we have a log jam of middle 6 forwards and 2nd/3rd pair D. If we pick in the top 5 or 10 just draft someone with top line/pair potential please.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM   #82
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
* Zary was asked about his productive start and said he’s been playing W this year
Yes I know, but he still ranks as our top C prospect. The fact that he is currently playing W only enhances the point.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #83
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Next few drafts have to focus on kids at C/D with high end potential. Can't afford to keep neglecting the most important positions.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:14 AM   #84
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

James Hagens has 11 points in 6 USHL games as a 16 year old (though he's almost 17). He had 40 points in 31 games last year. Currently playing wither Eiserman. It looks like Hagens might be a top 1-5 pick in the 2025 draft.

The difference is that Eiserman is the largest forward who is currently projected to go in the top 10, whereas Hagens will likely be the smallest.

The 2024 draft is looking tiny as far as elite forwards go, but there are a lot of promising defensemen with size.
The draft is practically the Tampa Bay Lightning as a bunch of kids.

For those who are upset about the Flames' position in the standings, try running the Tankathon Draft.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 10:37 AM   #85
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
James Hagens has 11 points in 6 USHL games as a 16 year old (though he's almost 17). He had 40 points in 31 games last year. Currently playing wither Eiserman. It looks like Hagens might be a top 1-5 pick in the 2025 draft.

The difference is that Eiserman is the largest forward who is currently projected to go in the top 10, whereas Hagens will likely be the smallest.

The 2024 draft is looking tiny as far as elite forwards go, but there are a lot of promising defensemen with size.

For those who are upset about the Flames' position in the standings, try running the Tankathon Draft.
Lol total anecdotal- but I ran that sim 10 times. Flames won once and were bumped back in order 8 times. The f'ing oilers won the lottery three times.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #86
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol total anecdotal- but I ran that sim 10 times. Flames won once and were bumped back in order 8 times. The f'ing oilers won the lottery three times.
My first time they won the lottery.
So I stopped there and didn't try again.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #87
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for the Flames to walk out of this draft with Celebrini and Tij.

We’re due.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #88
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Corey Pronman's November 1 rankings:

https://theathletic.com/5014514/2023...son-celebrini/

He has Celebrini above everyone else, then Silayev and Eiserman in tier 2. Levshunov, Demidov and Yakemchuk in tier 3. Catton, Jiricek and Dickinson in tier 4.
I’d take Celebrimbor at #1
Old 11-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #89
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
There's probably a lesson in optimism here somewhere, but as usual it is going to elude me.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM   #90
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Ran this 6 times.
Coilers went up to 1st once.
Calgary went up to 1st three times.
The other two times Calgary remained at 2nd OA.

I like those odds.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:32 AM   #91
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cayden Lindstrom is huge though. Pronman has him at 10, most other lists have him more around 15 ... so, perfect for the Flames after they go on a winning streak in March/April when the pressure is off.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:33 AM   #92
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Best case scenario for this season is a top-3 pick and we are right on track 10 games in. Please Flames, don't change a thing. Celebrini and Eiserman both look like gamebreakers, Demidov too. Then there's a bunch of great defensemen in the 1st round, in the top-10 especially.

Would love to see us make trades for more 1st's with teams in the East that have no guarantee's of playoffs, like a Buffalo trade for Hanifin/Vladar, or even better a Washington or Columbus trade for Lindholm.

I'm also in the same boat as others who have said they would prefer trading these guys earlier in the season. Gives teams more time to get their new players adjusted to the team, and also gives us less risk of injuries screwing things up, and more things to be excited about all season with those early returns (hopefully picks+).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:51 AM   #93
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Best case scenario for this season is a top-3 pick and we are right on track 10 games in. Please Flames, don't change a thing. Celebrini and Eiserman both look like gamebreakers, Demidov too. Then there's a bunch of great defensemen in the 1st round, in the top-10 especially.

Would love to see us make trades for more 1st's with teams in the East that have no guarantee's of playoffs, like a Buffalo trade for Hanifin/Vladar, or even better a Washington or Columbus trade for Lindholm.

I'm also in the same boat as others who have said they would prefer trading these guys earlier in the season. Gives teams more time to get their new players adjusted to the team, and also gives us less risk of injuries screwing things up, and more things to be excited about all season with those early returns (hopefully picks+).
Oh I don’t give a flying farak about their new teams having success.

I only care about maximizing value.

They got lowballed in the summer - fine. Deadlines coming up, all the contenders are capped out.

We’ve got a top-6 C and a top-4 D who will be on essentially ELCs by the deadline.

To quote the late great Ray Liotta…

“#### you, pay me.”

They’ve gotta walk into the draft with at least 4 picks in to top 40, preferably with a top-3-at-worst first selection.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:46 PM   #94
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I’d take Celebrimbor at #1
He seems older than his age:

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #95
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
They’ve gotta walk into the draft with at least 4 picks in to top 40, preferably with a top-3-at-worst first selection.
yeah I think this a reasonable expectation (the "4 picks in the top 40" bit, not the top 3 selection ... I just don't see the Flames suck that hard in the long run). It obviously depends on the structure of the packages, but the returns for both Lindholm and Hanifin could easily both have a late 1st in there. Then there's Zadorov and Tanev for later picks too ... just stockpile picks in any way you can.

This team badly needs a ton of picks. Just look at the past three drafts and it's no wonder the prospect pool is shallow. In 2021, they chose not to sign four players, including two 3rds - and there's questions regarding Strömgrens potential too IMO. In 2022, they only made three picks ... and their top selection of that draft has rape allegations hanging over his head. 2023 was better, but even that is not a full draft class in terms of quantity. And they miss some future picks as well: no 5th or 7th in 2024, and depending on the outcome of the 238 Monahan conditions, they might give up another 4th in 2025.

Just stockpile picks. The draft is not a magic wand that will guarantee you success, but the more picks you have, the bigger chance you have to hit the jackpot.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 02:37 PM   #96
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
yeah I think this a reasonable expectation (the "4 picks in the top 40" bit, not the top 3 selection ... I just don't see the Flames suck that hard in the long run). It obviously depends on the structure of the packages, but the returns for both Lindholm and Hanifin could easily both have a late 1st in there. Then there's Zadorov and Tanev for later picks too ... just stockpile picks in any way you can.

This team badly needs a ton of picks. Just look at the past three drafts and it's no wonder the prospect pool is shallow. In 2021, they chose not to sign four players, including two 3rds - and there's questions regarding Strömgrens potential too IMO. In 2022, they only made three picks ... and their top selection of that draft has rape allegations hanging over his head. 2023 was better, but even that is not a full draft class in terms of quantity. And they miss some future picks as well: no 5th or 7th in 2024, and depending on the outcome of the 238 Monahan conditions, they might give up another 4th in 2025.

Just stockpile picks. The draft is not a magic wand that will guarantee you success, but the more picks you have, the bigger chance you have to hit the jackpot.
For the first time in a long while, I disagree that they’re not going to be “that” Bad.

This group with Gaudreau and Tkachuk would be good.

But as currently constructed?

They are slow.

They are old.

They can’t score.

They don’t know each other, and to the extent that they do, they don’t like each other (at least, they don’t like each other enough).

Lindholm and Hanifin like it here so little they turned down $72M and $60M to stay here.

They are soft.

They don’t defend well.

Their most explosive player is, apparently, Conor Zary.

They have a goalie who gives them a chance every night, but it doesn’t matter because at the end of the day, they don’t have the horses.

The kids they bring up from the farm won’t be good enough defensively, so even if they start scoring more goals, they’re still not going to prevent many, because as already mentioned, they don’t defend well.

And all of that is okay. Preferred, even.

Because whenever they trade Hanifin and Lindholm (and they will) this roster is going to be even further behind the 8-ball, and they’re already non-competitive.

Consider adding Markstrom to that list, as he will have value. Open up room to run with Wolf/Vladar.

Looking at our UFAs - Zadorov, Tanev, Greer… none of them need to be kept. Zadorov only to have a Russian regular who knows and likes the city. Plus, does fill a role.

But even an RFA like Dube - he’s 25. Do you want to commit five more years, or Six or worse, to Dillon Dube? A 0.43 PPG undersized middle six player whose best quality is he’s from around here?

Sell. Backlund can be captain of the ashes.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #97
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Same here lol.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:49 PM   #98
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames get a 1st overall he is going to Yakupov. I feel it in my bones lol. 6th overall worked out for them.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:30 PM   #99
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
If the Flames get a 1st overall he is going to Yakupov. I feel it in my bones lol. 6th overall worked out for them.
That would be on brand for sure, but Celebrini looks like the real deal. He just happens to have a name that sounds like a bust lol so I understand the skepticism! Especially as a Flames fan. Not that stats tell the whole story but here's Celebrini's numbers last year and so far this year:

2022-2023 Chicago Steel [USHL]
GP: 50
G: 46
A: 40

2023-2024 Boston Univ. [NCAA]
GP: 6
G: 8
A: 3

For a freshman Center to put up those kind of point totals so far is super impressive, will be interesting to see if he can keep that pace up for the entire season. Scouting reports are glowing about him being a game breaking Center as well, sounds like the no-brainer 1st overall pick to me. We have to be due for some lottery luck right? RIGHT?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 03:54 PM   #100
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It's important for the Oilers not to be in the mix for #1 OA. We have all seen this movie and know how it ends.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft