Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #301
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, Stroll probably could have been top 5 or 6 if not for his engine retirement.
Woulda coulda shoulda

What an entertaining race. Looked like Verstappen couldve easily won/challenged the Mercs with the strategy and their gearbox/sensor issue. No one would've had Ferrari P2 either. And what a thrill for Lando, great drive, some brave moves, and it paid off. Poor Albon...he clearly was past Hamilton and then got squeezed. Brazil was pretty close but this one was clearly Hamiltons fault. A weekend to forget for him. Latifi and Russell seemed to make the Williams respectable again. They were racing Haas and Alfa for most of the day with Russell having a strong performance...one more failure and Latifi couldve had a his first point.

So many failures...most blamed on the curbs. I find that hard to believe since I dont think the track changed them from last year and they even shaved them down Friday night. I think its a sensor mfg issue.

And WTF happened to KMag and Kimi?? Those were some odd failures, as it really looked like KMag had a brake disc explode at T3 like he did in Austin and Raikkonen simply his tire/wheel assembly fall off at T9.

I'm already looking forward to next weekend. I'll have the pick em results up tomorrow.

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 07-05-2020 at 03:38 PM.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #302
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was out camping in the backwoods this weekend but PVR'd the race and watched it last night. For my first ever race I watched I was thoroughly entertained! Don't have a true favourite yet but I'm thinking of getting behind Albon.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #303
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Was out camping in the backwoods this weekend but PVR'd the race and watched it last night. For my first ever race I watched I was thoroughly entertained! Don't have a true favourite yet but I'm thinking of getting behind Albon.
First ever race?! Awesome. This circuit has produced some great races in the last few years, and thanks to corona they're racing there again next week.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #304
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hamiltons kind of a Tool eh. Almost Identical move on Albon in Brazil, except I think Albon had him fully this time. If I'm Albon, I wait for a while and wreck Hamilton when it matter most for points that would clinch a title or something.

Glad to See McLaren getting back to proper form. Now for Williams.
I know it's in style to hate on Hamilton, but I don't think this one was as much on him as Brazil.

I watched it over a few times. I think it was telling that the on car view of Lewis showed he was turning his wheel pretty hard, and didn't let up or swerve left. So he didn't do it intentionally. Even if he let off the throttle I don't think it would have altered his trajectory, and you can't just turn in more if you have plotted that line at that speed.

I don't think Albon really should have been out there, but he was ahead so had the right to the space, and I'm not really against the penalty. But given Lewis was on the racing line, on a downhill corner I'm not sure how Albon expected that to play out. You can have the right to the space, but that doesn't mean its physically possible for the other driver to provide it. He'll learn.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-06-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #305
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I know it's in style to hate on Hamilton, but I don't think this one was as much on him as Brazil.

I watched it over a few times. I think it was telling that the on car view of Lewis showed he was turning his wheel pretty hard, and didn't let up or swerve left. So he didn't do it intentionally. Even if he let off the throttle I don't think it would have altered his trajectory, and you can't just turn in more if you have plotted that line at that speed.

I don't think Albon really should have been out there, but he was ahead so had the right to the space, and I'm not really against the penalty. But given Lewis was on the racing line, on a downhill corner I'm not sure how Albon expected that to play out. You can have the right to the space, but that doesn't mean its physically possible for the other driver to provide it. He'll learn.
I would have called this a racing incident. Hamilton was actually inside the racing line IMO - I think guys were usually getting onto the curb on that exit. Albon should chalk this up to a learning experience - he'll learn how to better pick his spots.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #306
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also propose that the curbs in Austria be named "A-10's" because they sound like the warthog gun, and do about as much damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #307
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright...the results are in! Fleuryisgod and Speede5 both managed 2 correct picks, with Fleuryisgod getting Bottas and Sainz right as well as Ocon in the top 10 to take a 1 point lead.

Cecil and Arsenal15 both had 1 right pick to tie for 3rd. The rest of us...ouch.

IronMaiden and FlamingHabs didnt get picks in.

As always, please let me know if you see a mistake. A quick "guide" to the results...each team has 4 boxes at bottom. Under drivers name, top box is "correct top 10 for that race" on top "total correct top 10 in BOLD below. Under the scoring section is "total points for correct slot" in BOLD with "number of correct slotted" below. These then roll up into the tables at the top.

Spoiler!

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 07-06-2020 at 11:51 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #308
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tip of the week. Never choose Riccardo to finish in the top 10.
Retirement fund tip of the year. Just bet Riccardo to never be classified for a race.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #309
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Tip of the week. Never choose Riccardo to finish in the top 10.
Retirement fund tip of the year. Just bet Riccardo to never be classified for a race.
I really hope that's a Renault problem and doesn't continue for him next year
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #310
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I dont hate on Hamilton. Just like Schumacher you gotta be a bit of a jerk when you're King. But he had a chance to lift off acceleration for a split second to avoid contact regardless of how hard his wheel is turned. And if it wasn't Hamiltons fault why did he get a 5 second penalty. Clearly the officials thought he was in the wrong as well.

Ah well, Albon looks like he's going to be a good one. The fact he can carry enough speed on the outside to even get into a passing position is a talent in of itself. And he's good at it. Take these early blunders and get that thick skin champs have.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #311
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont hate on Hamilton. Just like Schumacher you gotta be a bit of a jerk when you're King. But he had a chance to lift off acceleration for a split second to avoid contact regardless of how hard his wheel is turned. And if it wasn't Hamiltons fault why did he get a 5 second penalty. Clearly the officials thought he was in the wrong as well.

Ah well, Albon looks like he's going to be a good one. The fact he can carry enough speed on the outside to even get into a passing position is a talent in of itself. And he's good at it. Take these early blunders and get that thick skin champs have.
According to this he had no throttle input all the way around the corner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...incident_with/

Hamilton got a penalty because the rules were interpreted as written. But the reality is at that point there is very little that can be done to take a tighter line through the corner, other than anticipating before the corner he was going to lose, and backing off way before. But nobody wants to see a racing driver do that.

Quote:
Hamilton maintains that, unlike Brazil, this was a racing incident.

“First of all I have a huge amount of respect for Alex — he’s a super talented young man, I don’t have any bad blood or bad feelings towards him whatsoever,” the World Champ is quoted by Racer.

“In Brazil you saw I came straight to him, that was wholeheartedly my mistake and my problem and tried to face it with dignity.

“I think today was in my opinion a racing incident.

“He was on a much better tyre, I entered the corner, committed in blocking, but obviously I was defending the position.

“I took the corner as normal, I had quite a lot of lock on to get around the corner.

“The track drops away as you go through the corner so a lot of people understeer through there; however I didn’t get on the power, I needed to decrease my speed, and he jumped on the power.

“He still had like a car’s width to the left of him and ultimately we touched.
“I think it’s unfortunate that we collided — I wouldn’t want to ever collide with anybody.

“But I have to respect the decision the stewards did take because I don’t think you can say otherwise about it.

Hamilton revealed he has already apologized to Albon for the incident, but insists it was nothing more than a “racing” one.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...exander-albon/

He accepts the ruling, he wasn't pissy about anything, but thinks it was a racing incident, and I kind of have to agree because their really wasn't anything more he could have done. It was unfortunate, but I'd rather see hard racing and some of these things happen, than no contact races where everyone is overly cautious.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #312
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it sucks that it screwed Albon again, but other than that, I have no real issue with it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #313
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Alonso back to Renault in 2021.

https://racer.com/2020/07/07/alonso-...-with-renault/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #314
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

That leaves not a lot for Vettel.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #315
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We used to play Speed Circuit back in the 80s.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...formula-racing

Quote:
In 1971, John Reilly and Tom Divoll designed a racing game that relied purely on skill. Published by 3M, it was called Speed Circuit.
Championship Formula Racing is a redesign and reimagining of that game. While skill remains paramount in car design (where players build a car's attributes for the race--start speed, acceleration, deceleration, top speed, and tires) and in running the race, the game has changed to include rules for:
- new tracks (to allow a dozen cars to race competitively)
- drone cars to fill out a race field (up to 12 cars in a field now) which will race competitively
- historical racers
- rules for differing types of tires and pitting
- eliminate the need for a speed log, using a more modern system of record-keeping in its place

Formula D is a similar game that has the cool mechansim of different dice for each gear.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37904/formula-d

Quote:

Formula D is a high stakes Formula One type racing game where the players race simulated cars with the hope of crossing the finish line first. This is a re-release of Formula Dé with several changes from the original format. Whilst old tracks can be used with the updated Formula D rules, the new game features boards that have an F1 track and a Street Track on the other side. These street tracks each have a novel inclusion or two to add greater theme -

The game mechanisms are a simple race, get to the finish line first! However, players have to use a significant amount of planning, and rely on quite a bit of luck. Each player manages when to shift gears, with each gear providing a different speed. (For example, 4th gear is a die that rolls random numbers from 7 to 12 for spaces moved.) Each turn, players may move up one gear, stay in that gear, or move down gears. This forces players to match possible rolls with the optimum distance for that turn, and hopefully plan ahead.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 07-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #316
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alrighty...so I settled on a couple prizes. Since we can't attend races and we have 2 Canadians in F1 for the first time ever I thought it might be cool to look back on 1997. It's the only time a Canuck has won the F1 Championship and the career of Jacques Villeneuve. They all should come with a COA...just waiting for delivery.

There are 3 options...but only 2 will be chosen. I couldn't decide on which one to get (diecast or the hat). Sooo...whoever wins the pool will get their choice of Prize 1A or Prize 1B. The hat was more $$ just as an FYI.

I dont recall if we decided on who should get the prizes...but I was thinking...first overall in points gets their choice of Prize 1A or 1B and whoever has the most correct overall picks gets Prize 2.

And it should be noted...that you have to have paid the $10 to win a prize.

Overall Winner 1A: Autographed JV 1997 Williams/Rothmans hat
Spoiler!

Overall Winner 1B: Autographed JV 2001 BAR Honda diecast
Spoiler!

Most Correct 2: Autographed 1/8 scale 1995 helmet
Spoiler!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #317
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That leaves not a lot for Vettel.
I'll take Alonso over Vettel in F1 any day.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #318
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll take Alonso over Vettel in F1 any day.
I like Alonso more too. I know Vettel is primed for Bottas' seat but if that doesnt materialize, he's not going to be near a top 4 team next year. He will be left With Haas and maybe Williams.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #319
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I like Alonso more too. I know Vettel is primed for Bottas' seat but if that doesnt materialize, he's not going to be near a top 4 team next year. He will be left With Haas and maybe Williams.
Vettel will likely retire. Can’t see him trying to hang in the show like Alonso.

If Mercedes moves on from Bottas you have to think Russell slides in there.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #320
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
That's the first I've heard of Vettell being primed for a Mercedes seat, and really doesn't seem all that practical for the best team in F1. Why would they go that route over a young, promising driver for the future?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote