Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #3401
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
That's a long read. I'll dive into that later because it looks interesting. My skimming leads me to believe: CSA and CanPL are just convenient scapegoats, but we all knew that anyway.
Well, here's the text is related specifically to the Fury. The overall Landsdowne and Osec situation is part of the bigger read, but the soccer side was very small as the issue there.

Ottawa in the running back when for an MLS franchise seems putting a cart before a horse,but that was Meylnk's idea.

But throughout 2019, the USL’s governing body — the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, one of six FIFA fiefdoms — had been pushing the Fury to join the fledgling Canadian Premier League.

The Fury resisted, reckoning its value there would plummet to little more than C$1 million. Not only that, OSEG was concerned that the new Canadian League might not be around in a few years. CONCACAF forced the issue in November by depriving the Fury of its USL Championship credentials. OSEG balked at joining the Canadian league on such terms.

“The desire to join somebody who has issued you a ransom note was not particularly high,” Goudie said when he announced the suspension of the Fury’s operations.

Blame in the article goes soley on CONCACAF and the big bad ransom note provider CanPl. CSA not mentioned at all, because they avoided the Fury decision at all costs last year, forcing CONCACAF to have to make the decision on its own.

Bears repeating that Pugh, the Fury owner, is the only team owner in the CSA board.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #3402
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Article: "It's hard to operate pro sports teams in a city this size, without a helpful civic government."

Also article: "OSEG is or will be involved in running football, hockey, soccer, baseball, rugby and basketball teams in Ottawa."

It's pretty obvious the Fury won't be the only sports team leaving the city soon. Even if they manage to save the baseball team.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #3403
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those of you interested...Sergio Camargo is available for personalized video greetings on Cameo for $10USD.

I did it for my girlfriend who is a big Buscher fan... he even apologized/made a joke about not being Julien...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #3404
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206021268941574145

I'd like to see something like this for Spruce Meadows' new soccer stadium.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #3405
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1206021268941574145

I'd like to see something like this for Spruce Meadows' new soccer stadium.
Oh yeah, a body of standing water outdoors surrounded by horse manure and the usually unwashed public in a place where pools of water shouldnt be placed.

Oh yeah, no way this could end badly at all.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #3406
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206574833036750848

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #3407
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
It only makes sense to me. The days of outsourcing athlete development should be over.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #3408
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think that's a good thing. I would imagine that it would work alongside the CanPL in some capacity and wouldn't be a competitor. The more development options in Canada, the better for everyone. CanPL, MLS, Canadian players, CanMNT, etc.

Despite what some may hope/believe, I still don't think that promotion and relegation will be the result of this, and that's how it needs to be. We simply don't have the population and structure for pro/rel like other countries do. No owner would ever go near a CanPL team if they could lose everything after one bad season. I could, however, see successful tier 2 teams making a good argument for joining CanPL. Almost like a development incubator for clubs/markets as well as players.

I don't even think that the MLS would be able to handle promotion and relegation. I like the concept on other continents, but you can't even compare the depth of the English Football Association with the American soccer pyramid, and especially the Canadian one. And that's not even getting onto the topic of geography.

I know this wasn't intended to be a promotion/relegation discussion, but I saw a few comments on the Twitter thread that got me started. Tangent over.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #3409
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Despite what some may hope/believe, I still don't think that promotion and relegation will be the result of this, and that's how it needs to be. We simply don't have the population and structure for pro/rel like other countries do. No owner would ever go near a CanPL team if they could lose everything after one bad season. I could, however, see successful tier 2 teams making a good argument for joining CanPL. Almost like a development incubator for clubs/markets as well as players.
The FC Cincinnati story. I think it's a good case to make in Canadian pro soccer. If there is enough interest and fan base in the club itself, then it should be considered for a CPL franchise on its own, rather than a promotion/relegation.

That said, Div 2 teams could be a good place for a farm team system. IMO guys like Pepple and Loturi would have benefited from getting field time as starters. This would be a good way to build football interest in satellite communities with smaller populations (e.g. Red Deer, Lethbridge, Foothills FC) but still have them accessible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #3410
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The FC Cincinnati story. I think it's a good case to make in Canadian pro soccer. If there is enough interest and fan base in the club itself, then it should be considered for a CPL franchise on its own, rather than a promotion/relegation.

That said, Div 2 teams could be a good place for a farm team system. IMO guys like Pepple and Loturi would have benefited from getting field time as starters. This would be a good way to build football interest in satellite communities with smaller populations (e.g. Red Deer, Lethbridge, Foothills FC) but still have them accessible.

A part of the issue with growing the pro game in places like AB is that interest in the sport is very centralized. Soccer registration numbers help to identify which cities would have the best support.

https://albertasoccer.com/wp-content...rt-Amended.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #3411
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stand corrected I just looked up the national statistics and AB is one of the 'best' soccer provinces.

Spoiler for size.

Spoiler!
Old 12-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #3412
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole idea of two regional based division 2 leagues playing a 4 month season feels like more of a division 3 concept in nature, but given that there is no division 2 in Canada, and the division 3 leagues that are around are very low budget and unstable, this seems like a decent fit for the short term. Long term, it could get really messy.

The real root of the issue is that the CSA is moving full speed ahead on getting all non-MLS clubs to play in Canadian equivalent leagues. But the issue with forcing the USL League 2 clubs into a Canadian equivalent league is that there isn’t a Canadian equivalent league. League1 Ontario and the anticipated League1 BC are very low budget, and there is no League1 equivalent in Alberta or Manitoba.

Basically, the standard of play and off-field setup in USL League 2 doesn’t exist in Canada.
Short term, this idea solves the problem of getting an equivalent level of play and budget for the clubs who want to invest in Canadian soccer, but not at the level of CPL level. Promising, but there are a lot of questions around how this fits long term:
- Does promotion / relegation happen right away? Or is it implemented when it becomes something that can be realistically done? Or is it not implemented at all?
- How does promotion / relegation work when regional leagues are in use? What if the bottom two CPL clubs are on the same side of the country? This works in other countries but with travel being the big reason to go regional, how does that get solved?
- For CPL 2 clubs in CPL cities, how are you going to attract fans?
- How do you get professional talent to play in a CPL 2? Or how do you get a semi-pro league if you rely on amateur USports level players?

For Calgary Foothills, I know the case for having them in a league makes sense from their point of view, but financially I don’t see how it makes sense. It’s basically taking USL League 2 costs and ramping them up, while maintaining the same small fan base that they had in USL League 2. It may make sense for Foothills to partner with a club like Lethbridge FC, where they can work together to provide the talent for the team, and being in Lethbridge will allow them to have a dedicated market to draw fans from, complete with a built-in supporters group already there.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #3413
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spanish article on Escalante's future from Honduras. He has an offer from Cavalry to return for 2020, but his preference is to return to Honduras. Cites the desire to be closer to home, and he feels he can get a better shot at the national team if he plays in Honduras. But, if no offer exists, he will return to Cavalry.

Also, he originally left Honduras because he was receiving death threats in an attempted extortion. Crazy.

http://www.tunota.com/jose-escalante...l-de-honduras/

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #3414
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1207359953670987776

Cavs will play the winner of Valour and Forge in the Quarterfinal for the Voyaguers Cup
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #3415
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope it's Forge, so we can crush their dumb CC hopes and dreams again.

Then we go on to play the Whitecaps and deliver them a repeat of last year's nightmare.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #3416
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 12-18-2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Unable to meet the Jimmy Stang standards and beyond salvage. ;)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #3417
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto FC...we're coming for you...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #3418
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The CSA is pretty blatantly trying to set up a Forge-Cavalry second round there, but it's a good format overall. Certainly an improvement on the 13-team mess we had last year.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #3419
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The CSA is pretty blatantly trying to set up a Forge-Cavalry second round there, but it's a good format overall. Certainly an improvement on the 13-team mess we had last year.
Pacific/Whitecaps, Cavalry/Forge, TFC/York9 is the rivalry/derby wish list, for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge