Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default The return of DDP Yoga

Yeah, weird I wanted to bump the old thread, but its gone baby.

This whole quarantine has been tough on everyone, our gym's our closed, its tough to get excited about leaving the house. You're working from home, all of that stuff.

I had dropped DDP Yoga a long time ago, I don't know how that happened it just did. A combination of making excuses, a lot of just hard tough times that crushed me and I stopped caring.

But a few weeks back, I attended a football camp as a coach. I came to realize, not only was I out of shape, but I wasn't as young as I used to be. even doing simple things like throwing a football, showing a drill, was hurting.

I went to dig through my boxes to find my old DDP set, but it was gone. So I ordered the newer version, and started about 3 weeks ago.

Its embarressing when you struggle through the first workout (Energy) when your modifying like crazy, when your sweating like a dog half way through it.

But man, after these 3 weeks why did I stop. On top of it, the new workouts all called 2 are a bit different then the original ones that I used the last time. Energy is mostly the same but adds some fat burner elements. Fat Burner kicks your butt.

But the one thing I want to put out there. Its a workout that's not super difficult or destroys you, you don't need equipment. You can as he says, make your work out your own, and build up to things so every workout can be different.

Yeah, I'm back to doing 3 energy and a fat burner a week, I'm adding core next week.

While I respect the diet, the more advanced elements aren't for me, though eating a ton of veggies and limiting to proteins from non red meats has made me feel better.

I've found that I can take a break in the middle of the day during work, spread out the mat and get a good workout in, and I don't feel as non energetic in the afternoon.

Just thought I'd throw it up there. In three weeks, I'm down 10 pounds.

The other big thing, and its something that I had never done before, Is being religious in drinking at least 2 litres of water a day, it certainly reduces my cravings for a lot of things as well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I bought a set of his DVD’s many years ago and I’ve still yet to even pop them in the DVD player! Probably why I’m still a fat guy… You’ve inspired me to dig them out and finally give it a whirl, thanks for the reminder!
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CactusJack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 09:35 PM   #3
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the newer version worth the investment? I actually liked the low-rent feel of the first set. It felt inclusive. I've also been mulling over breaking this back out. Little things like maintaining flexibility really start to mean more as you get older.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think it is because he had a chance to modify the workouts, so Energy for example is a little tougher and active as is fat burner. Core is pretty much the same.

I haven't gone into the higher end workouts. Energy, fat burner, stand up and red hot core for the next few months, then onto the combo workouts.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Is the newer version worth the investment? I actually liked the low-rent feel of the first set. It felt inclusive. I've also been mulling over breaking this back out. Little things like maintaining flexibility really start to mean more as you get older.

On the flexibility stuff, yeah, my hips and knees were getting bad, but I can see the improvements after the first few weeks.

The back stuff is really good. Though the plank pushups still suck beyond all reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 12:43 AM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've stuck with it off and on since I started this over 8 years ago. During 2020 I was scheduling workouts like a well oiled machine. My only problem was I lost control of my diet around November.

My eldest was doing weights and my younger son wanted me to teach him how to lift weights too. So between Christmas and New Years I began to teach him. My son older son would leave the weights on the curl bar instead of putting everything away. I thought, geez, he's 16 and doing what I was doing st the age of 20! So I started mixing in weights with my DDPY workouts. Weights in the afternoon and DDPY in the evening.

End of February hits and... I hurt my shoulder. I noticed a strain at first so I rested for a week and then I really injured it while sitting on the couch! ...how? My daughter knocked over a lamp beside the couch and my reflexes were as quick as an NHL goalie and I reached out and saved the lamp, but I had the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. Turns out I sprained my AC joint and strained my bicep. I can't seem to get better though and I haven't been able to workout in 4 months! I'm aching to start doing DDPY again but I'm not cleared to workout yet.

DDPY 2.0 is quite good. Fat Burner 2.0 is a much better workout than the first version. I can do FB 2.0 over and over again without it becoming too easy. In the first version Energy and FB were too easy after a while.

I think Red Hot Core was harder in the first version but RHC2.0 is still one impressive workout and still short as ever (12-ish minutes). Diamond Cutter 2.0? It'll kill ya. Double Black Diamond 2.0? I was too scared to try! I would
Suggest trying the subscription and buying a yearly subscription. On the DVDs you have about 16 workouts but on the app there are hundreds. They have other trainers leading workouts and they have live workouts that you can participate in, but if the timing doesn't work then they record it and put it on the app. That's why there is hundreds of workouts. Some instructors have workouts tailored to target certain areas or certain needs.

You gain points for doing the workouts on the app and get free swag after so many points.

I follow DDP on Facebook and I'm in the DDPYoga Facebook group. So many people in that group provide so much inspiration and advice and DDP is a regular participant... he even liked one of my posts!

DDPY is an awesome workout. I can't wait to be healed enough to do it again.
As soon as I'm able to workout again I'll be a beast.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 12:46 AM   #7
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and now there is DDPY Jacked! Using blood flow restrictors to enhance your workout and help build bigger muscles. Just DDPY alone you develop lean muscles but with Jacked you can work on your peaks for your freaks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Might have to get back in again! The weight loss was good last time (12lbs in 2 months). The major for me was how many aches and pains went away after a month of the yoga.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's huge for me, a lot of the aches and pains are already starting to fade out.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This interests me.

I am really starting to feel the abuse I put on my body between the ages of 16 and 48.

Is there a website or "trial" videos any where?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #11
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

www.ddpyoga.com

I believe you get a 7 day trial, or maybe longer if you sign up for the subscription. If you buy the DVDs you get a 30 day trial of the app(subscription).

Last edited by Buff; 07-03-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Might have to get back in again! The weight loss was good last time (12lbs in 2 months). The major for me was how many aches and pains went away after a month of the yoga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's huge for me, a lot of the aches and pains are already starting to fade out.
I had chronic knee problems before I found DDPY. My wife, a Physio, was always taping my knees and giving me acupuncture or doing whatever else to my knees just so that I could make it to my weekly game of hockey. I discovered DDPY in spring of 2013 and she hasn't treated my knees since that spring. About 4 months of workouts and I "fixed" my knee problems. They were just weak and tired from me being overweight and mostly inactive. I haven't had knee problems since. My lower back used to seize up on me a couple times per year, now it's maybe every other year. I also used to get a really stiff neck a couple of times per year and I haven't had that for a few years now... With my current inability to workout due to my shoulder injury I'm expecting my neck and back to cause me problems this summer.

DDPY just flat out works.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been doing yoga for ~15 years and DDP is the best program or routine I've done. I'd emphatically recommend it to anyone with a pulse and at least 2 working limbs.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 07:02 PM   #14
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This thread is the sign I need to move the boxes that had migrated into the space I was doing DDP and had become a convenient excuse. I know I will feel a million times better once I get going on it again.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #15
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

what is the best dvd package to get for someone that hasn't tried it? should I just jump into the max (57 workouts) $162 or should I get the combo pack (16 workouts) $80 and add onto it later?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Personally I got the max, though I might never get to some of the workouts, it is kinda motivating to know they're there.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #17
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks, also does it give a daily guide for beginners? what exercises to do in order?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #18
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe there is still a guide for beginners. Just one guide in the booklet that comes with the DVDs.

However, you can also get the subscription. The DVDs have around 16 workouts and one beginners plan. It is very easy to make up your own routine after you go through that plan. But with the subscription there is so much more. You get 100s of workouts, and you get Limited Mobility, Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced and Extreme Plans. Limited Mobility has more than one plan, the others have one plan, whoever I wonder if there are more plans to explore once you sign up for the subscription.

For a little over 100 per year you get so much more. I'm considering switching to the app once I'm cleared to workout again.

You also get a 7 day free trial with the app when you either sign up for subscription or order the DVDs. Technology can sometimes fail and it doesn't hurt to have the DVD as a backup.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Thanks, also does it give a daily guide for beginners? what exercises to do in order?

Absolutely there's a really good guide in the booklet that you get.

It breaks down workouts by day. It starts you pretty easy, but by the time you hit the advanced user, it can look pretty daunting.

There's also a good section on diet, I didn't go whole hog into his really religious organics diet. But I am following a moderate path.

There's some really tasty recipes. in there as well.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cortisone shot tomorrow. A little over a week of rest, then my physio returns from holidays and hopefully he'll be extremely surprised with my progress (due to the cortisone shot) and then, BANG! I'm hitting the mat again! ...I hope.

I was looking through my photos for something and I noticed one of my dog trying to lay across both my mat and my wife's mat. So I haven't worked out since March 11 at the most recent... please work cortisone shot, please work!
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: