Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #221
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I like the juniper chair for this reason, great palace to get some warm up laps in, or end the day with some easy short runs.

I am a little biased about this chair as juniper jungle is my favourite run. Great place to open it up.
Juniper chair also looks like a really good option for learners instead of Wiwaxy.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:13 PM   #222
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I also like when you come out of west bowl you can pop into that first run in the new area and really cook all the way to the lodge. It's a nice change of pace all in one run after West bowl, then the cat track.

And yeah, yesterday was magic. Enough snow to be fun. Blue sky. Warm weather with no wind. Just had a long sleeve shirt and my shell on with all vents everywhere open. Fataing amazing and about time after several mediocre weeks in a row.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:42 PM   #223
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And yeah, yesterday was magic. Enough snow to be fun. Blue sky. Warm weather with no wind. Just had a long sleeve shirt and my shell on with all vents everywhere open. Fataing amazing and about time after several mediocre weeks in a row.
Had a similar feeling doing backcountry laps just up 93 yesterday. Bluebird day with an untracked bowl all to ourselves. Good day of powder harvesting that felt almost like spring. Didn’t even pull out my shell for the way down — just skiing in my down vest and a base layer!

Strange year overall though. Feast or famine with a lot of famine.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #224
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Totally agree. December was HUGE, followed by meh mid-Jan to recently.

Get ready for the spring dumps. I fully expect 50+ overnight sometime in March for the Fernie/Castle region.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #225
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

We are looking at going skiing at Lake Louise during the public school spring break. How busy would it be on a monday or tuesday?
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:03 AM   #226
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i would expect tuesday to be less busy than monday. i would not expect it to be weekend busy though.
Old 03-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #227
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heading to Castle tomorrow. Will be first time on skis in 3 years and, more importantly, first time on two new hips. One bionic hip is 3 years old and the other is one. Wish me luck.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #228
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Sun Peaks has been awesome the last week. What a great hill with amazing infrastructure. I can only WISH Fernie develops like this.

I'd highly recommend it to just about anyone for its terrain, restaurants, etc. There's even a covered ODR with a zamboni if you get bored. Basically a fully functional town with a really good ski hill in the middle of it.

Also got to meet and ski with Nancy Greene, which was just about the coolest thing ever. That woman RIPS for a 78 year old.
Do you go to Sun Peaks often? I've been thinking about a future trip ever since your post and I'm wondering what conditions are like in the early season before Christmas. I'm not sure if I should try to go in early to Mid December or early to mid January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Heading to Castle tomorrow. Will be first time on skis in 3 years and, more importantly, first time on two new hips. One bionic hip is 3 years old and the other is one. Wish me luck.
Good luck, hopefully it is a good day and not windy. Castle is an interesting hill but I hate the wind down there.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2022, 05:48 PM   #229
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Good luck Ched! Hope you have a awesome day!!
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IGGYFORMVP For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #230
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

Good luck, hopefully it is a good day and not windy. Castle is an interesting hill but I hate the wind down there.
Thanks. Forecast says 20 km/hr gusting to 30 so that shouldn't be too bad. I have a feeling I'll be sticking to huckleberry so shouldn't be too exposed. My legs are so weak.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #231
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. Forecast says 20 km/hr gusting to 30 so that shouldn't be too bad. I have a feeling I'll be sticking to huckleberry so shouldn't be too exposed. My legs are so weak.
Get some hot laps through the terrain park and really test out those new joints.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:15 PM   #232
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wife and I had a great day at lake Louise today. Logged 18 runs between 8.45 and 3. With a stop for a morning snack and lunch.

My legs felt great Out there as I finally feel in skiing shape. Had one wipeout shortly after dropping in from sunset terrace.

Really surprised at how comfortable I feel on my skis after being there 14 times this year. I was initially iffy on the season pass, but it has been great.

Also nice seeing the avion folks out there as we scooped more $25 gift cards from door dash
Old 03-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #233
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How does this Avion thing work? I have to go out to LL in a few weeks because my son has a race there.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #234
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The action folks set up a tent right in front of the lodge. Go there show your avion card and collect free stuff.

They typically offer vouchers for a 1 hour lesson, or VIP lift tickets to help you side step the main line and lately they have been tossing in $25 vouchers for door dash.

I think you can follow a avion and/or RBC on insta to get a heads up on when they will be at LL
Old 03-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #235
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Plus you get a free Buff. What are those worth, $30?
Old 03-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #236
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody been to Louise in the last couple days? Is the highway to and from wet/dirty or is it dry? Reason I ask is I want to detail my car today, but I'm not going to bother if it's going to get filthy first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:15 AM   #237
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can check the webcams(turn them on on the right). But no, looks pretty moist.

https://511.alberta.ca/#:MyRoutes
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 09:30 AM   #238
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

You can check the webcams(turn them on on the right). But no, looks pretty moist.

https://511.alberta.ca/#:MyRoutes
Well, that saves me a job today. Thanks dude.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #239
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Visor helmet here - love it. I think it was a Giro from SkiWest, around $300. Only complaint is that it's not as ventilated as my previous helmet.

OTG goggles I've tried were never great, but the most expensive models with a fan might be okay. You can also order prescription goggles, but I've found the visor helmet to be more versatile.

My wife got me the Atomic visor helmet for my birthday. I love it. It's so nice to be able to wear my glasses instead of contacts. Fortunately I kept my older smaller glasses so they fit well. My helmet doesn't have much for ventilation but I'm bald so I welcome the warmth.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:56 PM   #240
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

In Fairmont. Thinking of either Panorama or Kimberley on Tuesday. Anyone know which one might have better conditions? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote