Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2022, 12:50 PM   #1861
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't see any point to the premium PS+ tiers if you already have Gamepass since there will be so much overlap and the Sony exclusives won't be day 1 releases like they are with Microsoft
There will be hundreds of games that aren't on gamepass with heavy hitters like spiderman ect.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:47 PM   #1862
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

And really there are still lots of people that don't have both XBox and Playstation.

The people that have both are likely the minority.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #1863
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just took advantage of subscribing to PS Now for a year which will move me into the premium tier of the new PS plus service. I am looking forward to getting some good gaming in when I get a rare bachelor week next week.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:12 PM   #1864
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I just stopped renewing PS Plus in favor of Game Pass.

We'll see how this goes.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #1865
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
And really there are still lots of people that don't have both XBox and Playstation.

The people that have both are likely the minority.
Yeah, except with Gamepass you can download the exclusives to your PC. With PS Plus, you can only stream and, IMO, we're just not quite there yet with streaming in terms of quality and input lag issues. I tried to stream MLB the Show a while back and it was completely unplayable because it's timing-based and the input lag made it impossible to hit or pitch.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #1866
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I just stopped renewing PS Plus in favor of Game Pass.

We'll see how this goes.
I did the same thing. I'll come back for the exclusives (but even those aren't as strong as they used to) but at this point I much prefer XSX and it's the console I'd recommend. Day 1 games on GamePass is huge. I don't think the new PS+ will match it.

I'm a huge Bethesda fan so the minute they went exclusive I knew my Sony days were numbered.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #1867
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, except with Gamepass you can download the exclusives to your PC. With PS Plus, you can only stream and, IMO, we're just not quite there yet with streaming in terms of quality and input lag issues. I tried to stream MLB the Show a while back and it was completely unplayable because it's timing-based and the input lag made it impossible to hit or pitch.
Very few people have PC's that can run modern PC games at a level equal to or greater than PS5/XSX and if they do they probably aren't too worried about consoles
Old 04-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #1868
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Very few people have PC's that can run modern PC games at a level equal to or greater than PS5/XSX and if they do they probably aren't too worried about consoles
Odd thing to say. Plenty of people use their PCs to play Gamepass. It's kind of irrelevant as to whether or not they play on par with a PS5 or XSX as long as they can actually play the games themselves.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:22 PM   #1869
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Odd thing to say. Plenty of people use their PCs to play Gamepass. It's kind of irrelevant as to whether or not they play on par with a PS5 or XSX as long as they can actually play the games themselves.
I have about a 7 year old PC with the only upgrade being a 2070 Super last year and it can play games just as well as my PS5 does. I might not be able to jack up the settings on every game to the highest to keep a high framerate but alot of settings on PC games have minimal to no visual improvement anyway so you can get away with lowering them and gaining framerate.

But I also don't have a 4KTV so I'm limited to 60 fps. Still, I don't think I would bother getting a Series X. I'm probably building a new rig sometime this year anyway that'll be more powerful.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #1870
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I absolutely can't play console games anymore that don't have a performance option for 60fps. I have 144hz monitor for my PC and going above 60 is amazing but not necessary but going below 60 is a nightmare for me. I'm not sure if I'm just sensitive to it but 30FPS I can clearly see its hard to explain but its choppy to me, similarly if I turn on a motion setting on a TV I see the flicker and it gives me a headache and no one else in my house can see it. Its weird, when I was younger in the age of CRT if I entered a room with a CRT TV on I could hear it also.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:12 AM   #1871
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
II have 144hz monitor for my PC and going above 60 is amazing but not necessary but going below 60 is a nightmare for me.
Yep, I have a 34" 144hz monitor and when I played Guardians of the Galaxy I averaged 60(well maybe around 58 but close enough)-75fps with RTX turned on. There were a couple of times it started to lag on heavy scenes but overall it was a good experience. And that was before they added DLSS support.

Last edited by Inferno; 04-07-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #1872
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yep, I have a 34" 144hz monitor and when I played Guardians of the Galaxy I averaged 60(while maybe around 58 but close enough)-75fps with RTX turned on. There were a couple of times it started to lag on heavy scenes but overall it was a good experience. And that was before they added DLSS support.
I think I said it in the video game thread, but GotG might be one of the best PC ports in history. I have an RX 480 and I was able to max every setting out on 1080p and still get around 60fps even with v-sync turned on.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #1873
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I have about a 7 year old PC with the only upgrade being a 2070 Super last year and it can play games just as well as my PS5 does. I might not be able to jack up the settings on every game to the highest to keep a high framerate but alot of settings on PC games have minimal to no visual improvement anyway so you can get away with lowering them and gaining framerate.

But I also don't have a 4KTV so I'm limited to 60 fps. Still, I don't think I would bother getting a Series X. I'm probably building a new rig sometime this year anyway that'll be more powerful.
A 2070 is a pretty massive upgrade...probably as expensive as a console
Old 04-07-2022, 07:36 PM   #1874
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
$600, I kind of had buyers remorse when the RTX 30 series was announced but with how hard it is to get one unless you want to spend stupid amounts for a Ti it worked out.

I said I got it last year but it was months before the RTX 30 series was announced so it would be just over two years now that I've had it. Covid's kind of blended the last two years together so it's easy to get things mixed up.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #1875
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. There are millions of people with PCs that are already capable of playing next gen games, and millions more who only need to purchase an upgraded GPU to make it possible. Add to that that many of us can sell our existing GPUs to offset some of that cost, and the price difference is negligible. For instance, I don't have a 4k TV, so I would only need to purchase 3060ti to get a card that's future-proofed for the next 5-8 years of 1080p, 60fps gaming, with ray-tracing, etc., That card will probably run me $700-$800 after tax, but I can sell by current card for $200-$300.

There isn't anything "wrong" with what Sony is doing. It just seems like a missed opportunity to add to their subscriber base, because currently there's no reason why I would choose PS Plus over Game Pass, or even as a supplement to Game Pass for the Sony exclusives. And I'm not about to spend the money on a PS5 just to play those exclusives.

I don't care as much about the day-one access as others do, but not being able to download games is a deal-breaker.

Last edited by rubecube; 04-08-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:04 PM   #1876
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. There are millions of people with PCs that are already capable of playing next gen games, and millions more who only need to purchase an upgraded GPU to make it possible. Add to that that many of us can sell our existing GPUs to offset some of that cost, and the price difference is negligible. For instance, I don't have a 4k TV, so I would only need to purchase 3060ti to get a card that's future-proofed for the next 5-8 years of 1080p, 60fps gaming, with ray-tracing, etc., That card will probably run me $700-$800 after tax, but I can sell by current card for $200-$300.

There isn't anything "wrong" with what Sony is doing. It just seems like a missed opportunity to add to their subscriber base, because currently there's no reason why I would choose PS Plus over Game Pass, or even as a supplement to Game Pass for the Sony exclusives. And I'm not about to spend the money on a PS5 just to play those exclusives.

I don't care as much about the day-one access as others do, but not being able to download games is a deal-breaker.
I think you might be missing the point of the
"PS5 vs. Switch vs. XBOXSX Thunderdome" though

Gamepass probably is better for a PC only gamer...Playstations services are certainly geared towards people that own Playstation consoles I won't argue that.

If we are comparing both services for console owners (which was the original conversation) they are certainly not redundant because Playstation tier two and three when have hundreds of different games not found on gamepass.

Also, even if gamepass was "better" its pretty irrelevant to someone that only likes/owns playstation consoles. For them its totally worth it if there are games they are wanting to play.

For someone with both like me its MOAR games for a reasonable price. My only concern is its becomes like free mobile games and we get the base games on our services and are then nickel and dimed for DLC, upgrades, loot boxes, ect.

Last edited by dino7c; 04-08-2022 at 11:13 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #1877
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you might be missing the point of the
"PS5 vs. Switch vs. XBOXSX Thunderdome" though

Gamepass probably is better for a PC only gamer...Playstations services are certainly geared towards people that own Playstation consoles I won't argue that.

If we are comparing both services for console owners (which was the original conversation) they are certainly not redundant because Playstation tier two and three when have hundreds of different games not found on gamepass.

Also, even if gamepass was "better" its pretty irrelevant to someone that only likes/owns playstation consoles. For them its totally worth it if there are games they are wanting to play.

For someone with both like me its MOAR games for a reasonable price. My only concern is its becomes like free mobile games and we get the base games on our services and are then nickel and dimed for DLC, upgrades, loot boxes, ect.
That's all fair. My point was more that I see this as a missed opportunity for Sony than anything. I would have been more than happy to either add a PS+ subscription of switch my Game Pass subscription for PS+ if they offered the ability to download games on PC.

To be fair, I don't have a wired connection to my PC because it would require me running a 15ft ethernet cable across my apartment, but I've been debating getting one to see if that improves the input lag issue with streaming games.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #1878
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's all fair. My point was more that I see this as a missed opportunity for Sony than anything. I would have been more than happy to either add a PS+ subscription of switch my Game Pass subscription for PS+ if they offered the ability to download games on PC.

To be fair, I don't have a wired connection to my PC because it would require me running a 15ft ethernet cable across my apartment, but I've been debating getting one to see if that improves the input lag issue with streaming games.
Get a Powerline network adapter

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00116002
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #1879
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
In many cases that will give you a worse connection than wifi
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:33 AM   #1880
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if you own your own place or not, but if your apartment is a new enough build (at least CAT5 being used for telco lines), you might be able to convert the RJ11 jacks to RJ45 and run the ethernet that way, provided the lines terminate in your suite and not in a shared telecom room.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: