Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:
Default Fs: Aspen custom home by morrison $764,900

This is not my listing but a property I previewed yesterday and found quite neat with its design.

Anyone who has built a home knows how difficult it can be to get custom work done by some of the big player cookie cutter builders.
Light fixtures, window coverings, appliances, flooring etc are all top notch. Comes with a projector set up that was crystal clear on a 110" screen. (I was told it was a 15k set up).

$764,000

Link: http://tmunroe.com/listing_detail-6553179.html

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com

Last edited by Travis Munroe; 10-30-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why no walkout basement? Did they opt for a projector over a door? Looks like it was meant to be a walkout....odd
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is it not weird that it doesnt have a vent fan over the gas stove?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

It is a self vented stove. Sucks through the middle and vents down and under through the side of the house.
As for the walk out.... looks like it very well could have been and I re call enough room. I wonder how much would need to change structurally to add some doors?

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Why no walkout basement? Did they opt for a projector over a door? Looks like it was meant to be a walkout....odd
There doesn't appear to be quite enough clearance on the back for doors, they possibly could have made it a "walk up" basement but then you'd have to build a retaining wall and have stairs, which would have added a couple of $K or more to the price...

Last edited by Jedi Ninja; 11-06-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow 3/4 of a mill for that? Here in Waterloo that would cost 300k max.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
You wouldn't get that for 300k anywhere in Calgary, but Aspen is probably the most expensive "new" neighbourhood in the city. Lots of "prestige."
Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
But then you'd have to live in Waterloo. That isn't worth the extra $450K.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This particular home is not a good benchmark for the Calgary market; in addition to being in a pricy neighbourhood, even though it looks from the outside to be a starter home, the interior finishings have been decked out to the nines. You can get a house with a similair exterior elevation and floor plan for high $300's in the outer burbs, sans the interior finishings. A typical (median) home in Calgary is $395K.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
I tried to hold you back but you were stronger

Last edited by stampsx2; 11-13-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
This particular home is not a good benchmark for the Calgary market; in addition to being in a pricy neighbourhood, even though it looks from the outside to be a starter home, the interior finishings have been decked out to the nines. You can get a house with a similair exterior elevation and floor plan for high $300's in the outer burbs, sans the interior finishings. A typical (median) home in Calgary is $395K.
IMHO the interior doesn't look all that high end to me. Especially the kitchen. It's just average. Unless the photos aren't doing it any favours, it seems overpriced.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

It looks like it doesn't even have a backsplash...
Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No raised paneling on the cabinets
No back splash
Small island
Not enough counter top space
no cupboard under one of the counters... that's weird.....

are the things I noticed about the kitchen.

Not really "decked out to the nines", but the additional cabinets on top are pricey. Not useful since you'll need a step ladder to access them. Would have been better as display cabinets, glass with lighting inside.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yah, on closer look, there are definitely some things that fall short of $765K on the interior finishings as well. To me, it looks to be a starter home model that's been pimped out, which would explain the patch-work of entry level and upgraded features. The owner has made some interesting choices on how to spend their money, those wood shutters aren't cheap, and they've also put hardwood in all of the bedrooms etc. Anyway, my point was just that you can't judge the Calgary market based on the exterior picture of this one house, I'm not trying to say that the interior finishings justify its price.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not commenting on the house itself (not a huge fan of a lot of it), but pretty much everything you said is borderline ignorant. The only thing that looks visually "cheaped out" is the dining set and dishwasher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
No raised paneling on the cabinets design choice, not everyone wants an old italian ladies kitchen

No back splash design choice, many people just go with the granite backsplash as they have, you think they would cheap out on $300 worth of tiling when they're dealing with upwards of $7,000 of granite?

Small island Its pretty big given the fact it has a gas cooktop and has to fit within the existing kitchen footprint; given the space, its a solid layout.

Not enough counter top space looks like quite a good amount, and again, has to fit within the actual kitchen itself.

no cupboard under one of the counters... that's weird..... its a desk, again, are you serious?

are the things I noticed about the kitchen.

Not really "decked out to the nines", but the additional cabinets on top are pricey. Not useful since you'll need a step ladder to access them god are you serious?. Would have been better as display cabinets, glass with lighting inside.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

A desk in the kitchen might be a design choice, but it's a weird design choice, IMHO. This isn't the 50s where June Cleaver is setting up playdates at the one rotary phone in the kitchen. A house at that price point probably has a computer room/office, where you'd put a regular desk.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Not commenting on the house itself (not a huge fan of a lot of it), but pretty much everything you said is borderline ignorant. The only thing that looks visually "cheaped out" is the dining set and dishwasher.
I was responding to the "Decked out to the nines" comment. To me that meant "fully loaded", "most expensive stuff", etc.

Yes, I'm serious about my comments. I can see where you are coming from with the design comments and I agree with some of them.

If it was fully loaded, it would have had some of the items I mentioned, would it be cost efficient to have them design wise? Probably not.

If you click on the link for the house, there's another angle of the kitchen, and from that angle you can see how small the island is compared to the room size.

Are you honestly telling me that you want a desk in your kitchen? Would you put a chair there?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Young-Sneezy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

aaaaand 450k in detroit.

doesnt mean i want to live there....
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Aspen confuses me. It's like Tuscany but twice as expensive - and I don't know why. I think it's a bit closer to downtown. But . . . Not that much. It's got a nice Safeway and Aspen Landing is pretty nice. But . . . Not that nice. I really don't get it. I can't afford to live there, but if I was going to spend $750,00 and I've looked around at that price range because unfortunately some neighborhoods I'd like to live in have houses in that range (which means I can't live there) and they're so much more appealing than a box with a backyard facing another box where you can both look into each others box from your kitchen in your box.

Weird - but like a lot of people have said in this thread. To each their own. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean plenty of other people won't.
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I personally think the developers of Aspen did a fantastic job. They started with million dollar plus homes which created a true estate and luxury feel (Aspen Estates). A couple years ago Aspen was very ritzy. Fast forward to where we are now and full sized homes can be had in the low 500s. The people buying these properties still feel the luxury of "Aspen" but in reality its not the same as it was.
Regardless, it is still a fantastic area and I do not see it losing value but not reflective on the city itself.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com