Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2022, 11:43 AM   #1881
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
In many cases that will give you a worse connection than wifi
Elaborate. I have never had issues recommending and using them and watching reviews all seem to be faster and more stable than wifi.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #1882
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I don't know if you own your own place or not, but if your apartment is a new enough build (at least CAT5 being used for telco lines), you might be able to convert the RJ11 jacks to RJ45 and run the ethernet that way, provided the lines terminate in your suite and not in a shared telecom room.
I rent and my place was built in the 1960s, so I'm guessing my options are limited.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #1883
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Elaborate. I have never had issues recommending and using them and watching reviews all seem to be faster and more stable than wifi.
It all depends on the wiring in your home. If you've got a newer house with good electrical wiring then you're probably fine, but a house with older or convoluted wiring will have worse speeds than wifi. If you're lucky enough to be able to put the receiver and transmitter on the same electrical run then that's going to be almost as good as standard ethernet, but the longer the signal has to travel then the worse the connection will be
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #1884
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It all depends on the wiring in your home. If you've got a newer house with good electrical wiring then you're probably fine, but a house with older or convoluted wiring will have worse speeds than wifi. If you're lucky enough to be able to put the receiver and transmitter on the same electrical run then that's going to be almost as good as standard ethernet, but the longer the signal has to travel then the worse the connection will be
I'm not going to argue Wifi Speeds especially newer standards but I still see far too many dropped signals with wifi and packet loss because of it. I recommend PLN for the stability which I've never see an issue with, if you can troubleshoot and get a solid connection on wifi its a no brainer but at the end of the day its still wireless and too many factors can affect it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:19 PM   #1885
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I rent and my place was built in the 1960s, so I'm guessing my options are limited.
Unless it was renovated since then and the in-wall cabling updated to CAT5 minimum, yeah, unfortunately you're probably SOL in that regard. You can typically get away with swapping the wall jacks from RJ11 (standard telephone) to RJ45 (ethernet jack) as RJ45 will still accept an RJ11 if someone does want to run a home telephone off the jack, but the cabling is the limiting factor.

For running a cable, you could always use a wire conduit or tuck the wire between the baseboards and flooring, assuming you have carpeting to begin with.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:52 PM   #1886
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1517274788913246208
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #1887
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I managed to get a PS5 about two months ago from Costco, but am frustrated that it crashes when I put it in sleep mode, and it does this every time (so far all I have played is Horizon Forbidden West.) I've read online that this might be common, but no solutions as of yet (except not to put it in sleep mode - something I occasionally forget to do as I've been going that route with the PS4 for a long time).

One solution I did read about was to rebuild the database, but think I also read there are risks in that with regard to locking me out of my system? Whether that's actually a risk, I don't know. I'm not sure about this stuff?

Anyone else find a fix? Did I get a dud?
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #1888
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have had my PS5 for about a year. My kids play it way more than I do. I dont think it has ever crashed going into or coming out of sleep mode.....
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #1889
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
I have had my PS5 for about a year. My kids play it way more than I do. I dont think it has ever crashed going into or coming out of sleep mode.....
I think mine might have once or twice but after restarting it was fine after a database check. I did have to reset mine though after a fuse blew downstairs and it couldn't get past the PlayStation logo.

I don't have PS+ since I don't like multiplayer so I lost all of my saves. The only saves I lost that I'm annoyed about is about half of Ghost of Tsushima and about 10 hours of Forbidden West.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #1890
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey brewery View Post
I managed to get a PS5 about two months ago from Costco, but am frustrated that it crashes when I put it in sleep mode, and it does this every time (so far all I have played is Horizon Forbidden West.) I've read online that this might be common, but no solutions as of yet (except not to put it in sleep mode - something I occasionally forget to do as I've been going that route with the PS4 for a long time).

One solution I did read about was to rebuild the database, but think I also read there are risks in that with regard to locking me out of my system? Whether that's actually a risk, I don't know. I'm not sure about this stuff?

Anyone else find a fix? Did I get a dud?
This unfortunately has been my life for the last year (plus.... grumble). Mine crashes after about 30 minutes of playing a PS5 game. It never happens with PS4 games, or very particular PS5 games (hockey and the GTA Trilogy don't do it).

When I first contacted sony, they told me to wait for an update. Then they said they'd send me a box to send it away in, which I'd receive back within 2 months. The box never arrived so I contacted them again, at which point they told me the warranty was now expired and I could pay $250 to have it fixed.

Basically I'm just biting the bullet and playing in 30 minute increments out of spite.

I've done everything imaginable and nothing seems to work. Appears I just got a dud. Hope your situation is better.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #1891
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
This unfortunately has been my life for the last year (plus.... grumble). Mine crashes after about 30 minutes of playing a PS5 game. It never happens with PS4 games, or very particular PS5 games (hockey and the GTA Trilogy don't do it).

When I first contacted sony, they told me to wait for an update. Then they said they'd send me a box to send it away in, which I'd receive back within 2 months. The box never arrived so I contacted them again, at which point they told me the warranty was now expired and I could pay $250 to have it fixed.

Basically I'm just biting the bullet and playing in 30 minute increments out of spite.

I've done everything imaginable and nothing seems to work. Appears I just got a dud. Hope your situation is better.
Ugh, sorry to hear that. Super disappointing Sony isn't budging.

Upon reading your situation I decided I'm going to see just how generous Costco's return policy is (bought it on February 17, and don't have the box for one of the controllers).

I really don't want to go the Sony customer service route if I don't have to. And I just said what the hell and tried to rebuild the database - it did not nothing to address the problem.

I'm kind of mad at myself for leaving it so long now.
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkey brewery For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #1892
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey brewery View Post
Ugh, sorry to hear that. Super disappointing Sony isn't budging.

Upon reading your situation I decided I'm going to see just how generous Costco's return policy is (bought it on February 17, and don't have the box for one of the controllers).

I really don't want to go the Sony customer service route if I don't have to. And I just said what the hell and tried to rebuild the database - it did not nothing to address the problem.

I'm kind of mad at myself for leaving it so long now.
Leave it 13 months and you won't be "kind of mad" anymore.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #1893
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I grabbed a Series X from Best Buy on 17th Ave. They had more on the shelf.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #1894
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I grabbed a Series X from Best Buy on 17th Ave. They had more on the shelf.
Did you buy one that was on the shelf or did they give it to you from the back? Last time I was there they just had a lot of empty series x boxes on the shelf
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #1895
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Did you buy one that was on the shelf or did they give it to you from the back? Last time I was there they just had a lot of empty series x boxes on the shelf
I bought it online and picked it up so it came from the back. I didn’t know they put out empty boxes.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #1896
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I received a personal Xbox email from Microsoft and I was able to help a buddy get a series X. I just got another email and another friend was able to take advantage. It looks like Microsoft stock is coming in.

If you are wanting an Xbox without the forced bundling, keep an eye on the official Xbox site. Also ask any Xbox friends to check their inboxes in case they also get these email for a forward.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:04 AM   #1897
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS5 drop - Walmart two controllers + charging dock
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playsta...RD6JJ5GDRY6GX4
Old 05-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #1898
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've missed out on the Walmart drop I have put my extra PS5 up for sale now...decided it's overkill to have two.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=188411
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #1899
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone with a PS Now and PlayStation plus will have the new PlayStation plus premium which is the Sony answer to game pass launching tomorrow.

Looks like some decent PS 5 titles that will be available tomorrow that I have been wanting to play like Returnal, and Assassins Creed Valhalla. Both Spider Man games will be available
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #1900
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just checking the amount of content on the new PS Plus premium which I believe is the highest tier. Insane amount of games from throughout the PS console/handheld generations. Looks to be excellent value for your money.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote