Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #21
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like some people expect a brand new system every year with huge changes and some sort of upgrade to the style/gameplay mode they play specifically.

I've bought every NHL since 2011 and still have fun playing them off and on but perhaps my expectations are lower.

New frostbite engine looks good, I'll play this one a bunch and enjoy it.
I only really play GM mode myself, I find building teams etc is just as much fun as actually playing a game here and there.

Looks good.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #22
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I forgot how much I hate the new commentary team - I wish they'd get some better commentators for the series.

Will try it out via demo before I buy it.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #23
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Updated post 1 with the gameplay trailer.

...actual gameplay does not look visually impressive to me.
I don't know if it's the lighting or something but something does just seem off to me in these trailers.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #24
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I feel like some people expect a brand new system every year with huge changes and some sort of upgrade to the style/gameplay mode they play specifically.
I don't think that anyone expects that from the complaints I read every year. People just want meaningful change instead of a yearly roster update.

And in all fairness, EA has no problem charging full price for the game each year and trying to milk people with microtransactions, so is it really unreasonable to expect meaningful change each year?
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #25
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I don't think that anyone expects that from the complaints I read every year. People just want meaningful change instead of a yearly roster update.

And in all fairness, EA has no problem charging full price for the game each year and trying to milk people with microtransactions, so is it really unreasonable to expect meaningful change each year?
Every game developer charges full price for their game any time a new one comes out so that's not new. Know of any who charge a minimal amount for a new game that comes out replacing their older version? I sure dont.

Every game these days seems to toss in some sort of microtransaction shop, whether its for cards, player skins, gun skins etc so again its not out of the ordinary, its rarely FORCED on you to participate in buying these things.

Nobody is forcing you to buy microtransactions, perhaps if you're a HUT fanatic you may feel forced, but that's 1 aspect of the game and you're entitled to play other modes free of any additional cost.

New engine, new rosters, new graphics, new animations.
There's lots of "new" things what more are you expecting? What is "meaningful change" to you that you haven't seen in 1 gameplay trailer?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #26
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only times we really see significant change is when we get a generation change hardware wise, so NHL 22 SHOULD bring in a significant amount of change that should act as the foundation for the next 6-7 years of the game.

...but it almost looks like the move to frostbite was a lot of lift and shift, rather than new build. I'm not sure we're going to see as significant a change as we're used to when it comes to new hardware platforms. If this is the case, stagnation is going to hammer this series incredibly hard and to a level we haven't really seen before.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every game developer charges full price for their game any time a new one comes out so that's not new. Know of any who charge a minimal amount for a new game that comes out replacing their older version? I sure dont.
Dumb argument. Other game developers don't release a new game that is functionally identical to its predecessor. Even if they didn't try to improve on mechanics, they all have different stories and substantive content. All EA needs to do is improve on the mechanics, and they don't bother because NHL is basically a scam.
Quote:
Every game these days seems to toss in some sort of microtransaction shop, whether its for cards, player skins, gun skins etc so again its not out of the ordinary, its rarely FORCED on you to participate in buying these things.
This isn't true. Not every game does it. Those that do are often lambasted for it. EA should be too, to exactly the degree it deserves - which is to say, not as much as 2K, but more than most.
Quote:
Nobody is forcing you to buy microtransactions, perhaps if you're a HUT fanatic you may feel forced, but that's 1 aspect of the game and you're entitled to play other modes free of any additional cost.
The other game modes are, for the most part, very underserviced, because all the effort (limited as it is) that is put into each new iteration is aimed at the modes that can make additional money out of microtransactions. This is sort of like playing a "pay to win" free game and pointing out that if you don't want to pay money to skip the 4 hour wait cycle to harvest a resource no one is making you do so. Well, technically that's true, but the pursuit of secondary transactions to pull in extra cash for the developer is hampering the enjoyability of the game.
Quote:
There's lots of "new" things what more are you expecting? What is "meaningful change" to you that you haven't seen in 1 gameplay trailer?
Actually improved gameplay and AI, for most people - that is, a game that feels different to play than the last five iterations. For me, something that resembles GM Connected is all I need to buy it again. But that can't be easily monetized beyond the purchase of the game and might distract people from the other online game modes that can be monetized in that way... so it'll never happen.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 09:49 AM   #28
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:

corsi mostly touched on this already, but I don't think your reply is an accurate picture of the situation. Sure, developers charge full price for new games. But they also often charge reduced prices for expansions or even sometimes free upgrades. Outside of EA, are there any series that put out games every single year for full price?

Regarding microtransactions, sure no one forces me to buy them, but try playing other modes since HUT became a thing. Their development has been minimal compared to the mode that generates extra revenue. And I get the business decision to do it, I just feel it invalidates your point.

Meaningful change means that every year the EA marketing team says the exact same things. Bigger hits, better dekes, etc. But at the end of the day, gameplay is pretty much the same as 10-15 years ago. So at this point I'm not sure how many new engines or platforms they need to make a game that actually plays like hockey.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:21 AM   #29
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Outside of EA, are there any series that put out games every single year for full price?
Yes, quite a few actually. Just a couple of examples is MLB The Show comes out full price every year and I've heard complaints that the changes don't warrant charging full price. I get it when it drops to $20-$30 and always think to myself even though there's improvements there's not enough to make me pay full price.

Then there's the WWE 2K series who up until this past year when they took a year off because 2K20 tanked bad sold their games for full price.

The thing with the NHL series or any EA Sports game is you don't have to pay full price for it. With EA Access you just have to be patient.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've bought every NHL since 2011 and still have fun playing them off and on but perhaps my expectations are lower.

New frostbite engine looks good, I'll play this one a bunch and enjoy it.
I only really play GM mode myself, I find building teams etc is just as much fun as actually playing a game here and there.

Looks good.
I am no fan of EA but I can see how it would be difficult to meet expectations annually because of you make incremental improvements it’s not going to satisfy a lot of people but if you make big changes you risk that some of them may not be for the better and make the game worse. My issue with Madden and NHL is that for new game pricing annually they should at least be upgrading the game engines per generation. Even Madden is still running on the old Frostbite engine which was really developed for FPS games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #31
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate that this tech test release has no concept of VS play. Gives me no insight into the game modes I actually even play.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #32
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing the Nhl early access.... So far, really happy with the feel of the game play.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #33
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t bought a NHL game since 16 but will be sneaking out here at lunch to pick up a copy of 22. Hoping the next gen upgrade renews my interest in this series.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #34
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I'll probably grab an online copy this weekend. Usually I wait, but I've enjoyed playing EASHL and I'm always a sucker for the GM mode
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #35
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm having fun with it so far.

It is of course iterative, but things like puck control/shooting lanes/defensive play is much better than it has been in previous years...hopefully they don't tweak the settings and screw it up - I like the feel of how it plays now.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #36
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with sports games is their annual release model is a dinosaur, they're the only game that even does this at all. NHL / Madden / MLB should be a F2P platform you can download and all extra modes with the microtransactions fund it. Like Fortnite or Destiny or whatever else that's doing that. There's no meaningful change to justify putting out a new $80 game every year and they're loaded with microtransactions anyway.

But as long as these releases keep selling a ton they can have their pie and eat it too. Just a lot of gamers out there who only buy sports games and Call of Duty.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #37
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'm having fun with it so far.

It is of course iterative, but things like puck control/shooting lanes/defensive play is much better than it has been in previous years...hopefully they don't tweak the settings and screw it up - I like the feel of how it plays now.
This is my worry.

In the EA Play Free Trial the game felt great, and felt a lot like more hockey.

But I saw some people in the competitive community complaining about it already.

I'm worried that it will get Tuned and won't feel as good as it does now.

Also Madden is already on sale...so I might just wait a month and get NHL when it's inevitably onsale at black friday.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #38
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is my worry.

In the EA Play Free Trial the game felt great, and felt a lot like more hockey.

But I saw some people in the competitive community complaining about it already.

I'm worried that it will get Tuned and won't feel as good as it does now.

Also Madden is already on sale...so I might just wait a month and get NHL when it's inevitably onsale at black friday.
Same story every year. Feels good at launch, gets tuned to feel super arcadey because of the people that play online whining about it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #39
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Hopefully they fixed the perenially broken Be a GM mode.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #40
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm really impressed with the graphics on Series X, which are especially apparently on a 4K TV with good HDR handling.

What I'm annoyed with is EA charging for the Xbox Series X/S version and the Xbox One version separately. What the f-ck, EA, everyone else this generation made and sold one game and Smart Delivery downloaded the version for the appropriate console (except games where there isn't an Xbox One version available at all). Instead if you aren't so fortunate enough to have upgraded every console in your house to a Series X/S (I have a Series X and my other consoles are still One Xs) then you have to buy the game twice.

Thanks, dicks.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote