Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #1901
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was just a world war festival of chops, good lord
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #1902
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This was actually me with amateur wrestling. I was actually pretty decent but I was short and fat, so I got tossed into a weight class I didn't belong in and got my head slammed into the mat a bunch.

Wrestling I was ok with, but I got tossed off the team after tryouts because I was a huge jerk and intentionally tried to injure a kid that I couldn't stand. That's right when I was in a position to bring my arm across his face, I wound up and punched him as hard as I could in the mouth.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #1903
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This was actually me with amateur wrestling. I was actually pretty decent but I was short and fat, so I got tossed into a weight class I didn't belong in and got my head slammed into the mat a bunch.
The ol’ fat guy versus muscular guy matchup? Those were my second favourite matches to watch inbetween my own matches

I was decent but got all my wins off of amateurs. My fakes and counter counter moves didn’t work on club types who knew what they were doing
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #1904
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wrestling I was ok with, but I got tossed off the team after tryouts because I was a huge jerk and intentionally tried to injure a kid that I couldn't stand. That's right when I was in a position to bring my arm across his face, I wound up and punched him as hard as I could in the mouth.
Did you try to explain you picked that up from pro wrestling? I mean every wrestling coach had to put up with that excuse every tryout and should’ve given you a freebie
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #1905
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone else watch Omega Man: A Wrestling Love Story on TSN? I didn't know much about the guy, so it was pretty interesting.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #1906
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, somewhat contradictory, I have been listening to lots of Jim Cornette, which is always entertaining even if you disagree with him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #1907
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Did anyone else watch Omega Man: A Wrestling Love Story on TSN? I didn't know much about the guy, so it was pretty interesting.
I've watched it, thought it was an awesome doc. Really gives you an insight into Kenny and his creative process. I've seen him live in Japan and he's like a god over there lol.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #1908
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I've watched it, thought it was an awesome doc. Really gives you an insight into Kenny and his creative process. I've seen him live in Japan and he's like a god over there lol.
I kind of get why Cornette hates him, because he hates "goofy ####" but I like his in ring style, he wrestles with a lot of snap. I would really enjoy watching Ziggler and Omega sell for each other.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #1909
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember seeing Omega wrestle here when a Winnipeg promotion which was based on his Wikipedia page was probably PCW came up to do a bunch of shows in Northern Manitoba. I think that was around the time he was with ROH.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #1910
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I kind of get why Cornette hates him, because he hates "goofy ####" but I like his in ring style, he wrestles with a lot of snap. I would really enjoy watching Ziggler and Omega sell for each other.
He does a lot of goofy #### but no one puts on better epic matches than Kenny right now, IMO (besides Okada).

It's a shame that AEW has kind of neutered him in the North American format. Just put him at the top of the card and give him the license to work his 45-60 minute masterpieces on the big PPVs and send everyone home happy.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #1911
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Lots of rumors floating around today that WWE is being sold to a Fox and ESPN. Take it for what it is but a lot of media outlets are picking up rumblings.

Now its a pretty foggy rumor that originated with Dutch Mantell, but there were rumors that the WWE was looking to sell the network to Fox and ESPN. But now there's rumors that the whole shooting match could be involved.

At the same time the WWE is facing another issue as a lawsuit has been filed against Vince, HHH, Stephanie and other shareholders accusing them of insider trading and actions detrimental to the Shareholders, this lawsuit was filed by shareholders with an allegation that the McMahon's using insider knowledge of the Saudi relationship with the company dumped about 300 million in shares due to knowledge that the stocks were bloated thanks to one time revenues from the Saudi cards.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #1912
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a Trump " buy out ". Isnt Mrs.McMahon working for Trump?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #1913
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still shocked wwe are being stubborn and not fully copying dynamites tv presentation setup

They did copy the hard cap, but the house show style light and the 10 people around ringside make such a massive difference in atmosphere
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #1914
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

WWE should hologram all the previous WWE wrestlers - from legends to jobbers - in the seats surrounding the ring, staring silently at the in-ring action, with judgmental looks on their faces.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #1915
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't watched a full episode in ages. Is Raw still three hours?
Old 04-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #1916
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or 30 minutes max with fast forward.

I wonder how relevant the rumors of the sale are. But I tend to believe that at one point Vince was pretty secure and probably had a plan for him to step away from the day to day operations. But he might have looked at the losses of revenue that are happening. Then looked around the board room table at Stephanie and HHH and the other executives and realized that he didn't trust them to carry things on.

Wasn't HHH recently demoted, and even his pride and joy which is NXT isn't as must see wrestling as it was last year.

Even Paul Heyman who at one point was a booking genius seems to have lost touch in terms of what exciting TV is.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #1917
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If WWE is being sold to ESPN & Fox....doesn't that mean that WWE is just being sold to Disney.

I could see that actually.

Current market cap is $3.4B, which puts them in line with acquisitions of Marvel and LucasFilms of around $4B. So right in the range of a big Disney purchase/takeover for sure.

Disney loves building up their inventory of strong brands with a huge back catalog. The WWE back catalog instantly becomes a huge piece of their ESPN+ offering, and they have the ability to put the flagship shows on either Fox or ESPN.

Plus there have been rumors of Disney wanting to re-vitalize the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex that is part of their Disney World property, and moving the WWE performance center to that location could be a really interesting play for them, and they could build a real "WWE HoF" to be part of the attraction on the park and attract more guests.

It actually makes a lot of sense when you start to break it apart, and really Disney could do a lot with that brand in the big scheme of things.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-04-2020 at 01:56 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #1918
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Disney didn't acquire the broadcaster, news and sports channels arms of Fox.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #1919
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Disney didn't acquire the broadcaster, news and sports channels arms of Fox.

Ah yeah thanks for the reminder forgot sports and broadcast were included with News as things that stayed with Fox Corp. The whole thing is messy since the International Fox Sports networks did go to Disney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Networks_Group

Either way I think with ESPN being involved the point still stands, I feel like this is Disney looking for stuff to beef up their ESPN+ / Hulu+ brands potentially, and with it the development center being based in Orlando it could expand to the parks in some way.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #1920
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they had a WWE attraction at Disney World, like the performance center where you could see a wrestling show and tour a hall of fame would actually give me a reason to go.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote