Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2022, 09:43 AM   #1001
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

So does that make 3 ULCC and 2 mainline carriers doing YYC-YYZ now? That's more seats than I can imagine being filled regularly. Or will this cause AC and WS to drop frequencies?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #1002
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd think that AC and WS may try to grind out one of those 3 ULCC's on the route.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #1003
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
So does that make 3 ULCC and 2 mainline carriers doing YYC-YYZ now? That's more seats than I can imagine being filled regularly. Or will this cause AC and WS to drop frequencies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'd think that AC and WS may try to grind out one of those 3 ULCC's on the route.
I don't think this country can support 3 ULCC's (4 if you count Swoop). Maybe 1-2. I also don't get the appeal, the savings aren't really significant in my experience and the benefits of a mainline carrier probably outweigh the small cost difference. Plus I'm a big guy and the seats are bad enough on mainline, I cannot fathom stuffing myself into the seating nightmare that is a ULCC for anything other than shorthaul flight.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #1004
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, I know nothing about this proposed aircraft. Proposed extended range with only 25 passengers and generators of 800km, makes YYC to YVR and most of our prairie destinations possible.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1570382631522418694

https://media.aircanada.com/2022-09-...eart-Aerospace

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-15-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #1005
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Exactly what we need on the East Coast.

Electric should drastically reduce costs (no fuel) making short distance travel like YQY-YHZ affordable. Small planes would mean increased frequency, meaning it's easier to book.

Right now my wife and I are looking to go to New York in November. I can either fly YQY-YYZ at 5:20am, or to YUL at 16:45. Those are the only options for Air Canada.

Since COVID and the retirement of the classic Dash-8s the formerly 5x daily service to Halifax is gone.

This is a plane that could really serve this country well, really really well.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 AM   #1006
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

What sort of charging capacity are they using that they could recharge the batteries in 20 to 30 minutes for a flight and what sort of infrastructure investment will airports/carriers have to make to be able to recharge these planes?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:36 AM   #1007
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://heartaerospace.com/es-30/

There is very little actual information, so little I'm not even sure they have a prototype, so I assume they are educated guesses about things like range.

I'm sure the investments in infrastructure will pay themselves off fairly quickly.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #1008
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an RC model of the ES-19, a smaller plane. It was in December, so ya, I'm not sure their timeframe is super realistic. A ways to go on this one.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #1009
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
http://heartaerospace.com/es-30/

There is very little actual information, so little I'm not even sure they have a prototype, so I assume they are educated guesses about things like range.

I'm sure the investments in infrastructure will pay themselves off fairly quickly.
Airport authorities will be pretty slow and potentially hesitant to investing in new charging requirements if these planes can't simply plug into existing gate or bridge power sources though.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #1010
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Airport authorities will be pretty slow and potentially hesitant to investing in new charging requirements if these planes can't simply plug into existing gate or bridge power sources though.
I doubt that. They'll charge more than what they need to to the airlines in gate fees. It'll be a "electric charging surcharge fee". Eventually this sort of thing will save airports money, not needing as many refuelling trucks, tanker storage, and all the costs that go with it. Airline fuel isn't exactly easy, but they do it by charging the appropriate price.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #1011
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think we're a long way away from large electronic airliners.

I'd need to read more up on it, but I wonder if the batteries could be interchangeable? While they're loading bags, swap the battery for a fully charged one rather than plug in and wait?

I believe it was Wendover Productions that did the analysis on the economics of an electric airplane. I feel like I may have posted it earlier in this thread? After work (or when I get some more downtime and not just a quick mental break) I'll have a look.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #1012
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no way a battery swap makes more sense than charging. They should be able to charge it in under an hour, and I don't think turnaround time at gates is much less than that.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:44 AM   #1013
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt that. They'll charge more than what they need to to the airlines in gate fees. It'll be a "electric charging surcharge fee". Eventually this sort of thing will save airports money, not needing as many refuelling trucks, tanker storage, and all the costs that go with it. Airline fuel isn't exactly easy, but they do it by charging the appropriate price.
Having worked for one of the airlines at YYC not long ago I can tell you that airport authorities are not swift when it comes to facility or operational changes. They are dinosaurs and many times they stand in the way of changes that companies would like to implement.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #1014
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

We were exploring electric trainers in some projects and there are a few players but nothing is operational yet.

Charging is a big issue and the most practical solution at the moment is battery swaps between flights. Turnaround time is just too quick to charge on wing. I can't see this issue improving with a larger aircraft.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #1015
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, uh, if we start moving to electric planes as well, where are all the minerals and such going to come from for all these electric cars/planes/etc.? The moon?
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:26 AM   #1016
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is an RC model of the ES-19, a smaller plane. It was in December, so ya, I'm not sure their timeframe is super realistic. A ways to go on this one.
What is this? An airplane for ants? The plane will need to be at least... 3 times bigger than that.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:06 AM   #1017
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth noting a Canada Jetlines A320 is on the way to us right now from YYZ. First revenue flight is September 22nd.

https://www.flightradar24.com/CJL120/2d7ca94d
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 08:39 AM   #1018
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
So, uh, if we start moving to electric planes as well, where are all the minerals and such going to come from for all these electric cars/planes/etc.? The moon?
Where are all the minerals coming from for the fossil fuel planes and why has no one ever cared?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:11 AM   #1019
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Where are all the minerals coming from for the fossil fuel planes and why has no one ever cared?
Jet engines, converting dead dinosaurs into glorious noise since the late 1930's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 10:29 AM   #1020
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty big news with De Havilland Canada announcing plans to build a manufacturing facility for their aircraft just east of the city.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/v...1mZVk-yvBnzvcc
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: