Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Car detailing

Any recommendations on where to have a car detailed in Calgary? Looking for the works: interior, exterior, and possibly a wax. Don't want to break the bank on it, but willing to pay for a quality job.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Sunshine Car Wash in Palliser Parkade is the best I've tried so far.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Renne at Chatelaine Auto Spa did an unreal job on a used Rig truck I bought, full inside and outside detail as well as a fumigation.

http://www.chatelaineautospa.com
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can vouch for Renee as well, she has gone over two of my vehicles (both black) and they came out absolutely flawless....unfortunately her shop was a victim of the downturn, she's now working at the Bentley dealership....but the detail rates there are pretty reasonable....with Renee doing all the work
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might find some good ideas in here.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=95806

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=94477

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=79344

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was in a really tight bind (spray paint all over my In-Laws car...) Jed Bouscal of http://mobilereflections.ca/ was able to get every single speck of it off. He provides service at your place, or takes your car away to his.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

i know of a uni student that is getting one off the ground right now. Genuine dude that seems to have a good reputation...

Cody Steele @

Cody Steele
403-918-4966
www.dirtcheapdetail.com

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
I can vouch for Renee as well, she has gone over two of my vehicles (both black) and they came out absolutely flawless....unfortunately her shop was a victim of the downturn, she's now working at the Bentley dealership....but the detail rates there are pretty reasonable....with Renee doing all the work
this made me chuckle a little bit.........personally i really dig doing my own vehicles so it would be hard for me to spend money to have someone else do this work for me, but i'd occasionally think it would be nice to take it to the spa
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Renne at Chatelaine Auto Spa did an unreal job on a used Rig truck I bought, full inside and outside detail as well as a fumigation.

http://www.chatelaineautospa.com
I think they would laugh at me if I showed up there with my dusty, paint-chipped mazda.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
this made me chuckle a little bit.........personally i really dig doing my own vehicles so it would be hard for me to spend money to have someone else do this work for me, but i'd occasionally think it would be nice to take it to the spa
I generally do all the detailing on my vehicles, but I when you need to do a cut polish on a black vehicle, probably better left to the professionals...I hate halos!
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

After cleaning and polishing my rims this weekend just thought I would pop in and see what products people use. Cleaning them is a pain in the ass and very time consuming but they look sweet when they are done!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love detailing vehicles; it's therapeutic to me and sets me free. If I were up there I would do a killer job for dirt cheap to help out a bud.

I will also let you know that not every detail is the same. It's however not that hard to do right if you have the time. For me it takes me 8 hours from start to finish to just wash and use one coat of polish and that's before I even put a sealer on it and not even putting wax on it yet.

Make sure that your detailer uses a dual action buffer, those do a great job and are easy to use and it's very hard to put swirl marks into your paint with it. Ask them what kind of materials they will use (microfiber, Microfiber and MICROFIBER!)

anyways a good forum to use would be

Www.autogeek.net they have a great forum on there that will give you an idea how to do things and it would be a good investment to purchase some items and learn how to do it. I charge $300+ per car to do it now and I do one a month or so. That isn't much but it's good pocket change and it's just fun.

ian
Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
When I was in a really tight bind (spray paint all over my In-Laws car...) Jed Bouscal of http://mobilereflections.ca/ was able to get every single speck of it off. He provides service at your place, or takes your car away to his.
Looks like a decent service. Unfortunately the earliest I can get in is the end of June.

I'll give the Bentley dealer a call and see what the rates are. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I love detailing vehicles; it's therapeutic to me and sets me free. If I were up there I would do a killer job for dirt cheap to help out a bud.
Ugh. I hate it. I'd rather be driving it or working on it. Don't know why but cleaning them was never my niche. If you were at least on this side of the country (say Nevada, or even the coastline) I could be convinced to take a road trip to get er' detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
I think they would laugh at me if I showed up there with my dusty, paint-chipped mazda.
I doubt it. I'm sure they'd take your money and laugh when you were out of the shop. Wait. Are you saying I shouldn't take my dusty paint chiped Jimmy there?

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 05-24-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anybody been to Chippy for getting paint chips repaired? The entire front end of my Subaru looks like crap (bad year for paint, I guess).
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

My old beast smells a little funny inside. Thinking mildew or something assorted with water. A lot of these places are good with the detailing, but I can do that myself. Any recommendations on someone for the smell side of things?!

edit: I'd also like the ventilation system cleaned out, but maybe that's involved in the above anyways?

Last edited by Frequitude; 05-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

What exactly can be done with a detailing? They can get out surface scratches? What about scratches in the plastic of a bump. Can they smooth those out? Also, how much does detailing typically cost?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Also, how much does detailing typically cost?
Calling around this week I've been given quotes ranging from $380 to $500. That's interior/exterior however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude
My old beast smells a little funny inside. Thinking mildew or something assorted with water.
First things first, is the source fixed? If it's water related and the source of water is still present, getting the smell out will last for a limited time.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Calling around this week I've been given quotes ranging from $380 to $500. That's interior/exterior however.

First things first, is the source fixed? If it's water related and the source of water is still present, getting the smell out will last for a limited time.
No idea. I've never seen a water leak...just describing the smell. I have no idea what the source is! I'd love to figure this out myself because I have the time and no money.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Along these lines, any recommendations on renting a steam cleaner for doing my car? The Safeway ones are clunky and expensive.

Man, look what you've gone and done. Now I'm getting ambitious...