Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2023, 10:33 AM   #321
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sidenote, U2's drummer won't be playing the Vegas stint. I think that leaves Green Day as the longest running band with all original members since Dusty Hill died, Aerosmith doesn't want Joey Kramer back and Mick Mars retired.

We had a bit of a discussion on this before, I might be forgetting someone.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 03:32 PM   #322
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Does that disqualify U2 from the discussion? I wasn't privy to whatever the original discussion was, but he's only missing the dates due to back surgery, not leaving the band.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #323
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Amigo the Devil is opening for Clutch April 27th at Mac Hall

The Interrupters April 26 at Mac Hall but it's sold out already.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-08-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:23 PM   #324
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interrupters are coming with Frank Turner and Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music). Gonna be a wicked show.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #325
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I also noticed Turnstile are coming but they're opening for Blink. I recall people talking about what a hot ticket Blink was so I figured there'd be nothing left.

Turns out it's not nearly as popular as I thought. Seems like half the seats in the dome are up for sale. Granted most of them resale but even direct from ticketmaster there's still entire rows available, including on the floor. I don't even think the floor is half sold.

Was the entire ticket allotment bough up by scalpers or what? Figured tickets were expensive enough that margins would be slim.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:43 PM   #326
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Sidenote, U2's drummer won't be playing the Vegas stint. I think that leaves Green Day as the longest running band with all original members since Dusty Hill died, Aerosmith doesn't want Joey Kramer back and Mick Mars retired.

Not rock but Abba maybe?
Old 03-08-2023, 11:42 PM   #327
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I also noticed Turnstile are coming but they're opening for Blink. I recall people talking about what a hot ticket Blink was so I figured there'd be nothing left.

Turns out it's not nearly as popular as I thought. Seems like half the seats in the dome are up for sale. Granted most of them resale but even direct from ticketmaster there's still entire rows available, including on the floor. I don't even think the floor is half sold.

Was the entire ticket allotment bough up by scalpers or what? Figured tickets were expensive enough that margins would be slim.
Did you click on prices? Anyone who was following the map during the pre and general sale knows it was hot. I watched each section start out blue with every seat disappearing within seconds as they came up. Then sections would add a few more seats in various rows and they'd disappears within seconds.

I've been following the frustrations of this tour a bit online and while some of it is the same as other major tours, there seems to be two things that were way more pronounced on Blink's tour.

1. Verified resale appeared at ludicrous prices immediately after the general sale. Now this isn't uncommon, but with Blink the sheer number was insane. I mean just look at all the pink on the map right now.

But these aren't tickets that may not have butts in seats, they're just people/companies fishing for crazy prices and they'll come down until they're sold

2. Their "platinum" tickets were way more plentiful then other big shows, like absurdly widespread. Just click on any of the blue dots on the map and see what they're charging.

Sections 213-223 in the back half of the Dome are mostly $332
The 100 sections in the lower bowl mostly $450-$950
The floor $400 (at the very back of the floor as there is the "Pit" in front of floor seating) - $950.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:43 PM   #328
jayswin

Exp:

The craziest is the verified resale near the front of floor seating. Most resellers have come down to $1200-$2500 per ticket. But many started at around $5k each. And the floor seating is behind the huge general admission area.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:11 AM   #329
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Did you click on prices? Anyone who was following the map during the pre and general sale knows it was hot. I watched each section start out blue with every seat disappearing within seconds as they came up. Then sections would add a few more seats in various rows and they'd disappears within seconds.

I've been following the frustrations of this tour a bit online and while some of it is the same as other major tours, there seems to be two things that were way more pronounced on Blink's tour.

1. Verified resale appeared at ludicrous prices immediately after the general sale. Now this isn't uncommon, but with Blink the sheer number was insane. I mean just look at all the pink on the map right now.

But these aren't tickets that may not have butts in seats, they're just people/companies fishing for crazy prices and they'll come down until they're sold

2. Their "platinum" tickets were way more plentiful then other big shows, like absurdly widespread. Just click on any of the blue dots on the map and see what they're charging.

Sections 213-223 in the back half of the Dome are mostly $332
The 100 sections in the lower bowl mostly $450-$950
The floor $400 (at the very back of the floor as there is the "Pit" in front of floor seating) - $950.
How hot was it really if half the people are trying to sell their tickets? Seems like a big chunk of people would rather make some easy money than go. Either that or like I said it’s mostly just scalpers.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:55 AM   #330
jayswin

Exp:

Yep, insane amount of scalpers, charging absurd amounts.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:37 PM   #331
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only thing that's changed is the scalping now goes through Ticketmaster so they get their cut.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:53 PM   #332
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Sloan is playing tonight at Dickens. Also sold out. I’m not a huge Sloan fan or anything but it’d be cool seeing them at such a small venue.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #333
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Sloan is playing tonight at Dickens. Also sold out. I’m not a huge Sloan fan or anything but it’d be cool seeing them at such a small venue.

Yeah I was pumped about this one when I heard. Found out too late unfortunately.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:36 PM   #334
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the reason I found out about this (and I am a pretty big Sloan fan- or was, or whatever, anyways I've seen them many times) is I was thinking of them in relation to the conversation above (regarding U2, Green Day etc) on bands that have been intact a long time- I believe sloan (although obviously a small scale band on the global stage- they are playing Dickens after all) has been a pretty stable 4 man collective for a long time- anyways in thinking about them this afternoon I looked them up and saw the sold out Dickens gig

the best time I saw them was likely either at the Bronx in Edmonton (the internet tells me that would have been Nov of 92) which would have been in support of Smeared a few weeks after it came out (and which I recall featured a lip synched version of Duran Duran's Planet Earth as part of the Encore) or the show in Halifax where they played Twice Removed front to back in 2010 as part of Halifax Pop Explosion
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 07:46 PM   #335
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

The Cure announced a tour for this spring/summer. Vancouver, TO, Montreal only Canadian dates.

Very strange that it’s soon, starts in 8 weeks. Most acts seem to announce 6-18 months in advance nowadays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 11:51 PM   #336
jayswin

Exp:

Great Eagle concerts that may have been missed. For those looking for a fun, cheaper show to catch.

Megadeath, Bullet for my Valentine - Tuesday, May 2
REO Speedwagon - Thursday, May 4
George Thorogood - Friday, May 5
Walk Off Earth - Saturday, May 6
Theory of a Deadman - Thursday, May 11
Death Cab for Cutie - Monday, June 12
Vanilla Ice+ more - Friday, July 28
Boyz II Men - Thursday, August 3
Milky Chance - Thursday, August 24
Old 03-10-2023, 09:36 AM   #337
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I was at the Sloan show last night, decent show, new music heavy with hits only coming out the last 6/7 songs.

They brought Dave Foley onstage for underwhelmed at the end of the night.

I got to meet Dave after the show. I asked him if he was disappointed that they didn’t do a “Brand New Key” cover (low key reference to the latest season of Kids in the Hall). I got a decent chuckle out of him.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 10:53 AM   #338
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was also at Sloan last night and thought it was a pretty great couple of sets. I've seen them a couple times but it's honestly been probably 20 years or so. I have a hard time thinking of many other rock bands that have as many consistently good hooks and harmonies as Sloan. Pretty cool having Dave Foley right beside us haha.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 06:38 PM   #339
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Cure announced a tour for this spring/summer. Vancouver, TO, Montreal only Canadian dates.

Very strange that it’s soon, starts in 8 weeks. Most acts seem to announce 6-18 months in advance nowadays.
thanks for the tip by the way . Hollywood bowl here we come. tickets very not expensive all things considered
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 07:32 PM   #340
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post

Los Lobos is largely unchanged for 40+ years. Louie left the drum kit to play guitar, so they have had new drummers. The main core is still intact since 1982.

Radiohead? 1985

Sloan 30+ years.

Green Day - Tre Cool not an original member, joined in 1990. Jason White joined the band in 2012.

Last edited by troutman; 03-15-2023 at 07:45 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , concerts , western canada