Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #261
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Me? No.

Tanev made his own case. Clearly he was medically cleared to play, wanted to play...so he played.

Happens on every team, every year, at every professional level and believe it or not, in almost every contact sport.

This is nothing new.

I mean one of the most famous stories in Stanley cup history is Bobby Baun coming back into a game to score the cup winning goal..after his leg was broken.
Just to add to your point, no one had any issues with Shane Wright playing through his injury for the U18's

It's so common
Old 05-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #262
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the injury talk in this thread amusing when in another thread about Kucherov he should be playing well before the typical time for that medical procedure. Players will play if they can, but I am sure the doctors have the final say if it will makes things worse or if it is too soon.

Last edited by Robbob; 05-20-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #263
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I find the injury talk in this thread amusing when in another thread about Kucherov he should be playing well before the typical time for that medical procedure. Players will play if they can, but I am sure the doctors have the final say if it will makes things worse or if it is too soon.
The perennial failure of this organization has us all on edge and we can become easily outraged if triggered.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #264
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nothing really new. He thinks it was a good team that underachieved. Says that and then says while he thinks it’s good but not good enough so changes need to be made.
This is just garbage. We are not a good team. We are a terrible team that played in the weakest division in the NHL.

If we had to play the US teams all year we would be at the bottom of the standings. It would be pure annihilation.

Has Brad not watched the opening games of the playoffs south of the border? Surely he knows we are nowhere close to being able to compete.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #265
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
This is just garbage. We are not a good team. We are a terrible team that played in the weakest division in the NHL.

If we had to play the US teams all year we would be at the bottom of the standings. It would be pure annihilation.

Has Brad not watched the opening games of the playoffs south of the border? Surely he knows we are nowhere close to being able to compete.
I realize this is the day that we all over-react to what is said but we have to remember that 99% of it is bafflegab.

He's not going to come out and say it's a terrible team. He needs to trade these guys, sign these guys and potentially work with these guys next year.

"Boy that sure sucked eh! Whoa - we were BRUTAL this year. How many guys actually had good years? Tanev sure. And Eat Bread was terrific? After that - geez - pretty much awful up and down the lineup. Stinky!"
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #266
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
No one said it was anything new. You're creating a strawman there.

What is being said, is that the team has to catch up with the times, and part of that includes resting players who need rest. No team had fewer man games lost this year:

The fact that the Flames had the "most" guys play through injuries accomplished absolutely nothing, other than probably reducing their performance or increasing their painkiller usage.
WTF are you going on about now?

Im not "creating" anything.

I'm stating the reality of what happens. It is not anything different in Calgary than it is in Jokerit Finland or Moscow Russia.

Players play hurt literally all the time if they have medical clearance and a desire to do so.

You dont like it? OK, that changes nothing about the real world way things happen.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #267
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't see any drop off from Tanev's play to think he was seriously hurt in a way that would suggest shutting him down (unlike Monahan).
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #268
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some positives:

1) Gaudreau wants to re-sign with the Flames. That's great. The Flames look completely listless offensively when he is not on the ice. Hopefully the two sides can come to an understanding. However, no, he did not have to say he wants to re-sign. He could have left it more ambiguously, or even said the usual 'I like playing here, but that's between my agent and the GM'. There is a lot that he could have said that would not really answer the question. He answered it. Still has to work out for him and the team, but he addressed that question head-on, and good for him.

2) I agree with Sutter and some other players - this team was turning it around. I am optimistic to see how they do next season, even before accounting for any changes that are yet (and sure) to be made. Lots of the conversation made me remember Hartley's Flames - how they played with pace, how they were more resilient and committed, how Hartley used to bother them in the off-season and make sure that they were working out hard, how they preached quickness and play at a high tempo. That's a lot of the same things that Darryl either outright said, or that some of the players were saying. Hartley had a crap team, but that team was fun because it played fast and were resilient. Calgary needs a coach like this.

Some negatives:

1) I find it really funny that people think that Seattle wouldn't pick up Giordano if he was left exposed. There is no way they won't. They will pick him up both for his leadership and his on-ice play. It is literally a no-brainer for them. In fact, he is going to leave a really big hole in the lineup, as he is still this team's best defencemen and a pretty damn good captain too. No idea what is going to happen between now and then, but if he isn't here next season, that's going to be a big hole.

2) The area that worries me the most about this team is defence. I really do think that losing Brodie last off-season really hurt this team and its' ability to play a quick style. It appears that now the Flames are also about to lose Giordano. Not too long ago, they also lost Hamilton. That's 3 puck-moving defencemen that are all very mobile with an ability to generate offence in their own ways. Hanifin hasn't been really. Tanev doesn't have a drop of it. Andersson showed that he isn't ready to take a step forward, and you have to hope that he will. Valimaki had a rough year. Nesterov (even if he is re-signed) doesn't have any offence. Kylington is likely trade bait or just un-signed/un-qualified. Mackey had a short sample size - something there for sure, but he is going to be a bottom-pairing D for much of the season. The defence corps leaves you with a lot of 'hope' that they can take a step forward, but that's all you really have. This team is really going to miss Giordano.

I hope that Treliving (if he is still around) doesn't make a panic move to save his job. Don't throw out the baby with the baby water. Make the right choices on who is exiting this team, and who is brought back.

This off-season has a lot of big contracts coming to a head. You can't have either Gaudreau or Tkachuk starting the season as Flames without an extension - if this team is holding a playoff position or even very close, those two won't be traded, and will walk away for nothing either in the off-season (Gaudreau), or possibly by accepting the QO without any intention of re-signing (Tkachuk). He has to figure out if they are part of the solution, and if so, how much they are worth and get them re-signed.

This team has to figure out how to improve their defence.

No need to be an alarmist - I do think that with Darryl at the helm, this team will improve without any changes at all. They need to make moves as improvement isn't satisfactory - either build a contender, or tear it down and rebuild it from scratch. This off-season has to go well. Losing Brodie for nothing last year really hurt.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #269
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Another garbage bag day that seems all too familiar.....minus COVID.....I cannot imagine playing in front of no one. Getting locked the F down. Can't have a beer with your lineages, team mates , coaches , etc.

I'm not making excuses but the mental health of these players this past 2nseasons ....wow unimaginable.

Let's get back to normal and see what happens regardless of the change thats gotta come.

I still really wanna know if Darryl really thinks the blueprint is good here.
He said Brad did good in building this but I'm calling bullshirt.

Get Brad out please. Take Don F in Maloney with ya. This ain't the yotes and why in the flying F this was ever let go for as long as it was is just WOW.

Did Burke walk? I know his contract was up but he really said nothing about the tire fire here.

So many questions? I hope Darryl can do something special with what he gets but boy not an enviable position to be in .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:09 PM   #270
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I’m listening. Lots of words, little of substance or insight.

That little comment implying expectations for the team in light of what Darryl said about them expected to be fighting for the 4th playoff spot and said he knows a bit more about the team due to his length working with them was interesting
I get the sense BT and Darryl aren't on the same page.

Sutter wants a better roster and see obvious flaws in what he was given; BT thinks he has assembled a stronger team that's just underachieving.

I don't see these 2 both here heading into next season.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #271
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Going to be a looooooooong off season

Again
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #272
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why didn't they shut down Tanev after the team was eliminated? Just because he could play through those injuries it doesn't mean he should have once the games stopped mattering. Bizarre stuff.
Should have shut down Monahan sooner as well and gave Bennett a shot. You have to wonder if Monahan's nagging injuries from season to season are from playing while injured. What are the Flames thinking!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #273
LTH
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I want us to make a real pitch Eichel, some how not giving up johnny, lindholm Tkachuk, or Mang. Giving up 2021 1st, 2022 1st, Valimaki, Monahan, and literally anything else they want. If that fails, ship Johnny, Tkachuk, and Monahan out for pick in 2022 and 2023....go for Wright or Bedard or both

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
LTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #274
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the team was better at the end is a false narrative

They still couldn’t beat Ottawa and Montreal when it counted
Two terrible teams

So what if they won a few meaningless games

Shut down Johnny and you shut down the flames and it’s been as easy as taking candy from a baby

Sutter is telling the truth when he said lack of talent
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #275
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
we all agree that's a bad thing, right? just because everybody does it does *not* mean that it's a good thing

we're talking about a guy who literally had a torn pec! he's in the first year of a long contract... do you really want to put yourself in a position where you're risking his health for the final three years of that deal? the Flames may have done just that.

the Flames already chose to play an injured Noah Hanifin this season. they then saw him go out there and almost immediately injure himself even worse, ending his season. they played Monahan through a bad hip injury for months. and for what?

it all just screams recklessness to me.
This is a great post, what the heck are the Flames doing! Could have put some guys on injured reserve freed up some cap.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #276
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Going to be a looooooooong off season

Again
Actually pretty short...Flames won the cup on May 25
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #277
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
I think the team was better at the end is a false narrative

They still couldn’t beat Ottawa and Montreal when it counted
Two terrible teams

So what if they won a few meaningless games

Shut down Johnny and you shut down the flames and it’s been as easy as taking candy from a baby

Sutter is telling the truth when he said lack of talent
They beat Montreal plenty...can't expect a sweep. Sens I will give you.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #278
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
This is a great post, what the heck are the Flames doing! Could have put some guys on injured reserve freed up some cap.
To do what with?

Also, can't put players on LTIR unless its OK'd by physicians saying they cannot play.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #279
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to Brad disagree with Darryl on where expectations for this should have been is telling.

Treliving has fallen in love with his own roster. He, and his pro scouting staff are bad at their jobs in comparison to the rest of the league.

I laughed when Brad mentioned the Capitals as a team that didn’t win until their core was older…like, what? The Capitals were a dominate team that just couldn’t win the big game until their players were older - that is not what is happening here. Holy hell.

He says he didn’t have any expansion problems with Vegas but does now because of team growth. What is he talking about? The team is every bit as bad today as it was then. The players that he has to risk today aren’t difference makers. He doesn’t sound like a GM that is aware his team has won 3 playoff games in the last 6 seasons.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-20-2021 at 05:50 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #280
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
To do what with?

Also, can't put players on LTIR unless its OK'd by physicians saying they cannot play.

Some of his injuries seemed pretty bad he should have been shut down and not just talking about this season. Many here were wondering what was wrong with him this season, clearly his injuries were hampering his play.