Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #3061
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Is it wrong that the only thing that really bothers me about the Synder Cut, is that they will do this, but they won't re-release a version of Ladyhawke with the crap synth techno soundtrack removed and replaced by anything James Horner has lying around the house?
Yes. Because I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #3062
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Is it wrong that the only thing that really bothers me about the Synder Cut, is that they will do this, but they won't re-release a version of Ladyhawke with the crap synth techno soundtrack removed and replaced by anything James Horner has lying around the house?

That soundtrack is part of the charm!
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #3063
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Can't wait for the reviews of the Snyder cut, assuming this is in conversation with the best of Snyder's career.

"An improvement, at least."

"Watchable."

"Decidedly average, which is better than it was."

"It was free, so it's hard to complain."

"FIVE STARS.... out of 10. It was ok."

"A movie."
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #3064
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Can't wait for the reviews of the Snyder cut, assuming this is in conversation with the best of Snyder's career.

"An improvement, at least."

"Watchable."

"Decidedly average, which is better than it was."

"It was free, so it's hard to complain."

"FIVE STARS.... out of 10. It was ok."

"A movie."
Oh no man...those reviews were bought and paid for eons in advance.

Remember the WW84 reviews? Reading those you'd think that movie was a pioneer in cinema as opposed to unwatchable drivel.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #3065
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm mildly excited for SnyderCut as I got about 15 minutes into JL before turning it off, so I'll at least get what it was supposed to be without being tainted by the original.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #3066
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are people pretending that Zac Snyder isn't a hack? Why do people care about his cut of a film?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #3067
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why are people pretending that Zac Snyder isn't a hack? Why do people care about his cut of a film?
I think that people care about the 80 year old history of the characters that Snyder was given care of, to portray on film. He had a certain legacy to uphold, and there is a very real swell of hope and goodwill that he can produce something worthy of the faith. There is also a greater wealth of sadness and backlash should he fail. So, good luck Zach. You will deserve whatever is coming to you, positive or negative.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #3068
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think on a human level people have empathy for what happened to Snyder. Even if you're not a fan of his work, he and his family went through alot so its personal to him and his fans. Imagine in the darkest hour of your life having something you have worked years for being ripped from your hands and given to someone else. Him finally being able to show the world his film is in someway cathodic for him.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:58 PM   #3069
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I think on a human level people have empathy for what happened to Snyder. Even if you're not a fan of his work, he and his family went through alot so its personal to him and his fans. Imagine in the darkest hour of your life having something you have worked years for being ripped from your hands and given to someone else. Him finally being able to show the world his film is in someway cathodic for him.
1. Thats not a thing. Seriously.

2. I get where you're coming from...but theres no nice way to put this.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #3070
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I know Snyder gets a "style over substance" label, but I've personally enjoyed most of his work.

Batman v. Superman was bad enough to shake me, but I'm open to see if he can course correct it a bit.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #3071
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
1. Thats not a thing. Seriously.

2. I get where you're coming from...but theres no nice way to put this.
He's obviously meaning cathartic. You mean to say his artwork isn't a form of catharsis? It almost certainly is.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #3072
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Also, I know Snyder gets a "style over substance" label, but I've personally enjoyed most of his work.

Batman v. Superman was bad enough to shake me, but I'm open to see if he can course correct it a bit.
And I'm saying that hes getting a 4-year mulligan.

He made most of it, saw it torn to shreds critically, and then got 4 years to re-make it.

This isnt 'The Snyder Cut' this is the "Snyder Re-Make with years of hindsight and criticism."

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 05:03 PM   #3073
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I'm saying that hes getting a 4-year mulligan.

He made most of it, saw it torn to shreds critically, and then got 4 years to re-make it.

This isnt 'The Snyder Cut' this is the "Snyder Re-Make with years of hindsight and criticism."
Maybe. That could still mean it's better than it was. And so what? WB's paying for it not us...so.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #3074
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Maybe. That could still mean it's better than it was. And so what? WB's paying for it not us...so.
Thats what I said a few posts ago! I hope its good. It should be good! But if it is then we're going to be inundated with nonsense about Joss Whedon and WB and on and on and if they'd just released it as Snyder's vision it would have been so much better!!!

Which is complete BS.

Thats all I'm saying. This isnt his 'Original Vision.' This is a 'Get out of Jail Free' card movie re-made with years of hindsight.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #3075
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thats what I said a few posts ago! I hope its good. It should be good! But if it is then we're going to be inundated with nonsense about Joss Whedon and WB and on and on and if they'd just released it as Snyder's vision it would have been so much better!!!

Which is complete BS.

Thats all I'm saying. This isnt his 'Original Vision.' This is a 'Get out of Jail Free' card movie re-made with years of hindsight.
Yeah I dunno. I can't speak to the original much, as mentioned I couldn't get through more than a few scenes of terrible editing. But as long as there's no Superstache issue, it has to be better....right?
Old 01-29-2021, 05:11 PM   #3076
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

“I will say that in the end it’s going to probably be about four minutes or five minutes of additional photography for the entire movie,” Snyder said

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collide...ck-snyder/amp/

So in the whole movie after 4 years he's adding only 4-5 minutes. It's basically going to be his original vision he wanted to release in 2017.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:19 PM   #3077
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

In 20 years will we all have to talk about revision numbers of our favorite movies?

"Oh man Avengers: Yet Another Global Threat was awesome"

"Which version?"

"2.1 of course!"

"Nonsense, the classic version 1's are the true plot, and 1.8 is the best of that!"

Revisions are the new sequel, how to get everyone to pay for the same movie over and over.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 05:19 PM   #3078
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t understand the need to build goalposts in advance in case it’s good. It’s like if the Book Ending of GoT is good or different saying well Martin got to test drive it first so it doesn’t count.

If it’s good it’s good and will be enjoyable entertainment

If he could release a Snyder Cur of Batman vs Superman to fix that one it would be helpful as well.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #3079
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
“I will say that in the end it’s going to probably be about four minutes or five minutes of additional photography for the entire movie,” Snyder said

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collide...ck-snyder/amp/

So in the whole movie after 4 years he's adding only 4-5 minutes. It's basically going to be his original vision he wanted to release in 2017.
I'm thinking it's more that he's putting back in stuff that was cut out for Whedon's re-shoots (ie, its not additional photography).

Basically anything with Superman's lip, quippy Whedon-esque dialogue was added in after he left. They also apparently cut out pretty much all of Cyborgs story arc.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #3080
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is, if this works, maybe they'll fix the ending of the Mass Effect remaster. So I'm rooting for Zack.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: