Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #1221
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Now I'm kind of worried about Xbox One shortages...Whats the damn point of me pre-ordering 5 months in advance if I can't get it on the first day??

I've been thinking about just going and lining up Friday morning before work and buying 2 Xbox One's from Future Shop....I'll just put them on Kijiji and subsidize my own Xbox One...if there is going to be a shortage...might as well get some benefit out of it...

Xbox One #1: Buy for $525...sell for $650 - bank $125
Xbox One #2: Buy for $525...sell for $650 - bank $125

Own Xbox One: Buy for $525 - $250 = $275 for the new console....GET AT ME BRO!

Lol.
If in fact half of the allotment for the country has been cut... there will be no consoles available in stores. They will all be taken up by pre-orders.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #1222
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly it has easily been cut in half. Our walmarts combined are under 60 and Futureshop has like 40. Granted we are smaller but it seems very low.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #1223
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I would venture to guess a lot of people who buy these consoles don't read gaming sites all the time. It's logical to assume the PS4 would do most if not all of what the PS3 already did in terms of media funtionality. And its not like Sony was really actively adverstising the fact that they removed most of the media capabilities people were already used to having in the previous console. The back of my PS3 box says "It only does everything". Does the PS4 say "It only does some things"? In all the outrage against Microsoft, Sony gets away with removing basic media capabilities that people have grown accustomed to.
There is a vast difference between removing features, and features that are simply not working yet.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #1224
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anybody has had the rare problem:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...mediately.aspx

“There have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units,” a Sony representative tells Game Informer. “We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping. The number of affected PS4 systems is less than 1%, which represents a very small percentage of total units shipped to date and is within the expected range for a new product introduction.

We inquired about repair and replacement times for those consumers that choose to approach Sony directly rather than attempt a fix through a retailer. The representative gave us some good news.

“SCEA is exchanging units with new replacements for those who call our support line,” he says. “The exchanges are immediate with expedited shipping.”

Our Take
Defective units are a fact of any mass market electronics launch, and having it fixed quickly is the second-best thing to not needing repair or replacement at all. If your retailer can’t help you with an immediate exchange, call Sony support and you should be up and running quickly.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #1225
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
There is a vast difference between removing features, and features that are simply not working yet.
Agreed. I'm sure there are many things that would be deemed low priority for launch so they're just left off the launch "to-do" list. My guess is things like media centre and mp3 playback are things a relatively low number of gamers use. They'll be back, just might have to give it some time.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1226
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually have two XBox One's pre-ordered.

Had ordered the Day One Edition from Best Buy (charged for that one already and will likely keep it), but also took advantage of the special offer that Shop.ca had ($25 sign up credit, $15 promo code, 20% cash back with e.Bates) but that doesn't ship until December 2nd.

If anybody is still looking for one as of December 2nd I will most likely just let it go for regular retail cost to a CP member.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1227
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Apparently it may be patched in as a feature, but right now no 3D movies out of the box
Yeah that thought crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if it was the type of thing that could be 'patched in'. Would seem like it would have more to do with the hardware.

But I guess you just teaching the program how to read the code and then display in a three dimensional fashion. As long as the TV can display it, you could make the graphics look however you want.

Oh well, I hope we see it in the future.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #1228
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Agreed. I'm sure there are many things that would be deemed low priority for launch so they're just left off the launch "to-do" list. My guess is things like media centre and mp3 playback are things a relatively low number of gamers use. They'll be back, just might have to give it some time.
The only reason they'll be back is because consumers made a fuss about it. Its not like it was Sony's original intent to bring these things in eventually, otherwise they probably would've stated as such.
Their original FAQ flat out said the PS4 doesn't support DNLA, and now its been updated to say "thanks to your feedback our engineers are looking at the potential to bring this feature to PS4". It makes perfect sense strategically as they wanted people to rent or buy movies via the PSN, and stream music via their subscription music service. Let's not pretent Sony were always going to add this feature eventually...they are only responding to the criticism.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1229
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like the Xbox launch day will be completely different than the PS4? I picked up my pre-order around 9:45 AM at Futureshop and they still had unreserved ones available for sale. Doesn't sound like it will be the same for Futureshop. Very interesting.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #1230
C Squared
Backup Goalie

Exp:

FYI Walmart Canada has PS4's back in stock if anybody is looking for one....

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playstat.../6000107996905
C Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C Squared For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #1231
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #1232
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post
Redflagdeals is leaking next week's Futureshop flyer - looks like people are anticipating a lot of available stock by then as well. Apparently should be able to order online again and pickup instore within 24 hours.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1233
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 update 1.51 coming later tonight. (To be honest, I'd probably wait til the following day in case there are any problems.)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...1-coming-soon/
Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1234
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #1235
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long but Giantbomb is always fun for "quick" looks.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #1236
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playstat.../6000107996905
...and sold out again. Good tip though while it lasted.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #1237
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Long but Giantbomb is always fun for "quick" looks.
Those guys are great - love their pod.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #1238
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

IGN Xbone unboxing

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/19/...n-conversation
Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #1239
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It begins!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/20/m...ox-one-review/

Forza Motorsport 5
Forza is one of two first-party graphics powerhouses from Microsoft meant to dazzle new Xbox One owners. And if you aren't dazzled by Forza's gorgeous lineup of cars, something has gone seriously wrong. Consult an optometrist. Thankfully, in addition to looks, Forza Motorsport 5 is excellent, if not a touch too serious. It's still a driving simulation first and foremost, but in-game driving assists and recognizable cars make its depth of simulation easy to skip past.

Dead Rising 3
Of all the launch games we played on Xbox One, Dead Rising 3 feels the most underdone. Animations are awkward and dialogue is terrible. Nothing about it feels like a finished product, and at $60 it's a seriously hard sell. Don't waste your time: Skip over this empty zombie action game.

Ryse: Son of Rome
Ryse might be the most graphically impressive game on any next-gen game console. More excitingly, it's got engaging combat and uses the Kinect effectively (the occasional shouted troop command). Graphical prowess is used for acting, combat animation and showing off the glory of (fake) Ancient Rome. It's an easy game to get caught up looking around at how gorgeous everything is visually, and it's right there with Forza (and beyond) as a showcase for graphics on the Xbox One.

Crimson Dragon
Not long after the PlayStation 3 arrived, a dragon-flying game named Lair launched to critical disdain. You'd think the subsequent console launch wouldn't feature yet another dragon-flying game. It does; only this time it's named Crimson Dragon. It's not pretty; it's not very fun; and it doesn't do anything particularly interesting with the Xbox One's tech. Crimson Dragon is squarely with Dead Rising 3 in the category of "Not Worth Your Time or Money."

Killer Instinct
Given that it's free, Killer Instinct is hard to turn down. To unlock the rest of the game's characters, though, you've gotta plunk down some more dough. We think you'll find that a few fights with Jago and you'll be in for more money and more punching fights with werewolves. Killer Instinct isn't the best or prettiest fighting game we've ever played, but it owns its silliness and has a shockingly deep combo system. Beware of that ultra-hard CPU difficulty setting: It's a doozy!

The Xbox One may not be exactly what Microsoft thinks it is, but it's still a strong start for a powerful game console. Its sheer speed, versatility, horsepower and its ability to turn on and off with words make it a relatively seamless entry into our already crowded media center. What determines whether it stays there is the next 12 months: Exclusives like Titanfall and Quantum Break will help, as will gaining feature parity with the competition (we're looking at you, game broadcasting!). For broader success beyond just the early adopter's living room, the NFL crowd must buy in to Microsoft's $500 box. But will they? That remains to be seen. What's there so far is a very competent game box with an expensive camera and only a few exclusive games differentiating it from the competition.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #1240
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

7.8 from theverge

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5...box-one-review

When Microsoft says it's building a console for the next decade, it's not lying. Where the PlayStation 4 is designed to simply become an ever-better version of itself, the Xbox One is poised to turn into an entirely different, entirely unprecedented device. It may not only supplement, but replace your cable box; it could have a rich, full app store; games are only going to get better, more impressive, and more interactive. The blueprints are all here. Virtually everything Microsoft is trying to do is smart, practical, and forward-thinking — even as they've undone some of the Xbox One's most future-proof innovation over the last few months, Marc Whitten and his team at Microsoft have clearly kept their heads in the future.

But nearly everything that could be great someday isn't great right now. The Kinect is an incredible piece of raw machinery and engineering, but it's not implemented well into games, nor does its voice control provide a truly fast, seamless way to navigate the operating system. The TV integration is an awkward hodgepodge of menus and overlays and dead ends. There's a massive opportunity for Windows apps to turn the Xbox into something no one could have imagined, but it's as yet gone unexplored. Some of these are easily solved problems, but others — cable integration in particular — are a much steeper uphill climb.

Today, the Xbox One is a great gaming console with a few great games — Zoo Tycoon and Forza are both excellent, better than anything currently available for the PS4, and Dead Rising is a blast even if it’s flawed. Whether or not the Xbox is better than the PS4 is entirely subjective: if you're committed to buying a console this holiday season, buy the one with the games you want. It's too soon to make a call on almost any other feature. Don't buy an Xbox One expecting to immediately throw out your entertainment center.

The Xbox One is here for a decade. If Microsoft can deliver on all its promises in that time, it will have built a console truly worthy of Input One — but that's a big if.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: