Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #841
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll have my wife contact you with angry letters. But big thanks from me for letting me know this place exists!!
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #842
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are they a reseller of Lego of sorts? Do they jack up the price on some of the out of stock sets?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #843
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Are they a reseller of Lego of sorts? Do they jack up the price on some of the out of stock sets?
The guy who owns Brick Bin is named Tony, I don't have any affiliation whatsoever, but I do ask a lot of questions

Last time I asked, he didn't have an account with Lego. I recall he said it's something like a minimum $10k/month order with them and you don't actually get a choice of what is on the pallet. $10k seemed low to me. For comparison Jeff from Video Game Trader once told me Nintendo wants $100k/month in orders which is why he uses a middleman distributor from the states for Nintendo products.

Brick Bin Tony buys a lot of collections, and gets a lot stuff weekly. I'll be taking my collection there one of these days. I was going to sell it piece by piece on Facebook/Kijiji/CP or whatever.....but I just don't have the energy for that, so the 20-30% haircut (which is what I'll settle for) is worth it.

Anecdotally, I think a huge challenge for any retailer like this is stock. You don't have stock? You don't have customers. I got the sense at one point around Christmas he was buying product from Lego at retail prices and selling it for 10% more. I don't remember how I came to that, I think he may have mentioned it even?

He was just cleaned right out after a huge surge in Lego demand--whether that's because of covid, the novelty of this new store, or what, I don't know.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 04-05-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #844
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
No, I have no idea what I'm doing. He said he wanted a Lego garbage truck and saw that set when we googled "Lego garbage truck". Ill go check those out though.
I got my son this set:

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/g...ATCH_ALL_BRAND

On a similar request. They had if at Costco before Christmas in a 2 pack with something else (a car iirc).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #845
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I got my son this set:

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/g...ATCH_ALL_BRAND

On a similar request. They had if at Costco before Christmas in a 2 pack with something else (a car iirc).
No dice. It must have forks on the front to lift a dumpster.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #846
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. Thought it was worth a try. My 5 year old has been know to make pretty specific vehicle-toy requests as well.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #847
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought an used set from Brick Bin a few weeks ago. They mentioned if anything was missing, just come back.

My set was unfortunately missing a minifig and some key pieces. I went back and luckily they still had another set for sale, so I was able to replace the missing pieces.

Great that they were able to do that for me, I'm not sure what the option was if they didn't have another set as they wouldn't be able to replace the minifig.

I've been thinking of taking some of my older in-demand sets in to trade. I'm not sure what the cut will be but may be worth it to save the hassle of selling online.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #848
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been following Brick Bin on social media for awhile, but am worried my wallet might have a heart attack in there. Looks like an awesome store, though.

I spent some hours on the weekend, while my son was building/playing, going through my bin of old lego pulling out sets I still have instructions for. I forgot how much of the old classic Space lego I had. Missing some parts, but came across a guy on e-bay selling a whole lot of classic Space lego parts. I think once I get everything sorted, I'll take my list down to BrickBin and see what I can find there.

I still have no idea where my King's Castle is. My folks think I might have sold it, but I don't remember doing that. Fingers crossed it shows up somewhere at their place, as I know my son will LOVE it.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #849
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I spent some hours on the weekend, while my son was building/playing, going through my bin of old lego pulling out sets I still have instructions for. I forgot how much of the old classic Space lego I had. Missing some parts, but came across a guy on e-bay selling a whole lot of classic Space lego parts. I think once I get everything sorted, I'll take my list down to BrickBin and see what I can find there.
That's something I really should do one of these days.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #850
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I've been following Brick Bin on social media for awhile, but am worried my wallet might have a heart attack in there. Looks like an awesome store, though.

I still have no idea where my King's Castle is. My folks think I might have sold it, but I don't remember doing that. Fingers crossed it shows up somewhere at their place, as I know my son will LOVE it.
It looked like their Used items were very reasonably priced, however I find some of the sealed sets on the high side compared to bricklink, even with taking into account shipping costs.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #851
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You should be able to get the instructions for the desired set online. It has been a while, but I think Lego has them on their website for free.

I have that set and, honestly, I think that the arms on the truck is the worst aspect of it because the arms don’t fold out of the way—they just awkwardly sit there, straight out. Not particularly realistic. So my truck doesn’t have the arms and those parts just stay in a ziplock bag.

The parts to build the truck are basic legos, aside from maybe the garbage collection container in the back. If you don’t care about the orange color, it might be easier to find the necessary parts.

If you built it yourself, perhaps engineer a way for the arms to fold up and away while the truck is in “drive” mode. It would make for a more realistic model.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #852
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
You should be able to get the instructions for the desired set online. It has been a while, but I think Lego has them on their website for free.

I have that set and, honestly, I think that the arms on the truck is the worst aspect of it because the arms don’t fold out of the way—they just awkwardly sit there, straight out. Not particularly realistic. So my truck doesn’t have the arms and those parts just stay in a ziplock bag.

The parts to build the truck are basic legos, aside from maybe the garbage collection container in the back. If you don’t care about the orange color, it might be easier to find the necessary parts.

If you built it yourself, perhaps engineer a way for the arms to fold up and away while the truck is in “drive” mode. It would make for a more realistic model.
My 4 year old doesn't listen to reason
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #853
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

There's also a Toy Story garbage truck out there (7599) if you can track that down.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:27 PM   #854
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody collecting the Looney Tunes Minifigures? I have some duplicates I'd sell or trade.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #855
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found a bunch of these of 80's lunar baseplates at a thrift shop for $1 each.

any of you into space lego that needs a couple?

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #856
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I found a bunch of these of 80's lunar baseplates at a thrift shop for $1 each.

any of you into space lego that needs a couple?

Sweet. I bought four for my space monorail maybe 18 months-two years ago, but the yellowed wear was too contrasting with the grey base plates I had and it looked bad. I certainly didn't pay a buck.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #857
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never tried it, but there are methods to renew yellowed plastics with hydrogen peroxide. Might work well for these. I think you just put it on, then leave it in the sun. Might be worth Googling...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #858
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I think they’re running out of ideas for new sets.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #859
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'd probably buy a Nike Air Jordan 1 if they made a set of that.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #860
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'd probably buy a Nike Air Jordan 1 if they made a set of that.
I bet a lot of sneakerheads buy two to get a pair. Smart move, LEGO.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules