Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #441
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Absent either Monahan or Backlund, you have some dollars for a decent RW.

I am only half joking but what if they try Kylington on RW? It’s not like it’s never been done. Wendel Clark, Brendan Smith, Pysyk, Mike Matheson, etc.
But the UFA RW's available this year are, at best, a very weak group.

Palmieri and then a whole lot of....no thanks.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #442
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

You could try and trade either one for a RW at a similar cap hit, which would be a very good RW.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #443
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Could look to Nashville. Arvidsson and Jarnkrok? Hyman is also a UFA isn’t he? Could he be a good signing?

The team as a whole is in a weird spot. How do they become more competitive this coming year? Even if we do manage to pull in Eichel for Tkachuk + 1st + Zary, the gaps left in the roster up front are still sizeable without a clear path to correcting it…unless you double down even further and are willing to leverage the future more?

Spend futures and build a roster worth actually maintaining and then worry about maintaining it at a future date? Or just shuffle along hoping we hit a home run and find a gem in the mid part of the draft?

If the core up front is Eichel, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Monahan and Mangiapane…I think that’s pretty good, and may even be good enough assuming you can actually win some of those trades where you leverage the future. The biggest problem this team has is that they leveraged the future on absolute loser trades. Elliott, Lazar, Hamonic - they all did nothing/underperformed here, and are gone.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-23-2021 at 12:31 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #444
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you turn Tkachuk (plus futures) into Eichel, assuming it's a healthy Eichel, that move alone significantly improves the overall roster. I like Chucky, but a turning a slow footed albeit skilled/gritty left winger into a a speedy, electric elite #1C is a massive improvement in my books.

That's not even considering the likelihood that Gaudreau sees a big jump in production not having to always be THE guy on offense.

Then you bring back a healthy Sean Monahan and give him better match ups as the #2C.

I'd go after Hyman in free agency too. Jack of all trades that compliments the top 6 very well, and Sutter would probably love having him.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Hyman
Mangiapane - Monahan - Lindholm

That's a very strong top 6
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #445
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If you turn Tkachuk (plus futures) into Eichel, assuming it's a healthy Eichel, that move alone significantly improves the overall roster. I like Chucky, but a turning a slow footed albeit skilled/gritty left winger into a a speedy, electric elite #1C is a massive improvement in my books.

That's not even considering the likelihood that Gaudreau sees a big jump in production not having to always be THE guy on offense.

Then you bring back a healthy Sean Monahan and give him better match ups as the #2C.

I'd go after Hyman in free agency too. Jack of all trades that compliments the top 6 very well, and Sutter would probably love having him.

I'm really sold currently on Hyman being a primary target for Treliving to help in RW support since he's another right handed shot that can score with good linemate support.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #446
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe I’m off my rocker, but I just don’t know if all these knee jerk reactions are necessary.

It was a bad season without a doubt, but there were same bad lineup decisions as well. The 4 new line combos, I mean I didn’t like them from day 1 and it basically went on until game 40 of the season. Overall though, I think the answer to get the team back into the playoffs is in the room. But the answer to get the Flames from in the playoffs to an elite Pacific team will require a new scoring line. But at the same time though, I don’t think the whole roster needs to be overhauled and flipped around here. I think a few important, but measured moves need to be made and a some major holes need to be filled with the proper players.

Here are the qualms I have with a lot that’s being said though:

1. Putting all your eggs into one basket. Lets say the Flames do trade Tkachuk for Eichel, is anyone else a little bit frightened that another Jack Eichel injury that takes him out for 30% of the year would completely derail the season?

2. Backlund: So granted, I’ve never really understood the Backlund hate. I think he's very solid in his role and he chips in where he can. So with that said, my question to anyone who wants to see him moved is this, without Backlund, who can defend the McDavid’s and Draisaitl’s of the world when they’re on separate lines? Or the Matthews/Tavares, Backstrom/Kuznetsov, Crosby/Malkin’s and etc. The Flames need a player that can defend elite players every night and I don’t think anyone on Flames is better at it than #11.

3. Are we also ok with seeing 4 new lines? That was the scary thing for me going into this past season, was all the new line combinations and all the new names. We didn’t know how any of them would gel together and as it turned out, none of them gelled. The best line ended up being 3 guys who have played together in the past before. I just don’t know if it’s a good idea to try it again and watch 40 games of line switching misery.

4. Last question, for everybody that has envisioned their own lines. Ask yourself is this a good team on paper or a good team on ice? I know everyone loves building new teams on playstation/xbox, but this isn’t a video game. I’m seeing a lot of new names, but a lot of new names means a lot of new risk. Maybe I’m more risk adverse, but I think I prefer the idea of going with a little bit of what we already have and know that works, then to build everything brand new from scratch.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #447
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I still like The Athletic’s proposed Tkachuk + Zary + 1st for Eichel. I think it’s good value on both sides, a steep price by the Flames.

…and ultimately removes a slow player in Tkachuk while giving us an elite #1 centre.

I think my dream off-season is Eichel + a Gaudreau extension, and Backlund to Seattle.

Centre depth: Eichel, Lindholm, Monahan.
I really don't see the fit for Tkachuk. Those speculating it probably aren't very aware of his QO to UFA path. I could see us trading Tkachuk somewhere else and using the return on an Eichel deal.

I think are the more likely starting points for BUF are:
Andersson/Valimaki+Dubé/Mangi + Pelletier/Zary + 1st + 2nd

You can be pretty sure Backs and Monahan will have BUF on their NTC lists. Maybe it takes more assets (Wolf?), or maybe we have to plug our nose and include Lindholm instead of the 2nd, but take back Reinhart or Risto.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #448
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I’m afraid there’s no good answer for this, short term. The real solution is to tank for 2022 and 2023 drafts and hope for franchise players.

But maybe that’s too negative. If you can get Eichel for Tkachuk ++ maybe you can have a top line better than a lot of teams. And maybe a Lindholm centred 2nd line is better than quite a few second lines. Especially if you can manage a MOnahan for RW trade. I know Backlund is better than a lot of 3Cs. Maybe some of the kids can come up with goos play and winning attitudes

Defensively I have confidence that Andersson has a better year. Gio could be taken in expansion, or Kylington. If Gio goes, there’s an opening for a good defenceman and also cap space.

Gaudreau-Eichel-new RW
Mangiapane-Lindholm-Dube
Lucic-Backlund-Pelletier
Zary-Ruzicka-Ritchie or someone
Phillips

Gio (someone like maybe Barrie if Gio goes)-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone (Kylington if Gio goes)

Markstrom
There are plenty of decent backup goalies available next year
Let’s say the overhaul went like this (quite unrealistic if you ask me) - is that team ^ a cup contender?

I see a middle of the road playoff team, at best. You’d be left with a franchise that has no futures to trade to improve the roster elsewhere, no ELC talent that can meaningfully contribute in this competitive window, so you’d need to hit the UFA market to add core pieces to the team, which would be both risky and cost prohibitive.

That roster WITH some futures to trade and/or prospect capital it’s a different story. But we are so deficient based on management miscalculating the potential of this core, moves of this magnitude will bring on more mediocrity and only prolong the inevitable if you ask me.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #449
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Let’s say the overhaul went like this (quite unrealistic if you ask me) - is that team ^ a cup contender?

I see a middle of the road playoff team, at best. You’d be left with a franchise that has no futures to trade to improve the roster elsewhere, no ELC talent that can meaningfully contribute in this competitive window, so you’d need to hit the UFA market to add core pieces to the team, which would be both risky and cost prohibitive.

That roster WITH some futures to trade and/or prospect capital it’s a different story. But we are so deficient based on management miscalculating the potential of this core, moves of this magnitude will bring on more mediocrity and only prolong the inevitable if you ask me.
That’s why I said the real answer was to tank for 2022 and 23. The lineup is really the best you can do otherwise if everything went perfectly.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #450
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

I like that. Make it happen.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #451
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is my dream

Gaudreau Eichel Hyman
Tkachuk Lindholm Mangiapane

Monahan and plus plus for eichel.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #452
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird situation for the squad. I am just going to go ahead and assume that there will not be a tear-down. And we are going into a projected weak division. I would just caution people in assuming that... The Kings could be much better than expected if their top prospects pop, Vancouver could bounce back. That said, the Sutter effect alone should result in much better performance.
Some big and tricky personnel decisions loom. Gaudreau contract - he won't be allowed to get to his NTC without an extension, right? What about the Tkachuk contract? Will he even want to talk about an extension after a down year in a bad cap situation? I would guess not, as he has little to lose by waiting for his QO... He is the sort of player I would like to keep, but is that realistic, given his contract structure and his bloodlines? Giordano - really, the only offensive defenseman we have, but age, expansion, contract. What the hell do you do with that? Monahan - I would guess cannot be traded now, and what is he going to be next year? Is Sutter turning him into a shut-down center? Is he broken? We know the team lacks intestinal fortitude/fitness/size/speed, so are they looking to make changes just to change the "room"? Or is Sutter going to be the "leader" and the weak minded roster going to fall in line?
IFF you actually trade for Eichel, can you actually afford to keep both Backlund and Monahan? Both in dollar terms and in terms of slotting...
What are you doing with the D? Even if Gio stays, he could drop off next year. Tanev could too - given age, mileage. Will the younger D step forward? Who will run the PP?
A lot of questions. Have to answer a lot of them in a month, basically.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 06:03 PM   #453
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
3. Are we also ok with seeing 4 new lines? That was the scary thing for me going into this past season, was all the new line combinations and all the new names. We didn’t know how any of them would gel together and as it turned out, none of them gelled. The best line ended up being 3 guys who have played together in the past before. I just don’t know if it’s a good idea to try it again and watch 40 games of line switching misery.

4. Last question, for everybody that has envisioned their own lines. Ask yourself is this a good team on paper or a good team on ice? I know everyone loves building new teams on playstation/xbox, but this isn’t a video game. I’m seeing a lot of new names, but a lot of new names means a lot of new risk. Maybe I’m more risk adverse, but I think I prefer the idea of going with a little bit of what we already have and know that works, then to build everything brand new from scratch.
3. Absoutely, yes. I'm sure there are more examples than FLA, but Florida. We need to move out 1-2 key pieces and start with an absolutely blank lineup card with no pre-existing assumptions.

4. There's a very good chance that changes won't work (at least not immediately), but it's almost certain that staying the course won't either.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #454
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
There isn’t a snowballs chance in hell that Seattle will take Giordano at 38 yes of age

Then who will they take?

You are ignoring value. He’s likely worth a 1st round pick at the deadline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #455
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Then who will they take?

You are ignoring value. He’s likely worth a 1st round pick at the deadline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To me it’s down to Gio or Kylington for them. Unless they do a Vegas and take Ryan, and I don’t know why they do that (I don’t know why Vegas took Engelland).

Expensive experience and proven quality, even if it’s declining, versus young potential. And Gio brings leadership, name value, trade value, etc.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #456
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Could look to Nashville. Arvidsson and Jarnkrok? Hyman is also a UFA isn’t he? Could he be a good signing?

The team as a whole is in a weird spot. How do they become more competitive this coming year? Even if we do manage to pull in Eichel for Tkachuk + 1st + Zary, the gaps left in the roster up front are still sizeable without a clear path to correcting it…unless you double down even further and are willing to leverage the future more?

Spend futures and build a roster worth actually maintaining and then worry about maintaining it at a future date? Or just shuffle along hoping we hit a home run and find a gem in the mid part of the draft?

If the core up front is Eichel, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Monahan and Mangiapane…I think that’s pretty good, and may even be good enough assuming you can actually win some of those trades where you leverage the future. The biggest problem this team has is that they leveraged the future on absolute loser trades. Elliott, Lazar, Hamonic - they all did nothing/underperformed here, and are gone.
Pretty sure you could add Rienhart to the list of RHS forwards who are available.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #457
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Why do you think he's available. He led the team in goals and points.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #458
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Because he's an RFA and because of his end-of-season comments.
Seems like he's done with the team.

Plus he's a western Canadian, so Buffalo couldn't be much more far away.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #459
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He basically asked to be moved at the end of the year press conference and the GM said they only want players that want to be there.

Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolinen are all on the block in my opinion
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #460
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t see much of Buffalo at all in the last couple years. Is Eichel capable defensively? Is Reinhart? How slow is Reinhart anyway, is he a Monahan or is he more towards average? Or is he a Neal?