Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #1381
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't mind the look of the Bronco sport, I think it has a lot of small details that separate it from other crossovers, but I don't think I'd ever buy one. I am tempted to buy a regular Bronco.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #1382
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I don't mind the look of the Bronco sport, I think it has a lot of small details that separate it from other crossovers, but I don't think I'd ever buy one. I am tempted to buy a regular Bronco.
Ford created so much confusion branding the Sport with a Bronco tag. The Bronco Sport is essntially a Ford Escape topping out pt the SEL trim level. The 2 door and 4 door Broncos are going to be their own vehicle based on the Ford Ranger platform. Hopefully will see them by July/ August. If you decide today you want a 2dr or 4dr, you will be lucky to get one within the next 12- 18 months. The anticipation is that Ford will be doing a second round of pre orders for the 2022 models.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:16 PM   #1383
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Ford created so much confusion branding the Sport with a Bronco tag. The Bronco Sport is essntially a Ford Escape topping out pt the SEL trim level. The 2 door and 4 door Broncos are going to be their own vehicle based on the Ford Ranger platform. Hopefully will see them by July/ August. If you decide today you want a 2dr or 4dr, you will be lucky to get one within the next 12- 18 months. The anticipation is that Ford will be doing a second round of pre orders for the 2022 models.
They're definitely capitalizing on certain names to help drive sales and both Bronco and Mustang invoke emotion with buyers. They also limit the Ford branding on the Bronco/Sport, instead focusing on "Bronco". It's confusing to some, but I think it's smart from a marketing perspective.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #1384
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
It certainly is confusing. I consider myself a car guy although during the last two years I certainly haven't kept up with new product launches like I did before. I obviously knew that there was a new Bronco coming out but I honestly had no idea there was a separate Bronco Sport launching. When I saw the Bronco Sport this past weekend it was a big surprise for me. It caught me off guard because I thought I knew what I was looking at but I apparently had no idea what I was actually looking at.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #1385
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Meh, there's precedent for this. I had a Bronco II in high school and it shared nothing but a name with the full-size Bronco.

The Bronco Sport is neat, though, if you like those little SUVs. It's way cooler looking than all the jellybean ones, including the Escape, CRV, etc.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:23 AM   #1386
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Dumb question, what is the big deal about active title? I sold a car on kijiji a couple months ago and that was the first question all the time. In the ad it even stated I drive it daily (which I did) with no issues. I thought it was obvious so I didn't specify 'active' in the ad I just said original owner and daily commute car. Active title, as opposed to....inactive? Why would that matter? Or are they trying to see if it has rebuilt status or written off?
Don't confuse "active" with currently registered. It becomes significant because the difference between "active" and "rebuilt" could be a salvage. You don't want to see some of the work that gets put into cars that were rebuilt in many cases, and while they passed inspection to be titled for the road, its still a vastly different vehicle (and valued as such) than one that has anything OTHER than active. So yes, its significant.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:35 AM   #1387
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Meh, there's precedent for this. I had a Bronco II in high school and it shared nothing but a name with the full-size Bronco.

The Bronco Sport is neat, though, if you like those little SUVs. It's way cooler looking than all the jellybean ones, including the Escape, CRV, etc.
Looks like it is decent enough offroad as Car & Driver drove a Bronco Sport in an off road rally race and it handled the task pretty good for a crossover.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-bronco-sport/
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #1388
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey y'all

I think the rear main seal on my 09 VW tiguan is shot, possible vacuum leak/misfire too.
looking for recommendations on a good shop to take it to that wont cost an arm and a leg, preferably just an arm.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #1389
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Hey y'all

I think the rear main seal on my 09 VW tiguan is shot, possible vacuum leak/misfire too.
looking for recommendations on a good shop to take it to that wont cost an arm and a leg, preferably just an arm.
TuneDub has tons of experience with most VW problems, so I typically find they take less hours to get jobs done. Expect to wait a while to get in though.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #1390
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hey y'all

Your misfire on an 09 is carbon buildup in the intake. VW's had that real bad on that generation of engines thanks to the EGR and direct injection and the only fix is to pull off the intake and manually clean them. It took me 4 hours to do, dealer charges about 1200 for the job. It's messy but probably easier on a tiggy than a GTI! It's a design flaw on the engine and happens to literally all of them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #1391
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
TuneDub has tons of experience with most VW problems, so I typically find they take less hours to get jobs done. Expect to wait a while to get in though.
Thanks, I figured that this would be where everyone suggested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Your misfire on an 09 is carbon buildup in the intake. VW's had that real bad on that generation of engines thanks to the EGR and direct injection and the only fix is to pull off the intake and manually clean them. It took me 4 hours to do, dealer charges about 1200 for the job. It's messy but probably easier on a tiggy than a GTI! It's a design flaw on the engine and happens to literally all of them.

Thank you, I thought often it was caused by the PCV valve too?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #1392
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Thank you, I thought often it was caused by the PCV valve too?
First off, yes tunedub is great if you're not a DIY kinda guy.

And PCV has been around forever, like original tech. PCV just moves air from the bottom to the top of the crankcase, preventing it from getting trapped in the sump or in places it shouldn't, and that air obviously does have atomized oil in it as well. EGR is the newer tech that has been causing problems, compounded by other tech. They want to reduce emissions so they take exhaust gasses that aren't "fully combusted" and recirc them into the intake, the problem is they have oils in them (like the PCV would too), which then coke up onto the super heated intake runners and valves. In early EGR tech this wasn't a problem, with port fuel injection and TBI the oil solids were mostly washed off of the intake ports, but with the increasing demands on fuel efficiency and emissions, direct injection took off and engines just ran hotter in general. When that happened all of that recirc'd exhaust gas with all of that particulate (and its much worse in turbo cars) just baked onto the hot surfaces into a black globlike tar disrupting and reducing the airflow into the cylinders, and no fuel spray in that channel to wash it away. Racers go to lengths of even polishing rough surfaces in the intake channel, so once you start accumulating these erratic blobs it makes a huge difference in efficiency and how the engine runs. Manufacturers have redesigned many of these engines to have dual injection setups because it became a huge issue, so they'll run a hybrid port and direct injection depending on the duty cycle.

What does this mean? Well it means that if you haven't done preventative maint on this, you likely have an issue. My car had it as early as 80K with the misfiring, and I tackled it at 110K and it was honestly shocking how much goo I scraped out of the intakes.

How many K are on your tig?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #1393
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
First off, yes tunedub is great if you're not a DIY kinda guy.

And PCV has been around forever, like original tech. PCV just moves air from the bottom to the top of the crankcase, preventing it from getting trapped in the sump or in places it shouldn't, and that air obviously does have atomized oil in it as well. EGR is the newer tech that has been causing problems, compounded by other tech. They want to reduce emissions so they take exhaust gasses that aren't "fully combusted" and recirc them into the intake, the problem is they have oils in them (like the PCV would too), which then coke up onto the super heated intake runners and valves. In early EGR tech this wasn't a problem, with port fuel injection and TBI the oil solids were mostly washed off of the intake ports, but with the increasing demands on fuel efficiency and emissions, direct injection took off and engines just ran hotter in general. When that happened all of that recirc'd exhaust gas with all of that particulate (and its much worse in turbo cars) just baked onto the hot surfaces into a black globlike tar disrupting and reducing the airflow into the cylinders, and no fuel spray in that channel to wash it away. Racers go to lengths of even polishing rough surfaces in the intake channel, so once you start accumulating these erratic blobs it makes a huge difference in efficiency and how the engine runs. Manufacturers have redesigned many of these engines to have dual injection setups because it became a huge issue, so they'll run a hybrid port and direct injection depending on the duty cycle.

What does this mean? Well it means that if you haven't done preventative maint on this, you likely have an issue. My car had it as early as 80K with the misfiring, and I tackled it at 110K and it was honestly shocking how much goo I scraped out of the intakes.

How many K are on your tig?
Wow, thanks for the details. I had a general understanding but not that deep.
I usually tackle a lot of work myself but no longer have the facilities to do much.
I bought it in November with 180k. Had a pretty great service history so I felt pretty good about it at the time.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #1394
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
PCV just moves air from the bottom to the top of the crankcase, preventing it from getting trapped in the sump or in places it shouldn't, and that air obviously does have atomized oil in it as well.
PCV system prevents pressure from building up in the crankcase, which occurs because of leakage past piston rings. It doesn't simply move air around. A clogged PCV valve in severe cases will cause oil to be forced past seals even damaged them or blowing them out completely.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:37 PM   #1395
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
PCV system prevents pressure from building up in the crankcase, which occurs because of leakage past piston rings. It doesn't simply move air around. A clogged PCV valve in severe cases will cause oil to be forced past seals even damaged them or blowing them out completely.
I was simplifying the process, a clogged PCV is an entirely different problem than being discussed

Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #1396
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the details. I had a general understanding but not that deep.

I usually tackle a lot of work myself but no longer have the facilities to do much.

I bought it in November with 180k. Had a pretty great service history so I felt pretty good about it at the time.
Nothing to feel bad about, it's a completely reversible issue, it's just a maintenance point that isn't made aware of, that required you to take off the entire intake mani. You should also be looking at the timing belt as well, I want to say the interval on that 2.0t was 130k? And that's often never adhered to

Old 03-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #1397
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

2021 Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-porsch...-90-1846408643

Not crazy about the typical raise suspension and cladding treatment, but dat ass.

Spoiler!
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #1398
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah.

At this point I'm really over these flattened crossover things. Either make an actual, honest to goodness hot hatch, or go the full mile and make a real wagon.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #1399
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm actually surprised at how much I like that. I dare say I love it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #1400
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if it started at the same place at the top of the back and angled out instead of in I would like it a lot more. There's still a lot of room to do that and have an aggressive rear fender flare.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote