Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #341
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
any advice on a quick fix for a relatively small scratch/scrape on front fender around wheelwall that's showing a slight bit of rust?
(just wondering what products that might be out there that I should be looking at; I'm not Canada's most handyman and overwhelmed by plethora of options)

Thanks
That's a full bit of body work. Remove rust, prime, sand, paint/blend. Clear coat. Or cut back on the steps, minimum is remove rust with a fiberglass pen and use touch up paint. Will be kinda ugly though.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #342
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That's a full bit of body work. Remove rust, prime, sand, paint/blend. Clear coat. Or cut back on the steps, minimum is remove rust with a fiberglass pen and use touch up paint. Will be kinda ugly though.
I did the above this summer... and it was A LOT of work, and it cost a pretty penny for it to look decent. Watch some youtube (chrisfix is a good one) to get a good idea of scope of work. And also know they make it look 100x easier than it really is.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #343
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
any advice on a quick fix for a relatively small scratch/scrape on front fender around wheelwall that's showing a slight bit of rust?
(just wondering what products that might be out there that I should be looking at; I'm not Canada's most handyman and overwhelmed by plethora of options)

Thanks
Picture of the damage?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #344
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pics will help. They make scuff-pens, essentially a bit of abrasive on a very small tip that work really well for tiny areas. If it’s literally just a scratch, the factory material does a good job of containing any rust, and these pens will clean out the area. Then some touch up, which of your patient, a few coats and a gentle wet sand/polish does a hell of a job.

Recommendation for an exhaust shop for some pipe re-bending? I have a custom stainless 2 1/2” dual system that now interferes a bit with my chassis components. Should take a skilled guy half an hour to fix, but I don’t want to waste my time with the R&R guys.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #345
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for some help as I’m feeling a little defeated

I was overdue for an oil change so I figured I would do it myself and save a few bucks. I’m not an auto savvy person but I figured I could handle this. Things were going fine until it was time to swap the oil filter. Unfortunately I cannot get the oil filter off. Didn’t help that I mangled it accidentally turning it the wrong way tried the screwdriver trick and just mangled it even more. The oil filter pliers I got didn’t work either.

I can’t even drive it to the shop as I already drained the oil in my engine and don’t want to refill it with the damaged filter still attached. Should I just cut my losses and tow it there, or is there a way to pry the thing off without damaging anything?

Any advice is appreciated...

EDIT: Alright, I found a bunch of ideas on this page (scroll to the comments) -- https://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/200...ck-oil-filter/ fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Last edited by tvp2003; 09-09-2020 at 09:45 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #346
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try large channel locks if you can get access.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #347
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Try large channel locks if you can get access.
Tried the larger ones, but the filter got so mangled that it ended up being too small. Bought a smaller pair but It didn’t budge.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #348
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm - missed key detail.

A chain vice grip might work.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0584749p.html

Last edited by GGG; 09-09-2020 at 09:49 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #349
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Looking for some help as I’m feeling a little defeated

I was overdue for an oil change so I figured I would do it myself and save a few bucks. I’m not an auto savvy person but I figured I could handle this. Things were going fine until it was time to swap the oil filter. Unfortunately I cannot get the oil filter off. Didn’t help that I mangled it accidentally turning it the wrong way tried the screwdriver trick and just mangled it even more. The oil filter pliers I got didn’t work either.

I can’t even drive it to the shop as I already drained the oil in my engine and don’t want to refill it with the damaged filter still attached. Should I just cut my losses and tow it there, or is there a way to pry the thing off without damaging anything?

Any advice is appreciated...

EDIT: Alright, I found a bunch of ideas on this page (scroll to the comments) -- https://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/200...ck-oil-filter/ fingers crossed for tomorrow!
I have had this happen before. Depending on how much room you have, my solution was to totally mangle the filter until it came off.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #350
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowRiverBruinsRule View Post
I have had this happen before. Depending on how much room you have, my solution was to totally mangle the filter until it came off.
Fortunately, access isn't too much of an issue. Not great, but not bad.

Have a plan for attempt #2 later today, muscles are pretty sore after painfully failing with attempt #1 yesterday...
Old 09-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #351
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, so tight that hammering a screwdriver in to use as a handle didn't work? That's crazy.

Too mangled to use a oil filter wrench socket?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #352
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

That is not a fun problem. The good news is if you do it yourself going forward, you can make sure they are always just hand tight and never face this issue again.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #353
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowRiverBruinsRule View Post
Yeah, I've done the "punch-a-screwdriver-through-and-use-as-a-handle" trick and had it backfire on me too. I ended up just shearing the rest of the filter's outer casing off, and used vice grips to unscrew what was left at the base. Messy, but not too much trouble.

And as Bill Bumface said, going forward it's nice to know that if you do it yourself you'll never run into this trouble again.

Last edited by timun; 09-10-2020 at 11:00 AM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #354
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

And make sure the seal comes off with the old filter.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #355
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, that's key. It's ultimately the seal that's stuck, not the threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #356
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Yes, that's key. It's ultimately the seal that's stuck, not the threads.
I already bent two screwdrivers yesterday trying to get the sucker to turn — today I sprayed some liquid wrench on it to try dissolve/loosen the gasket. Read that a razor blade can help break the seal as well. Fingers crossed...
Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #357
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't forget your looking up. Lefty loosey, Righty tighty.

You just have to crack that seal, it will go eventually.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #358
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, not to sound condescending but you really need to be sure you're trying to turn it counter-clockwise from a head-on POV... I know you said you already accidentally wrenched on it the wrong way, but you really, really need to be sure.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #359
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, not to sound condescending but you really need to be sure you're trying to turn it counter-clockwise from a head-on POV... I know you said you already accidentally wrenched on it the wrong way, but you really, really need to be sure.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #360
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried liquid wrench, razor blades and a heat gun to try and loosen the seal. No luck I was originally going to cut off the filter and try to chisel off the ring using the drain holes, but I think I’m going waive the white flag and take it into a shop. Between time and tools, I’m trying not to think about how much money I will have “saved” doing this myself.

Quote:
Haha, yeah that’s fair. I thought I was doing it right initially but YouTube quickly proved me wrong. It hasn’t budged a millimeter either way — as posted above it’s the seal that I can’t seem to break