Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
So I've been a Packers fan my entire life, but these past few seasons I've really started to see how Rogers is a diva. Do I want him gone, hell no! He's one of the best QBs of all time, but eventually the time will come where he no longer there. If it's now, then it's now. Let him go to SF. Get a hell of a return and go after Watson. Or Rogers will say all of this now and you'll see a WR drafted this year with help in the secondary to continue to work on the D.
Yeah he seems like a bit of a wet blanket but there's 0.0000000000000001% that Love turns out even half as good as Rogers and the Packers can take a look at the Patriots for what happens when a winning franchise loses its HOF starting QB. Enjoy him until he's gone as it's probably downhill from there.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #222
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the Packers, are they the most disappointing good franchise in the NFL the past 25-30 years? For that entire time they have had a top 10 all-time QB and only have two Super Bowls. Eli has two Super Bowls. The Ravens won two Super Bowls with Dilfer and Flacco. Feels like the Packers should have won more than they have, and to only even make three Super Bowls in that time is pretty poor.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #223
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Flames of the early 90s should have won more Cups too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #224
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’d give that distinction to Manning’s Colts. He should have had a handful of titles there.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #225
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Speaking of the Packers, are they the most disappointing good franchise in the NFL the past 25-30 years? For that entire time they have had a top 10 all-time QB and only have two Super Bowls. Eli has two Super Bowls. The Ravens won two Super Bowls with Dilfer and Flacco. Feels like the Packers should have won more than they have, and to only even make three Super Bowls in that time is pretty poor.
They sure could have use some secondary help in that NFC championship game

Maybe they shouldn’t have drafted a RB and QB in the first 2 rounds
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #226
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
They sure could have use some secondary help in that NFC championship game

Maybe they shouldn’t have drafted a RB and QB in the first 2 rounds
There is no defending the drafting of Love. Dillon was a fine choice in the 2nd rd.

But

They gave up fewer yards through the air than the Bucs...and had 3 INT's.

Their issue is one player that, for some reason, they think can play man coverage with but he continually gets burned and also may be the worst tackler in the game. Been that way for 2 years.

Rodgers will be back...no other team is as good as GB that he can move to. I mean they were 2 mistakes away from the SB.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #227
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The Flames of the early 90s should have won more Cups too.
Or at least won a round here & there. The first playoffs I vividly recall was 1991..suffering through 3 game 7 OT losses my first 5 years as a fan - with 0 series wins - while simultaneously watching alltime dominant Stamps teams choking in the West Final, has left me as quite the defeatist going into every playoff season.

That said, me coming of age as a sports fan with early 90s Calgary teams prepped me quite well for these last few Saints playoff adventures...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #228
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There is no defending the drafting of Love. Dillon was a fine choice in the 2nd rd.

But

Their issue is one player that, for some reason, they think can play man coverage with but he continually gets burned and also may be the worst tackler in the game. Been that way for 2 years.

Rodgers will be back...no other team is as good as GB that he can move to. I mean they were 2 mistakes away from the SB.
One of the other frustrating aspects of Sunday is the drafting of Dillon was almost tailored made for that game. Cold, January football in Lambeau and you have a 200lbs plus RB that can run you over or go around you. There should have been a steady diet of Dillon but Lafleur went away from the Run.

I think Dillon is going to wind up being excellent value in the 2nd round. Has a chance to breakout in a huge way next year and in hindsight I bet Lafleur wishes he would have used him more but he did miss almost a month with COVID.

Last edited by cross16; 01-26-2021 at 01:45 PM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #229
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I’d give that distinction to Manning’s Colts. He should have had a handful of titles there.
Even then they got lucky and faced one of the worst super bowl Qb's in Rex Grossman. I would agree, those Colt teams and GB teams should have won more.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #230
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Even then they got lucky and faced one of the worst super bowl Qb's in Rex Grossman. I would agree, those Colt teams and GB teams should have won more.
Rex has won as many NFC Championship games as Aaron.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #231
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Rex has won as many NFC Championship games as Aaron.
that is crazy when you think about it.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:12 AM   #232
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seahawks hiring the highly coveted (lol) Shane Waldron as their OC.
Was the passing game coordinator with the Rams and came with McVey from the Redskins.

He’s never called plays in his NFL career.

As I’ve droned on about, Russell Wilson wants to run the offence after the taste he got doing so this year to great results, then terrible ones (also today, DK Metcalf talked about how other teams figured them out midway through the season, (as I have mentioned) and the offence didn’t react quickly enough). The experienced coaches they interviewed in the first round all bowed out quickly when they heard the plan that Wilson wanted to de facto run things...Gase, Pederson were there and gone.

So, Wilson has his wish. He has got a totally green guy there with no play calling experience, so a guy he who he’s able to control, a guy who is not going to push back much on any play design or play calling, and is paid to hold Wilson’s play sheet and wear the headset.

Also, could be another signal the Rams are done with Goff.

Last edited by browna; 01-27-2021 at 12:16 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #233
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead on Tuesday echoed coach Sean McVay when it comes to the future of quarterback Jared Goff.

"Jared Goff is a Ram at this moment," Snead said when asked whether Goff would be on the roster in 2021. "It's way too early to speculate the future. That's a beautiful mystery."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-qb-jared-goff

hell of a vote of confidence lol. What's the over/under for teams with a new starting QB this year? Seems like a remarkable number of teams have a cloud of uncertainty at the position right now. Could be a lot of movement this offseason.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #234
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Husband: Do you still love me?
Wife: That's a beautiful mystery.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #235
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rams royally ####ed up the Goff situation. He'd be a UFA right now if they didn't extend him and they'd be able to walk away clean. I'm sure they'd love to move on, but more than likely he's on the roster next year unless someone bails them out with a trade. Their cap situation is rough so they're probably drafting a QB this year instead of getting in on the offseason market, so Goff might be the highest paid backup of all-time next year.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #236
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

But

I am so sick of the Packers sticking with defensive coordinators well past their best before date who demonstrably suck. They did it with Capers and are doing it again with Pettine. So frustrating. They got burned on so many third downs that game too. My only fear was facing Brady in the playoffs, and I guess it was confirmed.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #237
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not defending Pettine here, but the Packers offense did produce two drives for a total -5 yards after the last two Brady picks. And that was with Tampa missing both starting safeties. Even if the Packers squeezed through they probably get crushed by the Chiefs, but the defense did enough to give the Packers a chance.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #238
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Seattle Seahawks scumbag Chad Wheeler tried to kill his girlfriend and really beat the hell out of her. Nothing being reported though so it’s likely since he’s not high profile like Ray rice or Kareem hunt that’s why it’s being ignored by media. Pictures are brutal, will skip posting them.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #239
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm not defending Pettine here, but the Packers offense did produce two drives for a total -5 yards after the last two Brady picks. And that was with Tampa missing both starting safeties. Even if the Packers squeezed through they probably get crushed by the Chiefs, but the defense did enough to give the Packers a chance.
This is somewhat fair, unlike previous championship games the D didn't cost the Packers the game. This one was a total team loss where everyone, offense, ST, D, coaching all contributed.

But I still don't think they were near good enough. Gave up 21 in the first half and while they did get the 3 INTs I think 2 were basically punts by Brady. Offense for sure should have done more with it and Lafleur getting away from their formula, and Rodgers missing MVS, played a big part. Ultimately though you need much, much better play from your defense in a championship game.

I thin it's all but a certainty Pettine will be let go and hopefully Lafleur can continue to hire good coaches but at this point it feels like someone in the Packers is going to have to sell their soul to be able to field a championship caliber D unit.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #240
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I am so sick of the Packers sticking with defensive coordinators well past their best before date who demonstrably suck. They did it with Capers and are doing it again with Pettine. So frustrating. They got burned on so many third downs that game too. My only fear was facing Brady in the playoffs, and I guess it was confirmed.
Agreed, I would shake my head every year when the announcers would talk about the Dom Capers defense, the defense that had some good players but could never get off the field. I thought they weren't as bad in the TB game, notwithstanding Kevin King letting Moore get behind him before half. Rodgers NFC championship game record is bad but its certainly not all on him.