Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #3541
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Not having to play in Canada perhaps helps for a year?
Maybe one of these guys will sign a one year deal with the Jays and try to boost their value for an offseason with a little more predictability.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #3542
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aw crap, the Mets got Carrasco in the deal too FFS.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of extension (if any) Lindor signs. If it's a nutbar amount then I don't mind missing out on it as much, but dayum that would have been exciting to add those two pieces to the Jays team for this season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #3543
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would bet on Springer signing with the Mets too now. If he was actually teetering between the two choices, adding two pieces like that will make the Mets much more desirable of a destination.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #3544
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I would bet on Springer signing with the Mets too now. If he was actually teetering between the two choices, adding two pieces like that will make the Mets much more desirable of a destination.
Yeah. Without a doubt. He can get paid, and there wouldn’t be all eyes on him as that would be shared. Something tells me the Mets will push to add him and the spree will be done there. Then Jays swoop in and get Realmuto. Would be the smart move to call it a day there.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #3545
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Yeah. Without a doubt. He can get paid, and there wouldn’t be all eyes on him as that would be shared. Something tells me the Mets will push to add him and the spree will be done there. Then Jays swoop in and get Realmuto. Would be the smart move to call it a day there.
Yeah, Realmuto would be great.

Use Jansen as bait for a starting pitcher with control and then probably sign a couple of mid tier free agents to help the defense/run prevention. A middle infielder and a center fielder to short term bargain deals.

Then I'd like to see a closer and I'd love Kluber on a 1 year deal too.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #3546
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been screaming for holding off to next offseason on the big pitcher signing. This will be the season that last year was supposed to be development wise. So I really hope Rogers will bottle the money this year and pile it on next. Weird to say but timing is everything. Going all in too early doesn’t make sense. Realmuto would be good for development purposes right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #3547
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bauer all the way . His work ethic and analytics would alone be amazing to help the staff

Break the bank for an ace . Anything else can be found
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #3548
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Bauer isn’t the pitching ability. It’s the attitude. Does he want to help others or stroke his own ego? That question I have no way of answering.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #3549
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with Bauer isn’t the pitching ability. It’s the attitude. Does he want to help others or stroke his own ego? That question I have no way of answering.
I’m sure if anyone asks Bauer for his custom grip goo, he’ll hook them up.

This was my 10,000th post. I wish I’d made it better.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #3550
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve been screaming for holding off to next offseason on the big pitcher signing. This will be the season that last year was supposed to be development wise. So I really hope Rogers will bottle the money this year and pile it on next. Weird to say but timing is everything. Going all in too early doesn’t make sense. Realmuto would be good for development purposes right now.
I am here too. It's fun to talk free agency but I agree the Jays would be better to see what they have amongst a stable of good young arms, let the position players grow and then be in a even better position to be aggressive next year. Hopefully by that point you get some players to emerge and your only 1-2 players away and not 3-4.

If a deal falls in our lap take it, but I don't think this is the right time or the right class to go all in on.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #3551
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I already mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I hope the Jays come out of left field and trade for Bryant.

3B is what they really need on the infield.

Trade for Bryant
Sign Realmuto
Trade Jansen for pitching
Sign 1-2 of Kluber/Paxton/Sugano/Tanaka/Odorizzi/Walker
Sign Hendrix
Sign a good OFer

I'd say sign Bauer, but I don't think there is a chance in hell he'd go to the Jays.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #3552
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sugano going back to Japan.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:12 AM   #3553
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

If this is true Springer won't be signing with the Jays.

Quote:
In the wake of the Lindor/Carrasco trade, the Mets aren’t necessarily finished making big-ticket acquisitions, though it’s “less likely” they will sign free-agent outfielder George Springer because of an unwillingness to exceed the $210MM luxury-tax threshold, Andy Martino of SNY writes. New York is in the $190MM payroll vicinity at the moment, and it would like to open the season around $5MM to $10MM under the $210MM mark, Martino reports. The Mets have been tied throughout the offseason to Springer, arguably the top position player on the open market. The former Astro wants a deal in the $175MM range, but the Mets have been short of that at around five years and $150MM, according to Martino. The Blue Jays, who have also been in on Springer, are in the five-year, $115MM range, Martino relays.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...i-yankees.html
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 06:51 AM   #3554
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That return for Cleveland for Lindor and Carrassco seems to be pretty subpar. Surprised the Jays couldn’t top that to be honest considering it sounds like the Mets didn’t give up a top 5 prospect.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-08-2021 at 06:53 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #3555
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That return for Cleveland for Lindor and Carrassco seems to be pretty subpar. Surprised the Jays couldn’t top that to be honest considering it sounds like the Mets didn’t give up a top 5 prospect.
I would agree, but who knows what other factors came into play.

Maybe they had zero confidence in getting Lindor signed to an extension.

Maybe Lindor's ask on an extension is astronomical, and they didn't want to commit to that with Bichette already on the team as a SS and Groshans/Martinez in the system.

Maybe Cleveland was asking for way, way more from the Jays because they are potentially direct wild card spot competition.

There is still a chance Lindor goes to free agency next year and as of now Corriea is also scheduled to be a free agent as far as elite short stops go. Combine that with Bichette as the SS right now, I'm fine with the Jays not paying assets in a trade to get one this off season to be honest.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #3556
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Interesting if true and would make a lot of sense. While the deal doesn't look great for Cleveland on the surface they did get some interesting talent that can play right away.

Hard to fault the Jays if someone takes the other deal.

Anthony Castrovince
@castrovince
FWIW, the Blue Jays were the runner-up for Francisco Lindor. Don't know specific players, but I'm told their offer had what is probably a higher ceiling yet was centered on long-term prospects. Cleveland chose the package from the Mets b/c it balanced short- and long-term help.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #3557
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same old story, Jays made an offer... Other team made the deal.

In my view, Jays have the wrong management.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #3558
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Interesting if true and would make a lot of sense. While the deal doesn't look great for Cleveland on the surface they did get some interesting talent that can play right away.

Hard to fault the Jays if someone takes the other deal.

Anthony Castrovince
@castrovince
FWIW, the Blue Jays were the runner-up for Francisco Lindor. Don't know specific players, but I'm told their offer had what is probably a higher ceiling yet was centered on long-term prospects. Cleveland chose the package from the Mets b/c it balanced short- and long-term help.
Thanks for the info. Man it gets tiring hearing the Jays “almost” getting impact players.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #3559
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Same old story, Jays made an offer... Other team made the deal.

In my view, Jays have the wrong management.
Maybe that's true but teams also need to be patient and make the right moves coming out of a re-build.

Overpaying to get the deal done isn't always the right move. That's how you end up with R.A Dickey and Jose Reyes.

Sounds like they made a good offer but Cleveland wanted guys closer to being ready to play. That happens sometimes, and to me that sounds like more of a mistake from Cleveland.

All these guys that we are hoping to trade for from Cleveland are guys that the current Jays management group found and were patient with. So tough to say they are no good at their jobs when the guys we want were all brought to Cleveland by Shapiro when he was there. Bauer, Lindor, Cleavinger, Kluber, etc
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #3560
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Maybe that's true but teams also need to be patient and make the right moves coming out of a re-build.

Overpaying to get the deal done isn't always the right move. That's how you end up with R.A Dickey and Jose Reyes.

Sounds like they made a good offer but Cleveland wanted guys closer to being ready to play. That happens sometimes, and to me that sounds like more of a mistake from Cleveland.

All these guys that we are hoping to trade for from Cleveland are guys that the current Jays management group found and were patient with. So tough to say they are no good at their jobs when the guys we want were all brought to Cleveland by Shapiro when he was there. Bauer, Lindor, Cleavinger, Kluber, etc

Sure, Jays have made some crap deals.... Every team can say that.

Looking forward, Jays have done very little in terms of trades etc.

GM is paid to improve his team,
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote