Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #221
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

There is some pretty wicked concept art up on the Star Wars facebook page from episode 4. Particularly the AT-ST scenes.

Not sure how to link it here, but just search Star Wars on your facebook.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #222
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Bryce Dallas Howard on the AT-ST in her episode:

Quote:
"I had worked with the same puppeteering folks on Terminator and Jurassic, so we spent a lot of time playing with the puppet, we wanted to use it as much as possible rather than relying on CG," Howard said. She also added that "Having the AT-ST be part of the episode was a particularly exciting opportunity for me because we haven’t seen those machines be as scary as that. I thought this is a total T-Rex opportunity. I had this little model of an AT-ST at home and I’d imagine how it stomped around like a dinosaur."
https://www.cbr.com/mandalorian-bryc...urassic-world/

Pretty cool to see how passionate she was about the episode. The AT-RT was very well done.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #223
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Bryce Dallas Howard on the AT-ST in her episode:

https://www.cbr.com/mandalorian-bryc...urassic-world/

Pretty cool to see how passionate she was about the episode. The AT-RT was very well done.
I was thinking it was very T Rex like when watching the episode, too much so IMO.
Now I understand why.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #224
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I loved how baby Yoda was shown to be a little crafty, right at the end when he wanted to be held.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #225
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved the 4th episode but I agree that it’s time to start advancing the story a bit here. I worry that the series is going to try to rely too heavily on Baby Yoda’s cuteness. That’s fine for an episode or two but it’s time to add a bit more substance.

Last edited by N-E-B; 12-03-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling error
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #226
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

When they were formulating a plan to defeat the AT-ST, I suggested to my wife they should just throw down some logs.

Worked really well 5 years prior on Endor.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #227
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's one thing that I liked about the scene was how cautious the drive was he wasn't going to fall for the swinging log trip or the slippery log trick or the banana in the tailpipe trick.

The one thing that did bug me that shouldn't because it was all about making the AT-ST look like a beast and visible. Was the red lights for eyes, that would do murder on the pilots vision.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #228
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
When they were formulating a plan to defeat the AT-ST, I suggested to my wife they should just throw down some logs.

Worked really well 5 years prior on Endor.
Yeah, but they clearly lack the Ewoks to appropriately execute...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #229
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's one thing that I liked about the scene was how cautious the drive was he wasn't going to fall for the swinging log trip or the slippery log trick or the banana in the tailpipe trick.

The one thing that did bug me that shouldn't because it was all about making the AT-ST look like a beast and visible. Was the red lights for eyes, that would do murder on the pilots vision.
It didnt seem to have a pilot at all.
They made it look like a living creature that was thinking and emotive, and I didn't like that Jurrasic Parking of the episode.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Yeah, but they clearly lack the Ewoks to appropriately execute...

The good news is that hopefully the Ewoks were wiped out in the environmental apocalypse that happened to Endor when the Death Star crashed down on the planet.

In 10 years we'll have a new Star Wars stand alone film called the Wrath of Wicket where a republic ship lands and encounters the last survivors on a desolate world and find out that they didn't land on Endor 5, but Endor's moon.

Spoiler!

Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #231
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

Well I believe that red light actually helps preserve night vision better than any other light. So if it was required for them to have illumination inside of the cab to operate it, the red light would make sense as the best possible choice for night time..

Reaching a bit but.. I'll take it.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #232
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #233
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I believe that red light actually helps preserve night vision better than any other light. So if it was required for them to have illumination inside of the cab to operate it, the red light would make sense as the best possible choice for night time..

Reaching a bit but.. I'll take it.
I just assumed it was night vision/infrared filter. Not like they just had the light on in the cab.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #234
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If you look at some of the shots you can see that the light is coming from inside of the cab, as you can see into the cab and see the back wall. Those are actual opens where the 'eyes' are on the AT-ST.

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler!

It makes sense to me at night in the pitch black you would need something to illuminate what you are working with, it's the same thing police use in their cruisers.

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler!

Last edited by GreenLantern; 12-05-2019 at 02:24 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #235
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you look at some of the shots you can see that the light is coming from inside of the cab, as you can see into the cab and see the back wall. Those are actual opens where the 'eyes' are on the AT-ST.

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler!

It makes sense to me at night in the pitch black you would need something to illuminate what you are working with, it's the same thing police use in their cruisers.

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler!

They also use red lights on/in submarines too for this reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #236
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
They also use red lights on/in submarines too for this reason.

subs don't want to use white lights?? could it give away their position??

i'm actually curious about that to be honest... the sub is a completely sealed vessel (no windows) - you could have dance party lights going in there and no one but the people inside would see it... so why not use white lights??
Old 12-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
subs don't want to use white lights?? could it give away their position??

i'm actually curious about that to be honest... the sub is a completely sealed vessel (no windows) - you could have dance party lights going in there and no one but the people inside would see it... so why not use white lights??

In subs, human eyes are less sensitive to red lights then white lights, something about wave lengths.

Red lights allow you to preserve your night vision while seeing your instruments. Its really only used if its dark outside and the crew either needs to use the periscope or there's a watch on the sail.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #238
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
In subs, human eyes are less sensitive to red lights then white lights, something about wave lengths.

Red lights allow you to preserve your night vision while seeing your instruments. Its really only used if its dark outside and the crew either needs to use the periscope or there's a watch on the sail.
And too add they can have red spectrum lights on research subs because most deep sea animals can't see it, so you disturb them less.

But let's be honest they used red on the AT-ST because it looked good, that there is a real world parallel is just convenient.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #239
Knut

Exp:

Maybe the Pilots just thought it was more menacing to the villagers. Big red evil eyes would be pretty intimidating.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #240
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

While the colour choice is obviously meant to mimic red eyes of a monster, as it was portrayed, there is still a practical explanation for the effect, which was the original concern that sparked this discussion.

I stand by the fact it was made red with that explanation in mind, based only on hope. Hope that makes it less corny. And in case you didn't know, Rebellions are built on hope.