Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Wheel of Time (Inevitable Spoilers Thread)

I thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread on this series. It looks to be one of the most expensive ever produced, and rough plans are in place for eight seasons. Personally I start the first three tomorrow.

This is a book series that I read from first publication, so have followed it a goodly long while. I'm not a fan of old-school tropes in high fantasy, but there are several series that have characters that are so engaging that you can overlook some of the flaws. I'm really looking forward to this one, and hope that they do it justice.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its amazing that they have all this magic and yet they still havent managed to master indoor plumbing.

What are these people up to all day?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
I watched the first three WoT episodes. I enjoyed them but they are almost too 'by the book'. Hard to say for certain as it's been a long time since reading the books but it seemed some/most of the dialogue was word for word. Definately pulled some strings from my long forgotten memory.

How long is the season and does anyone know what they plan to cover book wise in this first season?
The showrunner has stated that the series will be distilled from the 13 books into 8 seasons. Elements of the first three books will find themselves in the first season, and you will see characters that didn't feature in the Eye of the World. I like this for various reasons, the first of which being that it was clear that Jordan didn't know that the series would be successful enough to continue, and the first book was a little more self contained. This also allows them to create an emphasis on greater character importance and construction for villains especially.

I'm looking forward to the divergence, and seeing what they do with it. From what I understand the first couple of episodes are slightly 'safe', to concentrate on world building.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The showrunner has stated that the series will be distilled from the 13 books into 8 seasons. Elements of the first three books will find themselves in the first season, and you will see characters that didn't feature in the Eye of the World. I like this for various reasons, the first of which being that it was clear that Jordan didn't know that the series would be successful enough to continue, and the first book was a little more self contained. This also allows them to create an emphasis on greater character importance and construction for villains especially.

I'm looking forward to the divergence, and seeing what they do with it. From what I understand the first couple of episodes are slightly 'safe', to concentrate on world building.
Yeah without making any spoilers for those that haven’t read the books, I highly doubt they actually go to the eye of the world in the show. Probably just skip that part and move into great hunt material near the end of season 1
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stopped reading after Winter’s Heart. He obviously had no idea where to take it at that point. Did it get better with this other writer?
V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I own all of the books. I found the first three episodes to merit a solid.... "meh, not bad I guess".
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I quite liked it!
Old 11-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #8
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

First episode was a little rough at parts, but as soon as they got to Shadar Logoth the show sold me, nynaeve is a perfect casting, and I’m loving well they are slowly getting the dagger Mat character going.

The tinkers looked like they just left a phish concert, and they do not remember the song.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like it so far, but it will be interesting to see how it progresses over multiple seasons. The books got pretty convoluted and all over the place sometimes, so not sure how that will play out for new fans. There will always be the group who read all the books and nitpick everything, but the test will be if it can draw other viewers. My wife read none of the books and seems to enjoy the show so far, we'll see if it can retain her interest.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am curious to see how the recasting on Mat for S2 will go. One of my favorite characters in the books and I have not been a huge fan so far.

I read the first book at least twice but it has been quite some time, I do not recall Perrin being married. I am assuming that was an addition? Not sure if I liked him killing his wife, we will see.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I am curious to see how the recasting on Mat for S2 will go. One of my favorite characters in the books and I have not been a huge fan so far.

I read the first book at least twice but it has been quite some time, I do not recall Perrin being married. I am assuming that was an addition? Not sure if I liked him killing his wife, we will see.

Yeah, Laila isn't in the books. I think they did it to try to explain Perrin's broody nature, lol.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #12
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re-post from the Amazon Prime discussion:

I watched the first three episodes as it was always a series I planned on getting around to reading.

I thought it was pretty ok. Except for the character Rand. Petty I know but that casting could be the reason I check out. I don't like his voice, I don't like his face and I don't really like the character either.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #13
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post

To be fair, the Mat we know and love doesn’t really come about until after the dagger is gone, I don’t think he even has a POV until after, I remember not liking Mat in eye of the world and he is my favourite character as well. Wonder if they use the dagger as an explanation for the recast, or if they just ignore that it’s someone new, Marvel style.
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #14
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Digging it. Not perfect by any stretch but it's good, entertaining and has a reasonably solid budget and production team behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #15
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which day of the week do new episodes drop? I was playing on the Amazon app on my phone and they have some pretty interest facts/maps there.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #16
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Read the books years ago, I remember enough to make sense of it but not enough to spoil a lot.

I thought the first three episodes were good. I thought number 3 was the best so far.

Whoever was in charge of casting for this series has done a great job so far.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #17
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anything less than 5 braid tugs per episode and I'll be disappointed.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #18
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they talk about the Heron on Rands blade at some point soon. I know we saw it in a few shots but nothing has been mentioned yet. Would have been good for Lan to say something.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #19
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 1 recap :

I liked a lot of the changes. They have been doing some updating both for television and due to the fact that a lot of storytelling conventions have changed since this was first written. The episode did seem rushed. They really tore through the material, and I don't know if someone without prior knowledge would get as much out of the significance of things like a young Wisdom, the mechanics of government in the Two Rivers and the respect for women in decision-making, and that peace has reigned there for so long. The bones of what is needed are definitely there, and I understand having to push the story along to gain viewership.

The scene that I feel was missing was Tam giving the sword to Rand. That is an important plot point, and considering how they made a point of fleshing out Mat and Perrin a little bit more, I don't know why they would skip this.

Visual representation of the one-power was done well. The town looked beautiful.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm...

Okay, so there are some fans on here apparently.

Spoil away I suppose, I'm not going to be too upset at that, but in the meantime along with your discussions about how the show doesnt really track perfectly along with the books, could we also elaborate a little?

I gotta say, as someone who hasnt read the books, nor has any plans to, I'm somewhat intrigued by the show...but I do find at times that I trouble following whats going on in the over-arching scheme of things and getting a little lost.

Would you say that the show is expecting a little background knowledge or is it still just trying to find its feet?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote