Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #221
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

His bits are entertaining.

By mired with too many off topic comments and comparisons to trick people to really take seriously.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #222
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

NSFW!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #223
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Yet another brilliant episode tonight. The research and writing is top notch every week. I'm gonna miss this show for a month.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #224
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

#### you 2016.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #225
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a solid episode. Basically an American Civics lesson.

Although if you're going to comment on American Politics Professionally you should know how the Electoral College works.

Its kind of important.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #226
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That was a solid episode. Basically an American Civics lesson.

Although if you're going to comment on American Politics Professionally you should know how the Electoral College works.

Its kind of important.
I watched the episode during my morning routine so I might have to re-watch it...but how so?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #227
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I watched the episode during my morning routine so I might have to re-watch it...but how so?
I think he mentions that; no matter how many times the electoral college is explained to him, he still doesn't understand it. I watched this morning too, I could be mistaken.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #228
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wasn't that just him joking about how complicated it is? I'm sure he has enough understanding to talk about it and was being self deprecating to make a point.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #229
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure he was commenting on it being stupid, not that he doesn't understand it.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #230
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, it's complicated even without figuring in the intricacies of Maine and Nebraska.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #231
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Pretty sure he was commenting on it being stupid, not that he doesn't understand it.
Well, obviously, but if you're going to engage in a Civics lesson you should mention the Government vehicle that got Trump elected over Hillary.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #232
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, obviously, but if you're going to engage in a Civics lesson you should mention the Government vehicle that got Trump elected over Hillary.
technically, not yet
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #233
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The electoral college is actually quite simplistic.

For 48 states and DC, if you win the popular vote of that state you carry all the electoral votes.

Each states gets one electoral vote per congressman and one per senator.

For Maine and Nebraska, the electoral votes that represent the senators are the popular vote of the state, and the popular vote of each congressional district carries that electoral vote.

In order to be elected president you need to have 50%+1 of the votes of the electoral college. If no one has 50%+1 of the votes of the electoral college then the top three vote getters are on a ballot which is voted on by the House of Representatives.

Everyone goes on about how complicated it is. It really isn't.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #234
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
The electoral college is actually quite simplistic.

For 48 states and DC, if you win the popular vote of that state you carry all the electoral votes.

Each states gets one electoral vote per congressman and one per senator.

For Maine and Nebraska, the electoral votes that represent the senators are the popular vote of the state, and the popular vote of each congressional district carries that electoral vote.

In order to be elected president you need to have 50%+1 of the votes of the electoral college. If no one has 50%+1 of the votes of the electoral college then the top three vote getters are on a ballot which is voted on by the House of Representatives.

Everyone goes on about how complicated it is. It really isn't.
Also, only certain states legislate that the electoral voters must vote for the party candidate that wins the popular vote in that state. And of course the whole thing about them actually voting for a President on the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but it's actually so simplistic that it makes it complicated. A popular vote can sweep in all the representatives, regardless, for a particular party. And then these representatives are expected *wink* *wink* to vote the candidate of their party. It's supposed to a contingency plan for the country, but the electoral college vote has become a formality rooted in nothing more than tradition.

If the electoral college were really looking out for the best interests of the United States, they would vote Trump out or enact some measure to stop this farce of an election.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #235
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, only certain states legislate that the electoral voters must vote for the party candidate that wins the popular vote in that state. And of course the whole thing about them actually voting for a President on the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but it's actually so simplistic that it makes it complicated. A popular vote can sweep in all the representatives, regardless, for a particular party. And then these representatives are expected *wink* *wink* to vote the candidate of their party. It's supposed to a contingency plan for the country, but the electoral college vote has become a formality rooted in nothing more than tradition.

If the electoral college were really looking out for the best interests of the United States, they would vote Trump out or enact some measure to stop this farce of an election.
And throw the country into civil unrest? I don't think thats the best interests of the country.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #236
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
And throw the country into civil unrest? I don't think thats the best interests of the country.
It's already there.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #237
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's already there.
I don't think the protests going on now would be even close to what would happen if the Electoral College changed the result.

I wouldn't consider there to be "Civil unrest" right now.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #238
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the protests going on now would be even close to what would happen if the Electoral College changed the result.

I wouldn't consider there to be "Civil unrest" right now.
Fair, but it's hard to argue that things are better there since Tuesday night, and with the growing divide I don't understand how things are going to get better.

IMO, Trump's campaign has put him in the impossible place of failing either the people who voted for him, or those vehemently opposed to him...even if he takes all the right steps for the country.

That's going to piss a large segment of the people off on either side.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #239
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair, but it's hard to argue that things are better there since Tuesday night, and with the growing divide I don't understand how things are going to get better.

IMO, Trump's campaign has put him in the impossible place of failing either the people who voted for him, or those vehemently opposed to him...even if he takes all the right steps for the country.

That's going to piss a large segment of the people off on either side.
But you listen to interviews of people who voted Trump and a lot of them don't expect Trump to do what he promised. So if he goes back on what he said to get elected I don't expect a huge blow back except for the Far Right supporters.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #240
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But you listen to interviews of people who voted Trump and a lot of them don't expect Trump to do what he promised. So if he goes back on what he said to get elected I don't expect a huge blow back except for the Far Right supporters.
Which, incidentally, are the segment most likely to make noise and act violently.

I'll leave the rest of this thread for the brilliance that is John Oliver and LWT, but it troubles me that people would vote for someone they know is lying and pandering over someone they think might be doing the same.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran