Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #21
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I like the idea of doing a quick tap to pay but not sure how this will affect worker tips in that case?
I wonder if they start adding a mandatory tip?
If they don't do tap and people have to go through the whole "pin #", "amount ok", "select tip amount", "select account", "ok" every single time it could be ridiculous.
#### this, pay them reasonably. What tippable work is being done by someone behind a counter, taking cash and handing you items? They aren’t waiting on you. Do we tip people at fast food joints. Nan I hate tip culture, and hate even more that people have to depend on it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #22
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I can understand them doing this but they should still keep the option of paying in cash open.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Just another stupid move on behalf of CSEC. Since when has cash become unacceptable? If the majority of people use touchless payment anyways, how do a few hundred people who prefer cash inconvenience the rest? Instead of limiting and restricting people, shouldn't they be expanding things so that there are options that suit everyone? Especially coming back from Covid where every dollar helps. Believe it or not, but there are older people who don't use cell phones or have credit cards. You have effectively blocked them out. I rarely use cash as I collect travel points on my VISA, but I think this is a dumb move. I don't buy the whole "covid" thing either as there are still hundreds of touch points all over the arena.
Money is dirty and gross and slower to pay with and less safe to handle.
And I'm sure they know how much of their transactions are currently not cash and how they will manage the risk of losing any of that.
But this is a decision that more businesses will make.
Nothing dumb about it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I can understand them doing this but they should still keep the option of paying in cash open.
Keeping the option means you have to maintain all the systems, processes and expense to accept cash. Avoiding all that is I'm sure one of their intended outcomes of making this move.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So true. I tried complaining about the cost of hair, nails etc. for the three girls in my life and was quickly assured that my golf course tabs make those costs seem trivial. Rookie mistake.

On the cashless and tips, I simply ask the person running the machine to add the tip so I don't have to touch the machine. Having to touch it defeats the purpose of touch less.
If they wanted to make more money they should find a way to charge for concessions in an anonymous fashion.

"Oh honey! I'm so happy! You donated $40 to the Calgary Pocket Dawg Foundation! Do they save strays?"

- Sure...why not?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #26
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can a business legally refuse to accept cash?
If I am using the legal tender of the land, it should be accepted as payment. If not, than that legal tender is worthless.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #27
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Crap.

So now my wife is going to be able to find out exactly how much I spend on beer and pocket dawgs.

That's why you get a prepaid card from your bank. Load it up for Flames games and yer golden
Lanny'sDaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
That's why you get a prepaid card from your bank. Load it up for Flames games and yer golden
Genius! Thank you sir!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
If I am using the legal tender of the land, it should be accepted as payment. If not, than that legal tender is worthless.
Isn't a credit card just another way of transferring legal tender? It's not like they're shifting to Bitcoin.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #30
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
#### this, pay them reasonably. What tippable work is being done by someone behind a counter, taking cash and handing you items? They aren’t waiting on you. Do we tip people at fast food joints. Nan I hate tip culture, and hate even more that people have to depend on it.
Well I've worked in the service industry and have no issue tipping.
You do you.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #31
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Isn't a credit card just another way of transferring legal tender? It's not like they're shifting to Bitcoin.

Credit cards are a third party payment method whereas the credit card company enters into a deal with the shopkeeper. I think a shopkeeper can refuse payment by Amex, since they may not have a deal in place with Amex.

There is no middleman when it comes to cash - the government backs it. The currency act denotes legal tender as coins and notes.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #32
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Saddledome wants to eliminate cash. Less touching dirty paper & coins. Less interaction between people. Streamlining processes.

Get with it. Get over it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #33
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Oh how far we've come from the days of the lineups at the 2 ATMs blocking the entire concourse every intermission.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #34
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd be stunned if their new machines don't include options for tips. Basically every restaurant I've paid at in the last five years has had a built-in tipping option on the terminal.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #35
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never use cash anyway. So no big deal for me.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #36
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
More businesses are going cashless during the COVID-19 pandemic and are asking customers to use debit, credit or app payments as a precautionary measure.

But some readers, such as Samar D., are asking if it's legal for a retailer to reject payment in cash.

The short answer is yes, a store can refuse to take cash. But it's a little more complicated than that.

The Bank of Canada says it's up to sellers to determine what kinds of payment they will accept for transactions, and there is "no law" that would require anyone to accept bank notes or any other form of payment for a commercial transaction.

However, in certain circumstances, refusing to take cash in a store may actually violate provincial human rights codes.

Michael Bryant, executive director of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA), warns that a store's no-cash policy could inadvertently discriminate against seniors, people who are disabled, impoverished or people who just don't have credit or debit cards
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cash-...ered-1.5609691
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #37
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know that a lot of people really push for the elimination of cash or have stopped using it altogether but it does have it's purpose and one of the major ones is insurance/back up in a time of crisis.

I fully realize that getting a burger or a beer at the Dome isn't some massive emergency but when emergencies do in fact come, having some cash on you can be critical for basic things.

Having been in retail virtually my entire life and in banking for many years, I can assure you just how personal and vulnerable finances and a lack of cash can be. Retailers don't care about what's happened to your bank or credit card, banks try to minimize your and their financial losses in times of fraud.

If you have $20 or $50 in cash for an emergency or if you travel internationally, $100 USD, it can help you get out of a lot of jams.

Time and time again both at the store and at the bank I would hear these stories from clients about how "your machine isn't working" or ""the bank screwed up by blocking my account" or "I was on a trip, I forgot/lost my card and than spent how long on the phone trying to get a replacement sent to Wherever"

I will never forget a time at my family's store during the start of the pandemic when things were looking really scary on the financial side, markets, shutdowns etc. Our debit machine was down, than people trying to use the ATM (different network) was down, people coming in saying their bank ATM wasn't working and others were coming from a taxi who's machine wasn't working.

People who were relying on plastic or phones for payment were scared. They had no method of getting something basic to eat or groceries. This might have been an isolated incident in the area as it wasn't just our store and may have only lasted a short while. Bottom line is that the people who had $10 or $20 were flying by the line getting milk and bread for survival meanwhile others were left holding useless plastic in some ways.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #38
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Well I've worked in the service industry and have no issue tipping.
You do you.
Sure, ignore my main point that was clearly outlined. I’m the #######.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #39
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I'm going out on a limb here because I'm not a lawyer, but here's my guess.

I know there is legislation as to what a busness has to accept as legal tender to pay off a debt, so for example if you owed them $5 (or whatever the number is), they can't refuse to accept 500 pennies. If it's more than whatever that number is, then they can refuse the pennies and demand payment in another way.
The difference being paying off a debt vs starting a transaction. They can refuse to sell you something if they don't take whatever you're offering.
So if you owe money on your season tickets which they have invoiced you for, they can't refuse if you show up with a stack of hundred dollar bills, but they can say "Sorry, I can't sell you this beer, we don't have a way to take your cash".
Old 09-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #40
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd be stunned if their new machines don't include options for tips. Basically every restaurant I've paid at in the last five years has had a built-in tipping option on the terminal.
Then you'll be stunned LOL.

The bars/beer stations will have a tip option, the concessions will not.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote