Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 9/11 - 20 Years Later

A day that will forever be engrained in our memories, I think it'll be one of those rare days where we all remember exactly what we were doing when it unfolded.

Its definitely the first world changing event that I went through as a child.

If anyone has Disney+ I highly recommend the 9/11 Documentary they have on it. The first episode hit me like a ton of bricks - grab a box of kleenex.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 09-08-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #2
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched a good doc on Apple TV for those that have it.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With my fading memories, I still remember that exact day and what happened. I remember waking up for work, and turning on the news and the first plane had hit and it was a horrible accident. I finished showering and shaving and drove to work. I even remember listening to a Van Halen song the way to work.

I got into the office and went to my desk, I had a bunch of meetings that day so I showed up a bit early and turned on the lights and made some coffee so I could prep. I remember the first person in, a fellow Account Manager asked me if I believed what happened. I asked him and he told me about a terrorist attack in New York.

I remember we all followed the story online that day. All of our F5 buttons were worn out. All of my meetings were cancelled. My boss who was a ###### bag told us to get back to work, and we asked him to work on what.

We heard the rumors. Planes falling from the sky, Planes on the way to Vancouver, downtown Calgary being evacuated (my sister was sent home). One of my clients called me up, he was upset, its the end of the world there was going to be a war over this. We went for a beer during a late lunch and I decided not go go back and phoned our my receptionist, she told me the office was shutting down nothing was going to happen.

I remember watching the replays, seeing the horrifying videos of the trade center buildings going down. The stories of the brave cops and the brave firefighters running towards danger.

I remember getting home, stopping at a liquor store and buying some whiskey and sitting at home watching the news all night long.

It was a horrifying day. I had a friend in the states who wanted to join the army that day. Friends of friends that worked in the financial district in new york that you worry about. My Sister who was a doctor was in New York for a medical conference, it took til the next day for the phones to unsnarl so she could call us and let us know she was all right.

Since then, after a period where American's came together, the world in my mind started its journey to becoming a more evil place.

A few years later I went to New York for business and standing at the site of the World Trade Centers, which was walled off for the rebuild. It was a weird sensation, because the walk through to protect people from the construction, filtered out the noise from NewYork, so it was strangely quiet when I stood there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #4
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Netflix has a docuseries on now too. The 20ish years leading up to it, the events and the 20ish years after.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:57 PM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My brother was in air flying from Minneapols to Boston when the planes hit the twin towers

His flight was diverted to Detroit like many other planes that were in the air. Word got around the cabin while they were taxing to the gate that 2 planes had crashed into the twin towers. He came off the plane to see people crying in the arrivals area with countless people viewing the TV screens as the events of the day were updated. It was like a scene out of a terrorist movie - very surreal he said.

Then came the mad rush for rental cars. Everyone was in a panic to find a way to get home. My brother got lucky and managed to rent a van. His travel agent was on the ball and got him a vehicle as the plane was landing. Himself and 4 other guys shared the vehicle for the long journey home. People were milling around the rental car lots looking for those that got lucky enough to find a a vehicle and if they had extra room.

After the planes began flying again I asked him if he had any fears of flying. He said if i don't board that plane the terrorists have won! That's how he viewed 9/11. Part of the goal of the terrorists was to install fear in the hearts of the flying public. Getting on that plane was his way of fighting back

He commented that when the planes began flying there was this uneasy silence about the passengers. Memories of 9/11 were quite fresh in thier minds and they were quite nervous. The cabin was deathly quiet. Anyone that looked Muslin was reported to flight stewards and removed from the plane. People were paranoid at the time and lived in fear.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:59 PM   #6
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The U.S. truly came together as a nation after that horrifying day, and the entire world was with them for a while. Unfortunately that country is so incredibly broken these days, it'll probably be decades before we see that kind of unity again...if ever. Over the last several years they've essentially split into two separate countries. I was hoping the fight against Covid would be that unifying event that would finally bring Americans back together again. Sadly, it only seemed to divide them even further.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 12:08 AM   #7
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post

A day that will forever be engrained in our memories, I think it'll be one of those rare days where we all remember exactly what we were doing when it unfolded.

Its definitely the first world changing event that I went through as a child.

If anyone has Disney+ I highly recommend the 9/11 Documentary they have on it. The first episode hit me like a ton of bricks - grab a box of kleenex.
9/11 - one day in America is a great watch. Hard to watch, but good.

We have been watching it with our kids. Probably not great for younger kids.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on episode 3 of that Nat Geo documentary and yeah, it's a heavy, tough watch. But it's also a really important watch. It's easy to remember the towers burning and the enormity of what happened, along with the years long fallout but it's the individual stories that are so important. Those are the ones I'm most invested in now. I love how that documentary doesn't have a cheesy narrator, or a grave, dramatic soundtrack. It's horrific just showing it how it happened, and it's so effective in pulling you into it.

Also worth keeping in mind how abysmally the first responders have been treated since then. This is another video worth watching (again) and a topic worth reflecting on in the next few days.

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was my second day at University.

I remember watching coverage on CNN from a TV in Mac Hall.

I watched the second plane hit the tower live. It was pretty crazy.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I flew to NYC on Nov. 11th, two months later. It was the only time I was ever nervous flying. When the plane approached Kennedy, we were put in a holding pattern, and circled for 30+ minutes. Might have been the longest 30 minutes of my life. Irrational fears took over.

The next day, a plane crashed on take off from Kennedy. I was supposed to be on a plane later that day, but most, if not all remaining flights were cancelled that day for fear of terrorist involvement. I got home by taking Amtrak to Toronto, then flying home from Toronto a few days later
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The National did a good piece on the last guy out of the towers, a Canadian.

This completely affected him, it was tough to watch. The pain to this day was evident.

What a weight to carry on your shoulders, your co-workers dying and you living.

####ing Horrible.

Found it

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 09-09-2021 at 09:08 AM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
With my fading memories, I still remember that exact day and what happened.
My pre-teenage ass didn't understand the significance.
I just remember getting up, getting ready for school, and all the channels on TV were showing this instead of my regularly scheduled cartoons

Even after teachers at school talked about it, I'm not sure I understood...
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post

A day that will forever be engrained in our memories, I think it'll be one of those rare days where we all remember exactly what we were doing when it unfolded...
The massive reach that the events had in the moment have provided researchers a tonne of data for studying so-called "flash-bulb" memories, and the results are revealing. While each and every one of us is dead certain about everything we experienced in those moments, on that day, numerous studies have shown that most of us are completely wrong about all sorts of things that seem to us as doubtless.

For example, I also remember very clearly watching the second plane hit the S. Tower live, just as I was getting ready to head to work that morning. My wife is convinced she watched it with me, but it happened @0600 here on the coast, and I am sure she was still sleeping.

We both share the same certainty about our own memories, but clearly at least one of us is completely wrong about it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-09-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #14
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was working in a pub in Halifax that day. We were doing morning prep and the delivery guy came in and told us what was happening, so we left the kitchen, turned on the TVs and not long after that the first tower collapsed. The rest of the day everyone was pretty numb.

I was pretty proud of Halifax in the following week, because the city stepped up and really looked after all the people who were stranded by grounded flights.

Considering that the goal was to destabilize the West, and seeing how divided, paranoid and angry America (and Canada too, really) has become after 9/11, I wonder if the terrorists didn't actually win after all?

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #15
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was a contractor working at NavCan. Everyone at NavCan was airplane-crazy, so when the first plane hit, people started offering theories of what could have happened. When the second plane hit, there was an uneasy silence. Then someone said out loud "A plane just crashed into the Pentagon. This is war. We are in a war.". I still remember the chill I felt when I heard those words. Soon after, an announcement came on the intercom ordering all contractors and other non-staff to leave the building immediately. When I left, there was a crowd of people around a tv playing in the foyer. I went home, and my wife was oblivious as she hadn't turned on the tv or radio that day. The tv was on the rest of the day. A friend spearheaded a drive to go donate blood as "there will probably be a big demand". The rest of that week I don't remember any details, only a sense of great sadness and uncertainty.

I attended a Microsoft conference in LA in October. I went with two colleagues. I was nervous. At LAX, the airport was filled with military personnel with very large guns - the largest I'd seen in real life. My one colleague did not attend the keynote given by Bill Gates - what better target than a large group of highly-skilled tech personnel along with one of the tech leaders of the world? After the keynote went without a hitch, everyone seemed to relax. But I was happy to be back on Canadian soil again.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #16
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The massive reach that the events had in the moment have provided researchers a tonne of data for studying so-called "flash-bulb" memories, and the results are revealing. While each and every one of us is dead certain about everything we experienced in those moments, on that day, numerous studies have shown that most of us are completely wrong about all sorts of things that seem to us as doubtless.

For example, I also remember very clearly watching the second plane hit the S. Tower live, just as I was getting ready to head to work that morning. My wife is convinced she watched it with me, but it happened @0600 here on the coast, and I am sure she was still sleeping.

We both share the same certainty about our own memories, but clearly at least one of us is completely wrong about it.

I instantly thought of this when the stories started flowing. I didn't want to derail, but will happily tag along now ;-)

Radiolab has a good episode on memory: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...and-forgetting

And also the revisionist history podcast had a good episode about the topic and newsman Brian Williams: https://www.pushkin.fm/episode/free-brian-williams/

Just fascinating stuff. And as you mention, 9/11 ended up being an event that allowed us to really document the process. I think the RH podcast even has the host and a friend share their 9/11 stories over multiple years to hammer home the point. (its been a while though so I may be misrembering )
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #17
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

An event that changed the world. I still get chills thinking about that day. The best documentary, IMO, is the one from inside the towers: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312318/

I was only 11 when this happened. I still remember the day vividly. I hadn't set my alarm and woke up a bit too late to have my shower. Wondered why my mom hadn't come to wake me up. When I got downstairs she was just sitting up staring at the TV, the 2nd plane had just struck the tower ~5 minutes prior and she was sitting there like a zombie watching. I just plopped down beside her to watch too. Didn't go to school that day.

We went to Disney Land in November 2001. I remember fully armed national guard members were doing airport security in LAX. There wasn't a single lineup in all of Disney land. But most of all I remember how somber everyone was. It seemed like the whole world was trapped and twisted that morning.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #18
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I just graduated high school.. I think the world has been total $%^ ever since.

I miss the days when OJ Simpson or Elian Gonzales were the biggest things to see on the news
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:46 AM   #19
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember the flames were playing the Wild (99% sure on this) when the game got postponed, i was in grade 7 math class
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #20
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

This x 1000!

I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday but I vividly remember so many specific details about that day. My dad was dropping me off early at high school, listened to the news breaking on the radio about the first plane and that it was pilot error most likely. Then heard at school about the second plane. I then remember first seeing the towers come down at home after school and I vividly remember everything about the living room, the pictures we had on the wall, where I was standing in the room and looking out the window into the backyard and just overwhelming shock.

Earth shattering day. Still gives me the chills just typing this out. And still in disbelief every time I watch replays of the towers coming down.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote