Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #261
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is exactly my take as well.

What blows me away is that there are a bunch of people who are the exact opposite. Like “uncle bubba is spitting mad about Trudeau. If uncle bubba is this mad then whatever he says must be true”

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Speaking for myself (and I consider myself pretty informed of the options), I’ve even found here that a lot of the extreme dramatics around Trudeau has actually softened my view of him and made me question some things. I’ve always been of the mind that the majority of people wouldn’t actually care about the scandals (said as much last year), but the over the top posts about him being a dictator, worse than Trump, controlling the media, etc and the constant rehash of stuff we’ve been over (blackface, among others) instead of any relevant commentary has actually swayed me to take it even less seriously.

The crazies have actually succeeded in making criticism of Trudeau look… crazy. It’s not, and shouldn’t be. But it’s pretty hard not to question yourself a little bit when a very loud section that agrees with you happens to be conspiracy theorists and other nutjobs. Especially when a lot of what you would consider fair and moderate critics just nod along with the crazies (assuming because their criticism is pointed in a desirable direction).

Pretty funny, I guess. The more unhinged your critics look, the better you look when they’re critical of you.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:01 AM   #262
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Kind of surprised by the dislike of OToole, a fighter pilot lawyer seems better credentialed than Trudeau was when he first ran for PM.

Just to clarify O'Toole was a tactical navigator and not a pilot.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cal_guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #263
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are equally dangerous crazies in all three major parties. I’m not voting based on that.

Fears that O Toole will wade into reproductive rights is similar to the fear peddling I heard when Harper was leader. I fell for it that time, and thankfully what I got was years of calm mostly competent scandal free government and a great tax regime.

CPC seems to have swung quite a bit to the left. It’s attractive to me as an alternative to the liberals.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #264
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
This is exactly my take as well.

What blows me away is that there are a bunch of people who are the exact opposite. Like “uncle bubba is spitting mad about Trudeau. If uncle bubba is this mad then whatever he says must be true”
I don’t necessarily agree with you and Pepsi’s take on this. Who I vote for will be based on the track record of the current government (yes, all 6 years of it) and what the options are to replace them.

If you chose to vote for someone because someone else doesn’t like them, that is your choice. I will be making my choice based on facts and track record.

To each their own.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #265
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any interest in turning this thread into a poll?
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #266
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/waytowichneil/st...707369472?s=21
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #267
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty thrilled today because I got a Rhino Party sign on my lawn. My neighbour has one for Farkas (I know, different election) and he might not share my enthusiasm.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #268
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

So the other day I jokingly posted that I was debating voting Marxist-Leninist in hopes that they beat the PPC in my riding.

Last night was the candidates debate, and sweet mother Mary and Josephine's jalopy the Marxist-Leninst candidate mopped the floor with everyone. She was far an away the best on stage (at least for the first 45 minutes, I haven't finished listening to the entire debate).

cbvotes.com it's the Sydney-Victoria debate. If you want to see the PPC candidate be heckled by the ML candidate and get incredibly flustered go to 40:50

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #269
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm pretty thrilled today because I got a Rhino Party sign on my lawn. My neighbour has one for Farkas (I know, different election) and he might not share my enthusiasm.
See, I'd do this, but I looked at the Rhino party and their website just isn't all that funny. I remember it being funny in previous elections, but this time... nah.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #270
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
See, I'd do this, but I looked at the Rhino party and their website just isn't all that funny. I remember it being funny in previous elections, but this time... nah.
I thought it was amusing, and for me it’s a great protest vote. I know the CPC will win my riding in a walk, and my MP was one who voted in favour of conversion therapy. For me, that’s a dealbreaker. I can’t vote Liberal, refuse to vote for the National Debt Party and that gets me down to the Maverick or PPC. Those are pretty radical for me, so the Rhino party lines right up.

And you know what? If by the fluke of all flukes this young fellow were to wind up in Ottawa he’d probably work harder than a back-bencher we’re stuck with anyway.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #271
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought it was amusing, and for me it’s a great protest vote. I know the CPC will win my riding in a walk, and my MP was one who voted in favour of conversion therapy. For me, that’s a dealbreaker. I can’t vote Liberal, refuse to vote for the National Debt Party and that gets me down to the Maverick or PPC. Those are pretty radical for me, so the Rhino party lines right up.

And you know what? If by the fluke of all flukes this young fellow were to wind up in Ottawa he’d probably work harder than a back-bencher we’re stuck with anyway.
My thought is that in non competitive ridings we should vote liberal. Alberta needs to show our votes are up for grabs. I can’t bring myself to do that so Rhino it is. Maybe NDP.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #272
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone in Calgary Confederation, where is the election battle happening? It sure isn't in Varsity as there are pretty much no lawn signs anymore and I haven't seen any door hangers or flyers in my mailbox from any candidate. You wouldn't even know there is a federal election. There are more lawn signs for mayoral candidates here than federal candidates.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #273
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This election also has me considering Rhino because I feel that if I vote Conservative, Liberal or NDP I am just voting for the lesser of evils, in three oceans full of it.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #274
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
My thought is that in non competitive ridings we should vote liberal. Alberta needs to show our votes are up for grabs. I can’t bring myself to do that so Rhino it is. Maybe NDP.
Does Alberta really need to do that? You win the election regardless of what Alberta does. Why would you pander to Alberta at the expense of other areas when the votes don't matter?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #275
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Does Alberta really need to do that? You win the election regardless of what Alberta does. Why would you pander to Alberta at the expense of other areas when the votes don't matter?
The Conservatives have no need to do anything for Alberta because they know our votes are a lock.
Every other party has no incentive to do anything for Alberta because they know our votes aren't available.

Unless Albertans are willing to stop treating political parties like sports teams, we will continue to have governments that are uninterested in our province's issues.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #276
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The Conservatives have no need to do anything for Alberta because they know our votes are a lock.
Every other party has no incentive to do anything for Alberta because they know our votes aren't available.

Unless Albertans are willing to stop treating political parties like sports teams, we will continue to have governments that are uninterested in our province's issues.
The votes still don't matter. You don't need them to win. Why would the liberals pander? In fact pandering would likely hurt them elsewhere so if everyone suddenly voted liberal nothing would change. The only pandering would be from the PC's because they need the votes to win. No one else does.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #277
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
For anyone in Calgary Confederation, where is the election battle happening? It sure isn't in Varsity as there are pretty much no lawn signs anymore and I haven't seen any door hangers or flyers in my mailbox from any candidate. You wouldn't even know there is a federal election. There are more lawn signs for mayoral candidates here than federal candidates.
I'm in Renfrew and it's the same here. There's one house on 8th Ave that has so many signs for Sigler, that I assume it must be his house. Other than that, there's a few signs for the Cons and Libs, even a couple Green and NDP, but nothing significant for any of them.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #278
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anecdotally, Siglar signs are all over Calgary Confederation. Even the energy mecca of Rosedale has...well, some

Far more support than i expected to see. And i'm not talking about the carpet bombing at condederation park, on boulevards, etc
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #279
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Unfortunately, the sad truth of your first two sentences does not flow well into your conclusion. There is no good (or bad) way for Alberta to be heard and influence Canadian federal politics under the circumstances. None. We are irrelevant in a big picture and we are made more and more irrelevant by the Eastern politicians siphoning tax dollars towards all sorts of meaningless climate action initiatives and slowly killing the oil and gas industry. All federal parties are doing it now without exception.

Looks like the only answer is separation and self-determination.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #280
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Looks like the only answer is separation and self-determination.
Tee-hee.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote