Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Where's Doug Henning when you need him

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whatever happens, I hope the media focus' some attention on the board of the PC party.
Who are these people that can censure the Premier and put her on notice that if she doesn't ship up she will be sent out.

Maybe it is because I just finished watching House of Cards but the idea that the party president and the rest of the board have more power than the leader of the province makes it look really crooked.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Whatever happens, I hope the media focus' some attention on the board of the PC party.
Who are these people that can censure the Premier and put her on notice that if she doesn't ship up she will be sent out.

Maybe it is because I just finished watching House of Cards but the idea that the party president and the rest of the board have more power than the leader of the province makes it look really crooked.
Isn't that basically the same as any party? The leaders have power, but its not absolute.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #24
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Isn't that basically the same as any party? The leaders have power, but its not absolute.
I served on the board of the Wildrose party for a while and never felt like we had the power to dictate to any of the politicians.

My take on our role was to run the operational side of the party while the elected MLAs took care of the politics.

Maybe it just never came up and I had a lot more power than I was aware of, but from what I saw the board was in charge of things like fundraising and supporting the constituency associations in their efforts to identify candidates and hold candidate selection events.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I served on the board of the Wildrose party for a while and never felt like we had the power to dictate to any of the politicians.

My take on our role was to run the operational side of the party while the elected MLAs took care of the politics.

Maybe it just never came up and I had a lot more power than I was aware of, but from what I saw the board was in charge of things like fundraising and supporting the constituency associations in their efforts to identify candidates and hold candidate selection events.
I suppose that's true as well. I guess its just not a total vacuum where the leader has absolute authority and can make any decision they like. They're elected by the party and do have to maintain their confidence.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #26
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard Jim Prentice has bigger aspiration like succeeding Harper.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #27
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Bunk, are you saying leadership is a non-issue? I don't understand what you mean.
What I mean is - no matter who becomes leader, are the PCs still just DOA in the next election?

Personally, I think they'll need an outsider to have any chance of resurrecting themselves. But I'm not sure even that will stave off the collapse of the dynasty.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #28
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
What I mean is - no matter who becomes leader, are the PCs still just DOA in the next election?

Personally, I think they'll need an outsider to have any chance of resurrecting themselves. But I'm not sure even that will stave off the collapse of the dynasty.
If the PC's have proven anything in their existence, it's that they are extremely skilled at recreating themselves into a mode that people will vote for at election time. I think the PCs are far from dead, but they have a lot of work to do.
Maccalus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #29
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
?..
Personally, I think they'll need an outsider to have any chance of resurrecting themselves...
Bunk, please tell me this IS happening. I've called it back in October!
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #30
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dinning wouldn't spin well in Edmonton, I don't think. Edmonton is very wary of a Calgary-centric premier after the Klein era.

Redford won Edmonton seats because it was a backlash against the WR, not because she was popular here.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ric McIver or Gary Mar would be my initial choice among the big names.

In terms of a long shot candidate I think Yvonne Fritz from Calgary could be a good leader for the province but I don't think she would be interested in the job.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #32
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #33
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Jim Prentice! Yeah, he'd be great, but that's a pipe dream.

If we're throwing out dream candidates, I want Bret "The Hitman" Hart.

Realistically, we'll probably end up with someone boring like Doug Horner (I always get Doug Horner and Doug Griffiths mixed up - the one with the goatee).
Good fit - the Hit Man is about as articulate as the current cadre, stroke or no stroke.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #34
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't under-estimate the any "Anybody but WRP" vote though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Ric McIver or Gary Mar would be my initial choice among the big names.
Has McIver developed some ideas of things he believes in, or is he still just a guy who says no to everything? If he's still the same old Ric, he'd be quite the crappy leader.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #35
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

McIver is a good man - honest, kind, straightforward and non–sleazy. This is why he will never be a successful politician on a grand scale. I've known Rick for many years and I speak from utmost respect for the guy.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #36
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Has McIver developed some ideas of things he believes in, or is he still just a guy who says no to everything? If he's still the same old Ric, he'd be quite the crappy leader.
Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Dr.No during the 2010 Municipal election, but since then it seems as though he has changed his political demeanour.

Maybe he was humbled a bit after feeling like a shoe-in in 2010, but to me he does seem like a changed politician. (if there is such a thing).
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #37
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

twice this morning the name Nenshi came up from different people. Bunk would know more than this speculation, but the name came up from different people here in Edmonton.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #38
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
twice this morning the name Nenshi came up from different people. Bunk would know more than this speculation, but the name came up from different people here in Edmonton.
I'd rather reinstate Redford.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #39
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watch for it. We've got a Klein-like ascent coming up.

P.S. What's really interesting (and, perhaps, a little creepy) is that this scenario was actively discussed 6 months ago.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 03-20-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #40
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably because he didn't exactly say no in his statement, which was awesome by the way, yesterday.

Quote:
When asked about his own political future -- specifically whether he would be running for the leadership of the Alberta PC Party -- Nenshi didn't say he was going to. But he didn't say he wasn't going to either.

"There will be lots and lots and lots of opportunities to talk about lots and lots and lots of different people," he said. "I can tell you, regardless of whatever role I'm in personally, I will take a very serious part in this next election, always fighting for the interests of Calgarians and Albertans.”
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/talki...-out-1.1737909
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta , leadership race , pc party