Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #1181
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Anyone else having connection issues? Just lost internet and TV. NW Calgary (Tuscany).

so much for WFH and the kids are freaking out - one in the middle of a Zoom meeting for work and the other in the middle of spring class (university).

Just went down at about 2:15pm
Mine drop around the same time but came up in about 5-10 minutes.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #1182
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, came back in about 15 minutes or so for us. All good now.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #1183
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone on Shaw Mobile that resides outside of the Shaw Mobile Network area? More specifically Okotoks? I wanted to get onto the $25/mo. mobile plan but my street falls between Variable Network and the Nation Wide one, meaning I would probably be roaming when at home so i'm not sure if I would have decent coverage?

Thanks in advance.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #1184
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
Anyone on Shaw Mobile that resides outside of the Shaw Mobile Network area? More specifically Okotoks? I wanted to get onto the $25/mo. mobile plan but my street falls between Variable Network and the Nation Wide one, meaning I would probably be roaming when at home so i'm not sure if I would have decent coverage?

Thanks in advance.
how much data do you actually need? You can get nationwide talk and text plus 3GB for $15 and not worry about zones and what not.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #1185
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone noticed that TSN has added a 4K channel? Shaw Blue Curve only does 1080p but hopefully one of these days I can see what the 4K channel is like.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #1186
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Has anyone noticed that TSN has added a 4K channel? Shaw Blue Curve only does 1080p but hopefully one of these days I can see what the 4K channel is like.
The great thing is I have a Blue Curve “4K” box as it states on my bill, but it only does streaming services (ie: Netflix) in 4K.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #1187
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The great thing is I have a Blue Curve “4K” box as it states on my bill, but it only does streaming services (ie: Netflix) in 4K.
I have the 4K equipment as well but when I check the resolution options the max I set it to is 1080p. I'm doing a system refresh to see if it will update something so that I can set it 4k.

Edit: I figured out my problem. There was a setting in my AVR that was not allowing the cable box to detect the 4K display. Not that my AVR is not limiting the source to 1080 I'm excited to see if a TSN broadcast in 4K is noticeably better.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 09-23-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #1188
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I randomly noticed the new channels last night as well. My box (Blue Curve Xi6) has always connected to the TV at 2160p (4K), but of course the broadcasts were never more than 1080p. I am interested to see if I can notice the difference. I am also interested if the cloud PVR will record content in 4K and if so, will it still fill my capacity by the hour despite 4K using so much more bandwidth.

I have tried some 4K/UHD content on Amazon, and I was briefly subscribed to the 4K Netflix tier. The resolution difference was only slightly noticeable to me, but the improved dynamic range (shadows, colours, etc.) was definitely better. Screen size and distance from TV are factors too.

The first 4K broadcast on TSN is the Alouettes vs. the Argos tonight at 5:30 MT. Here is TSN's schedule, that ends today but will no doubt be updated: https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-4k-broadcast-schedule-1.900579

Sportsnet doesn't appear to publish a 4K broadcast schedule, but hopefully some of the national Flames games are offered in 4K.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #1189
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Now if TSN could finally release an Android TV app, or at least upgrade their regular Android app to allow 60fps. I haven't watched any CFL this year because watching any sports in 30fps is painful, and having to use my phone to cast it is an extra annoyance
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #1190
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I recently noticed the new channel as well and was immediately excited.

Are you saying that, with a Blue Curve box, it is irrelevant?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #1191
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just chatted with 'my guy' at K&W (they are great, btw) and he says the Blue Curve box is 4K compatible, so I should be able to receive 4K assuming Shaw is actually broadcasting in 4K.

It would be mindnumbingly stupid of Shaw to throw the channel up and then not actually pump it out in 4K, but it is Shaw, so....
Old 09-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #1192
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW, it isn't just TSN, there are also 2 Sportsnet channels (SN4K and SN1-4K)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #1193
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I recently noticed the new channel as well and was immediately excited.

Are you saying that, with a Blue Curve box, it is irrelevant?

Just chatted with 'my guy' at K&W (they are great, btw) and he says the Blue Curve box is 4K compatible, so I should be able to receive 4K assuming Shaw is actually broadcasting in 4K.

It would be mindnumbingly stupid of Shaw to throw the channel up and then not actually pump it out in 4K, but it is Shaw, so....
Your post asking me that is basically answered by the second part of the post. I haven't seen anything on Shaw that was actually 4K. So I'm hopeful that it actually ... y'know, is broadcast is 4K.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #1194
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your post asking me that is basically answered by the second part of the post. I haven't seen anything on Shaw that was actually 4K. So I'm hopeful that it actually ... y'know, is broadcast is 4K.
I think it is safe to assume that most content will be mirrored from the regular HD channels, as very little is actually produced in 4K. The exceptions will be those token live sports events.

The CFL game tonight at 5:30 is in 4K according to TSN, and Shaw has these fancy new 4K channels. So.... we shall see. I am preparing for flipping between the HD and 4K versions and squinting to see if I can see anything different!

I would be interested to hear what other experience.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #1195
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I went and asked my guy and got the answer (those posts were an hour apart)
Old 09-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #1196
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

After comparing the 4K broadcast with the HD last night, there was a noticeable difference. Sharper and more detailed.

Recording, however, didn’t work. It seemed to record, but the playback was just a grey screen with the audio. The app also didn’t show the recording. I knew it wouldn’t do 4K on the app, but I thought that the recording might show up in the app’s list.

I’m a big “timeshifter” with my sports (record, avoid score, watch when the kid is in bed), so it looks like the 4K is more of bonus if you’re watching live on the couch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #1197
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if SN plans on doing any hockey in 4K this season? I assume they will offer some of the early HNIC games (ie Leafs) in 4K.

Edit: I just noticed that the Leafs game tonight is in 4K.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 09-25-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #1198
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I checked out the Vancouver/Seattle game tonight to see what a 4K SN broadcast is like and the color is so much brighter in 4K. In the regular HD broadcast the teal stripe on the Seattle jersey is really muted whereas in 4K the stripe almost glows it is so bright.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #1199
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our 2 year plan is coming up for renewal in December, so SHAW is trying to get me to go on the new Fibre+ 750 with the new modem for the same price I'm paying now. As I understand it, the new modem duplicates features I already have in my TP-Link Deco system, so I'm not really wanting to go to the new platform and just want to stay with my existing 300 service and Hitron modem.

That being said, any compelling reason to go to the Fibre+ 750 other than bandwidth increase? Can the new modems be put in pass through mode?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #1200
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Our 2 year plan is coming up for renewal in December, so SHAW is trying to get me to go on the new Fibre+ 750 with the new modem for the same price I'm paying now. As I understand it, the new modem duplicates features I already have in my TP-Link Deco system, so I'm not really wanting to go to the new platform and just want to stay with my existing 300 service and Hitron modem.

That being said, any compelling reason to go to the Fibre+ 750 other than bandwidth increase? Can the new modems be put in pass through mode?
I have the XB6 (Fibre Gateway 1.0) which has a bridge mode switch in the admin settings, so I assume the latest XB7 has the same option. if your cost isn't going up for higher bandwidth, I'd probably just do it and keep the Deco in place. they'll try to hawk the wifi pods but from what I read they suck compared to all but the cheapest mesh routers.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post: