Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #21
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Depends, if we still have Sutter then we don't get Gaudreau. I don't know why it's so hard to give Feaster credit for anything.
Because he sucked ass as a GM. He'll never see another executive role in the NHL ever again.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #22
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Didn't he also want to trade every pick in that draft for MacKinnon?
Monahan and Klimchuk are the only 2 players left from that draft, I trade those 2 for MacKinnon no problem.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

CSKA Moscow?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #24
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Feaster didn't scout. That's why.

I'm not going to give him credit for discovering a talent when he didn't, and for giving the ok to pick the kid in the 4th round.
Exactly. NOT picking Monahan was not in cards. Even with this forum’s collective very limited knowledge, Monahan was clearly a poll winner to be picked over Lindholm. If anything, Feaster did a lot more damage than good trading away Iginla and Bouwmester for the first round picks that turned out wasted on bad choices and for the lame prospects he was able to get along. No doubt, our scouting team f...ed up big time then (as they have been for the past 20 years), but Feaster, as a GM gets to share the biggest blame for that year.

As for Gaudreau - easy to credit Feaster now, but if he or anyone else had clearly seen Johnny’s potential then, Gaudreau would have been picked much much earlier. They didn’t. Pure luck. More like a Datsyuk or Zetterberg situation.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #25
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan and Klimchuk are the only 2 players left from that draft, I trade those 2 for MacKinnon no problem.
Well since we are looking at hindsight now, you would have been screwed with this trade 3 years ago.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #26
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Monahan was a can't miss and the decision was ultimately made for the Flames at #6.

Without Todd Button we don't get Gaudreau.
And without Feaster but with Tod Button, we might get both Gaudreau and Kucherov.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back OT: Looking at cap and the fact that the Canucks had Sedin and Kesler at C I doubt they were the one.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #28
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Depends, if we still have Sutter then we don't get Gaudreau. I don't know why it's so hard to give Feaster credit for anything.
The flames had a few secret players on the list and kucherov was the other secret guy on the list. They didn't want to miss out on Johnny and took him. I think Boston was mad that we got him. The story was that they did not interview Johnny at all, keep it under the radar.
I heard it on the radio a few years back. Great story.
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cantrader For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #29
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The way that mess unfolded I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames were the other team too!

Very well played sir
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #31
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With Jay we almost lost Monahan for a guy who couldn't play in the NHL for the rest of that year! Thank god the Avs matched.

Given who else we got in that draft, looks like the right idea doesn't it? Monahan is great, but MacKinnon is the most explosive player in the game not named McDavid.

As for Feaster. Jay loved to call the impossible shot. He loved being the smartest guy in the room.

The Gaudreau selection doesn't happen with Sutter. If all Feaster did was draft Gaudreau, that's enough to make him alright in my book. Glad Treliving is the guy, but credit where credit is due - the man drafted two franchise players including a great find in the 4th round.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #32
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Feaster letting his scouts draft Gaudreau excuse him for the laundry list of horrible moves he made in his 3 years here?

This offer sheet nearly crippled the rebuild before it got started. The Regehr, Iginla, Bouwmeester trades were horrendous. Even the Tanguay deal was a bad one. I will give him credit on Erixon and Bourque who were solid deals at the time and in hindsight.

Sutter turned the team into a laughing stock with the Phaneuf, Jokiene trades followed by the Jokinen re-sign. It seems like Feaster just added to it in his time here. He would tell the TSN panel to “write it down” the team would make the playoffs.

It was a black mark on the organization and one of the reasons he was fired was the perception of the team league wide. Feaster was the GM that drafted Gaudreau and he cleared the deck cap wise (largely due to trading Iggy, Bouw and Kipper retiring)

I will always remember the Feaster era as one of the more embarrassing times as a Flames fan especially since it occurred during one of our rivals heydays
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #33
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Does Feaster letting his scouts draft Gaudreau excuse him for the laundry list of horrible moves he made in his 3 years here?

This offer sheet nearly crippled the rebuild before it got started. The Regehr, Iginla, Bouwmeester trades were horrendous. Even the Tanguay deal was a bad one. I will give him credit on Erixon and Bourque who were solid deals at the time and in hindsight.

Sutter turned the team into a laughing stock with the Phaneuf, Jokiene trades followed by the Jokinen re-sign. It seems like Feaster just added to it in his time here. He would tell the TSN panel to “write it down” the team would make the playoffs.

It was a black mark on the organization and one of the reasons he was fired was the perception of the team league wide. Feaster was the GM that drafted Gaudreau and he cleared the deck cap wise (largely due to trading Iggy, Bouw and Kipper retiring)

I will always remember the Feaster era as one of the more embarrassing times as a Flames fan especially since it occurred during one of our rivals heydays
No, it doesn't excuse the RoR calamity, but ultimately that worked out and we have Monahan and Gaudreau. So thanks, Jay.

Feaster's playoff guarantee is overrated. Go watch that segment again, or don't doesn't matter, James Duthie's clearly goading Jay, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of actual weight behind that guarantee. Feaster even makes a joke at his own expense about it. So I don't think it's fair to take that as some sort of Messier moment that just didn't turn out

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 07-17-2018 at 03:48 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would trade Monahan, Lindholm, Lazar, Poirier, Shinkaruk, and Klimchuk for Nathan MacKinnon. He's an elite talent.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #35
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, tough crowd. Feaster not getting any credit for drafting Gaudreau and getting blamed for what didn't happen with the ROR mess.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #36
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With Jay we almost lost Monahan for a guy who couldn't play in the NHL for the rest of that year! Thank god the Avs matched.

Yes he did. And I'd still be okay with MacKinnon for Monahan/Poirier/Klimchuk.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #37
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Even with this forum’s collective very limited knowledge, Monahan was clearly a poll winner to be picked over Lindholm.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...light=lindholm

Coin toss, Lindholm with slightly more votes.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #38
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
And without Feaster but with Tod Button, we might get both Gaudreau and Kucherov.
Swishhhh.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #39
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
No, it doesn't excuse the RoR calamity, but ultimately that worked out and we have Monahan and Gaudreau. So thanks, Jay.

Feaster's playoff guarantee is overrated. Go watch that segment again, or don't doesn't matter, James Duthie's clearly goading Jay, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of actual weight behind that guarantee. Feaster even makes a joke at his own expense about it. So I don't think it's fair to take that as some sort of Messier moment that just didn't turn out
I was never a fan of Feaster so opposed to being an apologist I would classify myself as a harsh critic. We will have to agree to disagree as I feel he was a massive failure here. I am glad he drafted Gaudreau and refused to trade him but pretty much everything else is meh. Giving him credit for Monahan would be like giving Chia credit for McDavid. He was the slam dunk choice at the time and we are lucky the Hurricanes liked Lindholm more.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #40
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that Feaster did right was declining 6th OA (Monahan) and Gaudreau for Seguin.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote